The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4,307 of 7,725
Well I have never owned, used, or heard an amp or dac before, even though I have owned many highend headphones, I went ahead and bought the Compass. Been meaning to get an get amp for my AKG 701's for years, figured I might as well start with a semi-end device to make up for lost time, instead starting with $100 devices. Hopefully I will actually hear a difference over my soundcard...

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #4,308 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone else have a hard time removing the foam that protects the HDAM during shipping? It left a nasty layer of foam/glue/sticky stuff. Not a huge deal and I suppose some elbow grease and rubbing alcohol will get it off, but I was kind of ASSuming it would come right off...

Everytime I open the top case to change HDAM I try to clean a little more the foam mess that is there. Tried many things with no results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have never owned, used, or heard an amp or dac before, even though I have owned many highend headphones, I went ahead and bought the Compass. Been meaning to get an get amp for my AKG 701's for years, figured I might as well start with a semi-end device to make up for lost time, instead starting with $100 devices. Hopefully I will actually hear a difference over my soundcard...

You'll be happy, I'm sure! Don't forget to buy Moon HDAM, it may be a better match then Earth (depending on your ears).

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4,309 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be happy, I'm sure! Don't forget to buy Moon HDAM, it may be a better match then Earth (depending on your ears).

I didn't buy any extra parts because the unit itself was still a little over my budget. I can buy the Moon separately later and install it myself right?

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #4,310 of 7,725
Yes, but I don't know if the price will be the same, and have no idea of shipping costs too.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #4,311 of 7,725
Good places to measure temperature is anywhere there are bolts connected to electronics. That means that some kind of heatsink is attached to a hot circuit element. Looking at my internal amp shot I would suggest
CompassAmp.jpg picture by tahoe_sushi - Photobucket
The two transistors on the right attached to the bottom and with the white compound.
The four transistors on the top of the picture that have the aluminum heatsinks attached.
The HDAM.
If you can, the toroid would be another good spot to check.

Im sure you thought about some of this but Ill mention anyway. Measure the temperature outside the case first before you measure inside. Measuring outside the case I would get the top (above the toroid would be a hot spot but the front of the Compass is probably the hottest in general due to amps and toroid), and the bolts on the bottom where those two transistors attach to the bottom of the case.

Have the Compass continue to play (if you can and feel confident enough doing that), when you make the measurements. Transistors actually cool off pretty quickly when they arent in use. The temperature of a CPU drops like a rock when turned off or not at 100% load. Honestly, I would think that just measuring the outside of the case would be enough. If its hot, its hot, if its not its not, and the only way itll be hot is if whats inside the case is hot. Theres no fans so the hot air wont be going anywhere. Also safer measuring that way, I wouldnt want anyone breaking their Compass for my goofball theory XD Of course be sure the ambient temperature of the room is the same or at least very close.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #4,312 of 7,725
All Right! Now we're cooking with gas! This thing is HUGE!
The aftermarket cable is a monster itself. Everything came as I expected so now to put the jumpers in and start some burn in.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #4,313 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha that would be odd.

Well I suppose a thank you is in order to whoever came up with the top cover instructions!

I think that would be me as I recommended it in my orifginal review. Of course csroc has to be thanked for all the design work and making my idea a reality. I am also wondering if the "Padding" square is even close! I hope so... since the rest is so well done!

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #4,314 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone else have a hard time removing the foam that protects the HDAM during shipping? It left a nasty layer of foam/glue/sticky stuff. Not a huge deal and I suppose some elbow grease and rubbing alcohol will get it off, but I was kind of ASSuming it would come right off...

Stain remover ( basically dry cleaneing fluid) will remove it. Also, 3M sells adhesive remover which works well. It is used to remove trim mounting tape from automobiles.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4,315 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd be amazed if you didn't "sense" the Noise Floor as being diminished and get a sense of increased 3-D effects over your SC, just to name a few easily discerned factors. I just sold most of my amps and DACs and had to resort back to my SC and it's pretty irritating to listen to.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #4,316 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but I don't know if the price will be the same, and have no idea of shipping costs too.

$20 now or somehing like $47 later.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #4,317 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good places to measure temperature is anywhere there are bolts connected to electronics. That means that some kind of heatsink is attached to a hot circuit element. Looking at my internal amp shot I would suggest
CompassAmp.jpg picture by tahoe_sushi - Photobucket
The two transistors on the right attached to the bottom and with the white compound.
The four transistors on the top of the picture that have the aluminum heatsinks attached.
The HDAM.
If you can, the toroid would be another good spot to check.

Im sure you thought about some of this but Ill mention anyway. Measure the temperature outside the case first before you measure inside. Measuring outside the case I would get the top (above the toroid would be a hot spot but the front of the Compass is probably the hottest in general due to amps and toroid), and the bolts on the bottom where those two transistors attach to the bottom of the case.

Have the Compass continue to play (if you can and feel confident enough doing that), when you make the measurements. Transistors actually cool off pretty quickly when they arent in use. The temperature of a CPU drops like a rock when turned off or not at 100% load. Honestly, I would think that just measuring the outside of the case would be enough. If its hot, its hot, if its not its not, and the only way itll be hot is if whats inside the case is hot. Theres no fans so the hot air wont be going anywhere. Also safer measuring that way, I wouldnt want anyone breaking their Compass for my goofball theory XD Of course be sure the ambient temperature of the room is the same or at least very close.

