The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 6, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4,982 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is cocky as hell and already generates an immediate dislike of you.

C'mon......your being dramatic and overly sensitive don't you think ? I figured the wink was worth a roll...I guess you don't share my sense of humor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a subjective statistic you pulled out of your arse or one with empirical evidence? Because if it's not provable your eye roll was highly uncalled for and deserves to be raised a whole face palm
facepalmua8.gif

It based on years of experience (mine, I stated that). Please spare me the righteous indignation I've not insulted you nor implied anything other than what is obvious to me (at least). The subject is an endless debate and as such should be viewed and treated and such...that is why I posted the rolled eyes.

Peete.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4,983 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Citing what the pros use is also a bit odd. Most pro gear isn't as expensive as the gear we deal with.

Pro gear is used at the mastering stage so performance is critical. This is near my classification of high-end because the goal is completely put onto accurate reproduction.

What we as head-fiers use is open to subjectivity which opens a can of worms. It also creates a debate for what's considered high-end and what's not. When one argues for what's "better" we need to set a ground level that is not subjective. Real world measurements is about the best we can go by IMO.

Either way we should probably get away from the topic . . . it's just going to lead to a huge argument that no one will benefit from.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #4,984 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Citing what the pros use is also a bit odd. Most pro gear isn't as expensive as the gear we deal with.

Some of it is extremely expensive, it just depends on how far you are willing to go to get the best SQ...it's no different than this side of the hobby in that sense.

The attitudes between the 2 camps on how to go about that, however, are entirely different, but that's another subject entirely.

Peete.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #4,985 of 7,725
Has anyone else noticed the "Compass effect"? Often, I sit here, immersed in music during the evening. Midnight comes along... "Just one more track". 1am... 2am... 3am... and I'm still here, telling myself "Just the one more track"...

I dread to think how many times I've been - forcefully - kept from my bed by that blasted Kingwa! We all think he's a god - we're wrong. He's the devil, selling superb-quality gear designed to make us fulfil our own desires rather than listen to rational thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #4,986 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else noticed the "Compass effect"? Often, I sit here, immersed in music during the evening. Midnight comes along... "Just one more track". 1am... 2am... 3am... and I'm still here, telling myself "Just the one more track"...

I dread to think how many times I've been - forcefully - kept from my bed by that blasted Kingwa! We all think he's a god - we're wrong. He's the devil, selling superb-quality gear designed to make us fulfil our own desires rather than listen to rational thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Oh yes AP......many a time I've done exactly what you've talked about (with the FrankenZERO too)...the last incident was last evening (er this morning
smily_headphones1.gif
). Up till 4:30 am listening intently to the RE1 in the main system.

The Compass and the C-2C inspire similar marathons that whittle away at ones self discipline leading to that oh so fashionable baggy eyed look at work the next morning
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #4,987 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

It happens to me anytime I'm listening to quality gear I enjoy. I was up till 5AM listening when I was supposed to be typing a paper . . .

The paper is still not done >_>

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #4,988 of 7,725
2 am today....guilty as charged (although it was not with the compass)
My wallet is still resisting........resistance is futile...I will be assimilated......

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #4,989 of 7,725
Yeah, that staying up til 5am listening to just one more song, reminds me of staying for just one more beer. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me. I am really impressed with how much the sound has changed in the compass, with the sun/neutral in the last few weeks. I guess the term "opens up" fits. I have been listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue cd and i really like the strings and drums, I find that acoustical and synthesizer based music paired with the compass/d5000s appeals to me. The clarity of sound just amazes me and to think that it can get better really worries me, or like gilency said, hurts the wallet.

I have a question about the compass and using the optical input. Whenever I watch dvd on my laptop, or use the optical out of my hdcable box to the compass I get that sound that I'm sure someone knows that I'm talking about, a distorted signal. I stayed up til 5am one too many mornings in a row and can't see what might be right in front of me.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4,990 of 7,725
Boomersooner sounds like dolby digital or DTS being sent as bitstream. You'd need it decoded by the sound card first and then sent as pcm stereo.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4,991 of 7,725
The limited weekend hours, nice weather, and my taxes have limited my play time, but I have managed to complete my first evaluation; AD797BRZ vs. Earth, both with Compass in neutral, using HD650. My Earth and Compass have roughly 600 hours of burn-in. I'm still learning to describe sound, so I hope you'll bear with me. It should go without saying that what follows is entirely my novice opinion and should, at best, be taken with a grain of salt. imho, ymmv, etc...

AD797BRZ w/HD650: Sound is fluid, and quite aggressive. Decent level of overall detail, though the sound is not excessively bright. Bass is somewhat overpowering, approaching boomy, and perhaps a bit smeared. Soundstage is reasonable but unremarkable.

Earth w/HD650: Musical is the best word to describe the sound. Overall detail is reasonable, perhaps somewhat less than the 797. Decidedly warmer, and more laid back than the 797. Bass is tight, detailed, and well controlled, but not lacking for power; in fact this setup may still be a bit bass heavy. Soundstage, while not extraordinary, is both more spacious and involving than with the 797.

I decided to give the 797 a (brief) try with my AD900, since I feel that the AD900 are generally somewhat light in the bass department, and perhaps endowed with too deep a soundstage. The theory is that the deficiencies and strengths of the two might combine well.

AD797BRZ w/AD900: Bass is largely tamed, but still powerful; bass detail and control are decidedly improved. Soundstage is wider, more spacious, though beginning to exhibit the excessive airiness which tends to keep my AD900 on the shelf. This combination proves somewhat bright, yielding limited sibilance on susceptible tracks.

Earth w/AD900: The same improvements as before hold true; this combination is still more musical, with more detailed bass and a wider, livelier soundstage than with the 797 (but somehow I'm less bothered by the airiness). Sibilance was not noted, even with tracks which were problematic with the 797.

Conclusion: It should be noted that while I have made some sweeping statements regarding the Earth and 797, the two are really quite close in sound signature. Someone not aspiring to audiophilia would likely not hear the differences; but that's what we're here for, right? The 797 is quite enjoyable, but it seems to push the extremes too much, such that it is either too bass heavy, or too bright. I find the Earth more balanced, and more to my liking.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4,992 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomersooner sounds like dolby digital or DTS being sent as bitstream. You'd need it decoded by the sound card first and then sent as pcm stereo.

Thanks Scottie, thats what it is - I forgot that I didn't have either being decoded - see that one more song catches up to you.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4,993 of 7,725
idunno, big fan of how you choose to list your location. Don't forget though, Red Sox Nation transcends political or geographical borders to eventually cover every corner of the planet!

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #4,994 of 7,725
As far as the Compass goes, I'm starting to get a bit worried that mine will arrive here at school after I've already gone home at the end of the month! Eek! It sounds like the perfect set-up for my tragic downfall in the second act.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #4,995 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
idunno, big fan of how you choose to list your location. Don't forget though, Red Sox Nation transcends political or geographical borders to eventually cover every corner of the planet!

Except the Bronx
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back