The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #4,471 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V-DAC is portable in that you can say, going on a trip, just throw in in my bag. Can't go, let me just pack up Compass/DACMagic or other full sized desktop DAC with my headphones. They are not portable, meant to stay on the desk.

But again, like every other requests for comparisons, there aren't many out there and fewer who have writeen reviews of the Compass. If you want to make a decision to buy the Compass, there are plenty of impressions to help. If the V-DAC is fine, then don't bother upgrading. Seems to me if you were interested in upgrading, well, you don't need a V-DAC comparison to make that decision, that's why I thought, and still do, you are looking for confirmation you made a good decision in buying the V-DAC, and if you enjoy it, then yes you made a good decision.

Interesting tid bit, it's been found people read more reviews after they have made a purchase. Just looking for reassurance, I made good purchase, and that's what I see going on with newly registered people who also recently purchased an Amp or DAC looking for comparisons to the Compass.

Lots of assumptions going on by you about me- you like figuring people out don't you?
I am just looking for info for crying out loud. I need a head amp and the price of this along with the positive feedback has me curious as to how it compares to the sound of the V-DAC since it might be replacing it as my DAC.
So.....again, any information?

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4,472 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of assumptions going on by you about me- you like figuring people out don't you?
I am just looking for info for crying out loud. I need a head amp and the price of this along with the positive feedback has me curious as to how it compares to the sound of the V-DAC since it might be replacing it as my DAC.
So.....again, any information?

He pretty much thinks he has the right to determine whether your question is valid or not. Then he determines how belittling and condescending his response will be.

Then he goes back to his Hot Pot!

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #4,473 of 7,725
Well, there aren't many impressions so I don't know how it would compare to your V-DAC. If you only need an amp though, you might spend the extra money and get the Audio-gd C-2C instead since Curra has said the C-2C is a step above the Compass amp.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #4,474 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there aren't many impressions so I don't know how it would compare to your V-DAC. If you only need an amp though, you might spend the extra money and get the Audio-gd C-2C instead since Curra has said the C-2C is a step above the Compass amp.

I was going to do that then started wondering if the DAC in the Compass could be better than the V-DAC and I would have both a good amp and a DAC for the same cost (about) as the V-DAC, whereas the C-2C alone is $400.
This damn bug..............

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #4,475 of 7,725
mbd has a valid point though, we haven't compared the Compass and the V-dac so our guess is just a guess. If we infer from the information from comparisons to date then it'd quite rational when mbd says the dac section of the compass is probably an upgrade over the V-dac. But since the people with compasses haven't compared it to a V-dac and we all have different levels of understanding of how V-dac stacks up to other dacs, perhaps the most qualified person to answer tim3320070's question is himself, or at least it is his responsibility to research how the V-dac stacks up and utilizing the data we have on how the compass stacks up to some dacs to draw his own conclusion.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #4,476 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mbd has a valid point though, we haven't compared the Compass and the V-dac so our guess is just a guess. If we infer from the information from comparisons to date then it'd quite rational when mbd says the dac section of the compass is probably an upgrade over the V-dac. But since the people with compasses haven't compared it to a V-dac and we all have different levels of understanding of how V-dac stacks up to other dacs, perhaps the most qualified person to answer tim3320070's question is himself, or at least it is his responsibility to research how the V-dac stacks up and utilizing the data we have on how the compass stacks up to some dacs to draw his own conclusion.

You're right. I was hoping one of the few Compass owners had a V-DAC or had a friend with one to compare. But, I went ahead and bought one just now (along with an S1 integrated) so I'll do it myself! It's only money, right?
I'll post my impressions after arrival and some burn-in applied- it's looking like early April at best before receipt.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4,477 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right. I was hoping one of the few Compass owners had a V-DAC or had a friend with one to compare. But, I went ahead and bought one just now (along with an S1 integrated) so I'll do it myself! It's only money, right?
I'll post my impressions after arrival and some burn-in applied- it's looking like early April at best before receipt.