All of those points and considerations are on my list. I'll put some tape markers on the external case so that I get the same spot each time. I'll also draw up some targets on the boards with Photoshop. I really won't know all the spots till I fire it up the first time and probe with the thermometer.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #4,318 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete, dude you are too awesome bro. You know Dream Theater is working on their 10th studio album and should be released this summer I think. I'm stoked to hear their new material.

Your "tape out" explanation made perfect sense, and yes is does have the tape function you speak of (I think). I've never used the tape out, but I'm sure that will work. Your also correct about my receiver having an integrated phono stage. Do you have a crystal ball or something to assume all this or what?
wink.gif

As far as the receiver I own, its called the "Ultimate Receiver" by Sunfire and was designed by Bob Carver. My turntable is an older style VPI. I think it's one of the HW-19 series. I know I said "Aries Scout" earlier, but I was wrong. My main concern now is after doing some research on my cartridge (Grado Statement Master Wood Body Phono Cartridge) is that it's one of the low output ones at 0.5mV. It seems as though I might benefit from having a separate phono stage for hook up with the Compass. Not sure really, as I mentioned earlier this was sort of an "Impulse" purchase without much research done, the turntable, arm and cartridge that is.

As far as being part of the generation of not owning LP's, well that wouldn't be me at all. I'm almost 41 and have a decent album collection of about 3000+ LP's. However, the proper equipment is something I lack knowledge in. At least when it comes to "Hifi" stuff. I've learned a lot over the last few days of research in this category. However the last thing I want to do is derail this thread with "Phono" knowledge, but if you could squeak in a recommendation I would appreciate it. But if it risks upsetting folks or getting too far off track, then don't trip. Now you know why I once mentioned that I would love to have you as a neighbor.
icon10.gif
If you need more info, let me know Peete. Thanks again for all your help buddy!
smile.gif

I want to apologize to everyone again for all the posts in a row. Like I said, my darn multi post function isn't working.
frown.gif
Thanks for everyone's understanding.

Do me a favor please could you have a look at the faceplate and give me the exact model number of the Sunfire and secondly (if possible) take a pic of the back panel and the front panel and send them to me via email (PM me for my email address) and I'll be able to give you exact instructions on how best to use the gear you have at hand.

That TT and cartridge are way better than most peoples setups (on average) so phono amp would need to match the quality of that system. I'd stick with the built in phono amp of the Carver for now but look at phono stages from AcousticSound.com, for instance this unit is outstanding for the price AcousTech - PH-1 Phono Stage Premium Version - Phono Pre Amp

Anyway I'm definitely looking forward to DT's new work and hope they get back to their roots some more compared to their last release (which I like a lot but it isn't their best by any means).

I wouldn't mind having you as neighbor at all...would be cool .....besides I could store some of my surplus gear at your place
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4,319 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite the pricey cartridge.

Anyway, are you talking about connecting your turntable directly to the Compass? If so the results will be less than desirable, you want to have the RIAA equalization to restore correct tonal balance among other things. A phono preamp is a must then in my opinion.

Since you sound like you're connecting through your receiver you'll want to make sure the phono input on your receiver (if it has one) actually employs RIAA equalization. Although Peete is willing to bet that it does I would not be surprised at all if it doesn't as many receivers do not carry that any more but I didn't catch what receiver you have so I couldn't say. If your receiver does have one it may have an in-built phono preamp which is just fine. If not (or if you want to upgrade phono preamps) there are plenty of options. If it doesn't have one then in my opinion you need one.

I do something similar to what you two talked about using the tape monitor connection. My NAD integrated doesn't have spare preamp outputs but I can and do use the tape monitor output to listen to my CD player or record player on my Starving Student headphone amp. My connection is similar to what you'd need if you don't have a phono preamp in your receiver. My turntable is connected to my phono preamp which is in turn connected to the input on my amplifier.

It would have to csroc (don't know why I thought it was dro
smily_headphones1.gif
) if it works and gets a decent volume level from that unit...it's impossible to amp a 0.5mV signal with a regular aux input, it simply won't have 68db of gain (or more) plus the fact that it will need a MC/MM switch to adjust impedance loading and gain structure, not to mention applying the correct RIAA equalization curve. I'm nearly 100% sure that the Sunfire has a fully adjustable Phono stage built into it I just need the pics to verify it.

Anyway sorry for OT stuff.

The blue Lock Tite compound is what I use for semi permanent glue jobs. It should work very well with the Compass knobs as would a low strength glue from a glue gun do an equally fine job. Just remember folks you don't need a lot to do the job...just 1 or 2 drops will do and don't use the knob until it's completely set. If it comes loose down the road then simply reapply some more when needed. It should hold for years though.

Peete.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #4,320 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would have to Dro if it works and gets a decent volume level from that unit...it's impossible to amp a 0.5mV signal with a regular aux input, it simply won't have 68db of gain (or more) plus the fact that it will need a MC/MM switch to adjust impedance loading and gain structure, not to mention applying the correct RIAA equalization curve. I'm nearly 100% sure that the Sunfire has a fully adjustable Phono stage built into it I just need the pics to verify it.

You're correct, with that little signal it would have to be doing something. I wasn't really thinking about or aware of the low signal output when I started responding in that post so I never went back and clarified.

I don't know what receiver he has anyway so I couldn't look up specs to help. And I'm a little rusty on a lot of my turntable related specifics at the moment. I put the setup I wanted together a few years ago and haven't thought much of it since
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back