The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 20, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #4,336 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get the USB to SPDIF converter? I have problems with USB and static with my laptop and that sounds like it would be a solution.

There are a few out there. I'm using this:
Buy Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB-Audio Interface | Audio Interfaces & Convertors | Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

There is also the Cryoparts Pop Pulse Link II, the Trends UD10, the HagUSB, and then some really pricey ones from Empirical Audio. I considered getting the HagUSB to replace the Behringer unit, but by the time I buy it, a good audio grade USB cable and a nice Silver Digital Coax cable, I'm up to around $300.

I may just take the plunge on the Compass and then compare it to my current setup and sell whichever I like the least.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #4,338 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa is working on a decent quality USB to SPDIF converter so hang tight for now.

ooh. I'd be interested in this, just on principle.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #4,339 of 7,725
I'm not actually using the pre-amp for anything. All I have is usb going in and headphones going out. I was just fiddling with the switches and turning the pre-amp on definitely changes the sound.
Quote:

Depends on what your running the preamp into .....when using preamp mode you must make sure the gain jumpers are set at low (13db for the test unit and 9 db for the final version). That is critical so you don't overload the amp inputs (of the system your running the preamp signal to).

Are you sure you are using the Compass correctly ? There should be no change in SQ although a poor amp and speakers will degrade the signal from the Compass. When in preamp mode the headphone jack is disconnected ...it might help me to know what system you are using and how it is arranged (hook up, brand of amp, cabling etc).

Peete.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #4,340 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade732 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not actually using the pre-amp for anything. All I have is usb going in and headphones going out. I was just fiddling with the switches and turning the pre-amp on definitely changes the sound.

sounds like something is wrong... turning on the preamp should kill the headphone out

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4,341 of 7,725
Wow... I just noticed that it has been one month since I posted my design for the inner lid... and now it is an actual product! During those posts people were very inpatient with the design process and just wanted us to stop designing so that the Compass could be built.
Now.. just one month later, the product is finished and ready for production.... and the design is great looking!! Patience certainly paid off.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #4,342 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade732 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's because the preamp toggle reroutes the amplified signal to the back panel preamp outputs to send that signal to an amplifiers L/R inputs. Your not supposed to listen via the headphone jack when the preamp function is engaged. No wonder it sounds different.

Peete.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #4,343 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like something is wrong... turning on the preamp should kill the headphone out

I'm not entirely sure it kills 100% of the headphone output to the jack but I will now check that....On mine the output is 100% quiet with no signal making it to the 650's while the preamp mode is engaged. Those of you with latest versions should try this experiment as I have the test unit without the relay.

Peete.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #4,344 of 7,725
Quote:

I'm not entirely sure it kills 100% of the headphone output to the jack but I will now check that....On mine the output is 100% quiet with no signal making it to the 650's while the preamp mode is engaged. Those of you with latest versions should try this experiment as I have the test unit without the relay.

Peete.

Was one of the first things I did
wink.gif
Same here on new one, no sound at all in preamp mode.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4,345 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Compass already had USB input...

It does but Boomer is having issues with USB from his laptop...not sure how the converter will cure that either now that I think about it some more...

Peete.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #4,346 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW Kingwa has arranged to have Skylab review the Compass for those interested. Skylab is looking forward to hearing the Compass.

I thought he was getting the C2-C? Or is he getting both?

Anyways, since we have so many impressions of the Compass already and Skylab will do the comparison mainly with equipment he doesn't own anymore and hasn't heard in a long time, I can't do much else but shrug.

Just my view though, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would value Skylab's authorative opinion quite highly.

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #4,347 of 7,725
skylab still has a lot of equipment in his possession. he also has heard a ton of stuff. his reviews has pretty much been spot on with the stuff i have heard. so his review of the compass(if there is a review) would be very valuable to me.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #4,348 of 7,725
Quote:

It does but Boomer is having issues with USB from his laptop...not sure how the converter will cure that either now that I think about it some more...

Peete.

What I had in mind was using the spdif output of the onboard sound and use the converter to usb rather than usb to spdif. After looking at it though I could either find a 1/8" headphone to rca would work also, and probably be cheaper. Concerned about SQ going that route.

As for the advice you gave me Peete about the drivers and everything I am in the process of double checking that I have updated everything and experimenting with turning off what I don't need. I have had this problem ever since I first tried to use USB output for audio, Razer Barracudas, Turtle Beach DAC, and external creative x-fi. I have updated all the drivers, ie video, chipset, flashed the bios. I have used several audio programs and currently using mediamonkey. My laptop is a HP DV9702us, the motherboard is Quanta 30BD 66.42. Ive got 4gb ram. I have tried setting whatever audio program I am using to the highest priority and no dice.

I will post in the computer audio forum so as not to get this too far off topic of the Compass, I know that its my laptop, I want to blame Vista but I've read that others have had the problem with XP also. Oh well, like I needed an excuse to build that desktop I've been putting off.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #4,349 of 7,725
Quote:

Peete.

yeah, my headphone out is dead silent with the preamp mode engaged

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4,350 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, my headphone out is dead silent with the preamp mode engaged

Maybe his buttons are rewired and it's the Gain switch instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back