The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #3,931 of 7,725
Wow the compass already looks good on those pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #3,932 of 7,725
Wow, I sure hope this has some instructions with it for basic hook up and functions. I'm brand new to this stuff with the Compass being my first ever piece of headphone equipment. I'm getting one of the 30, so not exactly sure when you would want to use some of those RCA connectors. Not to mention the two that aren't even labeled.

I know you great forum members will be able to help me out once I get the thing. I'm way stoked for sure about getting into this hobby for sure. It's a pleasure to read everyone's posts about this type of equipment even if 75% of it is over my head and I need to Wiki everything.
confused.gif
smile.gif

I just sit back and read to try and absorb what most of you are talking about with out asking questions prematurely. There's a LOT of stuff to learn for sure. I wish I had more knowledge to actually participate, but unfortunately I'm just a total newbie to this stuff.

Anyway, the Compass looks killer and am way stoked to finally know it's on it's way soon. Hope I get it by next week. I would love to share my impressions, but not sure what I would compare it to.

By no means am I new to music or home audio, plus I've been a drummer for over 25 years and music has been my life since I was a 10 year old kid. I'm just new to the whole "mid-fi" headphone scene. Actually just the whole headphone thing in general.

I can't believe I never discovered this earlier in life. Oh well, better late then never. Thanks for everyone's understanding on where I'm at here. Everyone's knowledge has been invaluable to me to say the least. And it feels like I am getting a great start with going with the Compass do to everyone's input here. So thank you all very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #3,933 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I sure hope this has some instructions with it for basic hook up and functions. I'm brand new to this stuff with the Compass being my first ever piece of headphone equipment. I'm getting one of the 30, so not exactly sure when you would want to use some of those RCA connectors. Not to mention the two that aren't even labeled.

Although I don't think it will come with an instruction manual, Currawong is working on an elaborate Compass FAQ/Primer that will answer most of the basic connection and operation questions.

Those unmarked RCA connectors are the pre-amp outputs that you would use to connect it to a power amplifier. (Basically the type of amplifier that drives speakers, but that doesn't have volume or output controls on it.)

Don't worry about your lack of experience, most of us don't have a whole lot of experience in audio, we just talk like we do.
biggrin.gif
And I'm certain that with your experience in music you will be able to give some great impressions on how the Compass sounds, allowing us to share in your enjoyment.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #3,934 of 7,725
Hi Serepentd,

Nice to see you back and good to know you finally decided to go for Compass, well I think many can assure you that its the right step if you entering into head-fi, just like me and many others.

No, there is no instruction manual that comes with it, but Curra has a nice little write up on Compass :

Introduction to the Compass DAC and Headphone amplifier - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

If you go through that, you will at least know much about Compass and its basic functions, the upgraded model which you should get by late next week as the 120V compasses are being shipped tomorrow, this version has some changes to it from the first version, basically making it more convenient for the user to change gains and preamp on off switch at the back of the Compass.

Well, the rest when you get your Compass, there are plenty of helping hands around this place..
normal_smile .gif

I hope you get your Compass soon and enjoy it as much as I have or all the Compass users out here..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know you great forum members will be able to help me out once I get the thing. I'm way stoked for sure about getting into this hobby for sure. It's a pleasure to read everyone's posts about this type of equipment even if 75% of it is over my head and I need to Wiki everything.
confused.gif
smile.gif

I just sit back and read to try and absorb what most of you are talking about with out asking questions prematurely. There's a LOT of stuff to learn for sure. I wish I had more knowledge to actually participate, but unfortunately I'm just a total newbie to this stuff.

Anyway, the Compass looks killer and am way stoked to finally know it's on it's way soon. Hope I get it by next week. I would love to share my impressions, but not sure what I would compare it to.

By no means am I new to music or home audio, plus I've been a drummer for over 25 years and music has been my life since I was a 10 year old kid. I'm just new to the whole "mid-fi" headphone scene. Actually just the whole headphone thing in general.

I can't believe I never discovered this earlier in life. Oh well, better late then never. Thanks for everyone's understanding on where I'm at here. Everyone's knowledge has been invaluable to me to say the least. And it feels like I am getting a great start with going with the Compass do to everyone's input here. So thank you all very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT - As usual, Drosera beat me again !!..
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #3,935 of 7,725
Cool man. Thank you both (Drosera and sandchak) very much for you input and pointing me in the right direction already. I'll be sure to read the info you pointed out. After all I'll want to get this puppy up and running within the first 5 minutes of it getting here, I just need to decide what to hook it up to. I better tell my wife now that when this package arrives that I won't be available for about 24 hours for anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say, out of all the forums I've participated in, some/most of you guys/gals are the coolest and most helpful I've come across. Very polite and friendly, that's rare it seems these days, especially when it comes to forums or just the internet in general. I'll use sandchak as an example. I truly couldn't believe that you even remembered me. I've only posted here a few times. That alone is just cool as hell. Thanks for that sandchak, truly.
smile.gif

Also, thank you Drosera for explaining the Preamp out function. I realize it's simple, but until you explained it I never quite understood what type of equipment you would use it for. I have a feeling I'll be buying separates soon. But I need to buy my next e-drums first and that's going to run about $6K. So one thing at a time unfortunately.