Hey,
Can't go wrong at that price! Let us know how you rank them.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #4,478 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any impression of ad797brz on compass compared to other hdams?

I'll do a comparison once my Compass and Earth reach the magic 400. Currently at 144+/- plus the 100 they shipped with. My 797's have 1000's on them. I haven't burned my Moon or Sun at all yet, so they won't be valid for comparisons any time soon.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #4,479 of 7,725
Got almost 100hrs on the sun in neutral mode and it seems the treble has backed off a bit and that everything isn't quite as forward as it was, seems to be more balanced. Still dynamic and I cranked the gain down and at the moment I prefer the gain on high. Listening to Patricia Barber and the strings of the bass have that full thwump. The guitar and the piano don't seem as bright as they were. Her voice has that full, smokey, smooth quality, I prefer it over where the earth is at this point. The finger snaps have a sharp crack, and really nice how you can hear the distinct echo in the background. I don't know if my vocabulary helps anyone with impression or not. Especially taking in consideration changes coming with more burn-in.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #4,480 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got almost 100hrs on the sun in neutral mode and it seems the treble has backed off a bit and that everything isn't quite as forward as it was, seems to be more balanced. Still dynamic and I cranked the gain down and at the moment I prefer the gain on high. Listening to Patricia Barber and the strings of the bass have that full thwump. The guitar and the piano don't seem as bright as they were. Her voice has that full, smokey, smooth quality, I prefer it over where the earth is at this point. The finger snaps have a sharp crack, and really nice how you can hear the distinct echo in the background. I don't know if my vocabulary helps anyone with impression or not. Especially taking in consideration changes coming with more burn-in.

Nice little write up 100 hours impression, Boomer !

your vocab is fantastic, in fact I'll pick up a few words from it if you dont mind..
smily_headphones1.gif
Since I missed out on the entire phenomenon of burning, I clearly notice that I can follow the bass lines far more easily that I could in the first 100 hours, now its already been past 400 hours on my Earth and Neutral mode..

Quote:

Well that pretty much sums up the intentions of your questions.. glad you went ahead and like Les says, you cant go with wrong at the price.. hope to hear your impressions soon..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #4,482 of 7,725
Wow I just checked the track no Cherry gave me today and the RE1 and C-2C are already into and out of customs on the way to the local hub for delivery tomorrow (I think). If that is so ...this will be a record for fast delivery. Picked up on the 21st (Hong Kong) and at my door on the 23rd.......incredible.

Peete.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #4,483 of 7,725
Just ordered, but I noticed that I can't hook my "cheap" cd player with it because mine doesn't have a digital out... If I use RCA, then I can't switch source...

Anyway, that's minor issue. Looking forward to receive it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #4,484 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I just checked the track no Cherry gave me today and the RE1 and C-2C are already into and out of customs on the way to the local hub for delivery tomorrow (I think). If that is so ...this will be a record for fast delivery. Picked up on the 21st (Hong Kong) and at my door on the 23rd.......incredible.

Wow, your name isn't even on the Audio-gd 'shipment list' yet! Congrats!

So, will you be starting the Reference One-thread now?
normal_smile .gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #4,485 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundernuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, i've got my reddies and am about to order.

Are there any upgrades that are recommended?

Well, you could check out on the other OPAs if you want to play around and see what suits you most, Moon and Sun since Earth comes as a default..

Coax cable, I found it handy and I think its not included as one of the stock cables - think optical, usb and power cable is included..

Custom power cable.. hmm, well it depends, some find it makes some difference, some dont.. It did to me..

One more thing if I recollect well, Kingwa said if you like to have the preamp or gain switch on the front, its possible, just that it would take another week to process the order, but then I think the Super sign will remain on the face plate..

Nothing else comes to my mind now.. Oh yes, dont forget to mention the voltage and your telephone number.. and Also, Choose the power cord applicable for your area..

Enjoy !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back