Anyway, it's great to feel so welcomed in a community like this when your new and a rookie both. Thank you very much. Sorry if I come across as "mushy" sounding, I'm just a grateful type of person is all.

Well, I better start planning on what type of music I want to pull out and have ready for my big delivery. That's going to be a chore in itself. The Compass seems to have so many options I'm not sure where I'll begin, I'm just a bit excited is all. Thanks again for the great info guys, I'll be sure to keep reading every post here on a daily basis.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #3,936 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who are interested to see how the upgraded (30) looks like:

Hope it can bee seen now as I have also put it as attachments..

Thanks for posting the pics, sandchak. You've just made the waiting even more agonizing!
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those RCA connectors look really sweet! I'm now starting to wish I had those on my test-version as well.

(In case some people are wondering, this is not yet the "final version" of the Compass. The new back and front plates are still being manufactured.)

Sweet as candy! Can't wait to sink my teeth into them.
atsmile.gif

Any of the Compass-18 picking up an Upgrade Version (V2a) or Final Version (V2b)? I wonder what the upgraded 24K connectors' impact on SQ.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #3,937 of 7,725
Thanks SeprentD for your kind words.

Techfreakazoid, I feel it will be worth the wait.. I know quite a few of the 18 that will go for the V2b version (as you say), If I go into the impacts of 24K gold plated connectors on SQ, I will be entering into a very debatable discussion - all I will say gold plated connectors will provide you with better contacts and its anti corrosive - difference on SQ is very debatable, so I will stay out of it..

Its going to be great when the next batch of Compass owners start posting their impressions.. methinks..
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #3,938 of 7,725
Quote:

If I go into the impacts of 24K gold plated connectors on SQ, I will be entering into a very debatable discussion - all I will say gold plated connectors will provide you with better contacts and its anti corrosive - difference on SQ is very debatable, so I will stay out of it..

Wasn't the main point about those connectors that they're pure OFC underneath the 24K gold? I remember reading that somewhere, many pages back. Certainly, the connectors on the test-version are already gold-plated too.

But you're right, best to stay out of the SQ comparisons. I think the main thing about those new connectors is that you can be sure that they can't possibly be a weak link in the SQ chain.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #3,939 of 7,725
The Compass kit is selling for $105 which seems like a pretty good deal:
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
The RCA jacks and Neutrik connectors are also for sale there along with the 50 watt transformer and power supply board.
It seems like you could choose a nice DAC board ( or perhaps make it with 2 or 3 switchable boards) and you would have a customized Compass...

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #3,940 of 7,725
Quote:

But you're right, best to stay out of the SQ comparisons. I think the main thing about those new connectors is that you can be sure that they can't possibly be a weak link in the SQ chain.

I agree with you, what you say is the best way to look at it.. although silver plated is considered the best for its conductivity but gold plated makes it less prone to oxidization and 24K is more purer than 22K or 18K.. again IMHO.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3,941 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like mbd2884 is evading his ban. I've reported him to the mods. Please pay no attention to him.

Good grief what did I miss!?

Quote:

Those RCA connectors look really sweet! I'm now starting to wish I had those on my test-version as well.

(In case some people are wondering, this is not yet the "final version" of the Compass. The new back and front plates are still being manufactured.)

Those are indeed some handsome RCA jacks. Never thought I'd say that!

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #3,942 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are indeed some handsome RCA jacks. Never thought I'd say that!

Imagine those handsome Jacks on the new designed rear plates.. I am already looking for the box in which my Compass came..

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #3,943 of 7,725
Quote:

Imagine those handsome Jacks on the new designed rear plates.. I am already looking for the box in which my Compass came..

Mine is over in the corner of my room, waiting
biggrin.gif

I'm bitin' my fingernails waiting to see that the new panels came out 100%! I wonder when Kingwa will get them in, I haven't spoken with him since his last email to me a week or so ago (whenever someone here brought up front panel design topics again).

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #3,944 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good grief what did I miss!?

Apparently Currawong thinks cynan=mbd2884. (At least, that's how I understood it.) I'm not too sure about that myself, but I'll let the mods figure this one out.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #3,945 of 7,725
delete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back