The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3,466 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha and then my emails all started being from "Cherry" - if Kingwa is Qinghua (westernized spelling??) then what is "Cherry" for real???

Cherry should be Kingwa's new customer service
biggrin.gif
I think around 1 month ago he's start recruiting new technicians and one female customer service which assign to deal with emails
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #3,467 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed Drosera, the earlier the better. I'd like to learn some additional languages but the time and effort to do so is hard to come by for many people. Immersion seems to be a pretty effective method for some folks though. Just go and stick yourself in a foreign land with a foreign tongue and you better hope you pick it up quick!

Definitely, your memory faculties will start going downhill from about the time your fifteen. Thank goodness I have a good memory anyways, but it was quite hard to pick up a completely new language like I did a few years ago. And I'm not really that old yet.

The rule is basically: if you can't lean by rote then you have to learn by immersion. But immersion is always better.

Well, just apply for a job as English teacher in China. You can be at work there tomorrow if you like.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #3,468 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he has good ideas too, but Kingwa has to draw the line somewhere and make the things. I think he's done that.

I mocked them up with some fresh pictures of my Compass and the original vector design files so it's a little tidier.

Looks great here Csorc, sorry but I like this more than Peep's design and I mean no offense to Peepee, I mean I have own my personal taste and it will differ from others, to me this design looks simple and not overbearing, it looks more like what Compass was meant to be..

Yes, I guess Csroc is right, in terms of Kingwa having to draw a line somewhere, the design has already reached the Chassis manufacturer and he says he is ordering 300 pcs this time, and that he also needs to standardize the Compass design as he cant afford to keep changing the design every 100 Compass..
I think he also feels the amount of LEDS in the new design will require more soldering - more time in labor- which may delay the entire process.. Plus my guess is maybe all this will add to the circuitry which might effect the SQ (??)- I don't know this is purely my personal guess..

Hope this helps as its from the man himself ...

Quote:

My name QingHua, it is a Chinese name, but officially, we must use Chinese characters "庆华", QingHua is not the official name in China, it is only used for overseas purpose.
"Kingwa" is pronounced close to my Cantonese name.
Cantonese pronunciation is very different from Chinese .

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3,469 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks great here Csorc, sorry but I like this more than Peep's design and I mean no offense to Peepee, I mean I have own my personal taste and it will differ from others, to me this design looks simple and not overbearing, it looks more like what Compass was meant to be..

Yes, I guess Csroc is right, in terms of Kingwa having to draw a line somewhere, the design has already reached the Chassis manufacturer and he says he is ordering 300 pcs this time, and that he also needs to standardize the Compass design as he cant afford to keep changing the design every 100 Compass..

He didn't tell me numbers or anything but that was what I suggested in response to his email I got late last night (that there will always be more ideas but I think at this point being able to ship in a reasonable time is more important). He was basically asking if some of the changes someone else had emailed him about were a good idea.

Quote:

I think he also feels the amount of LEDS in the new design will require more soldering - more time in labor- which may delay the entire process.. Plus my guess is maybe all this will add to the circuitry which might effect the SQ (??)- I don't know this is purely my personal guess..

Possibly, it's certainly more work and more parts and materials which makes it more expensive to make. I also think that as someone pointed out dozens of pages ago, having the selector knob labels be at the top is the best layout for readability for the vast majority of situations.

Good point on the distinction between the different dialects and how they pronounce things. I think most of the Chinese I've known are Mandarin actually but I'm not sure. I certainly doubt I've had enough experience to know how to properly pronounce things in different dialects.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #3,471 of 7,725
Your design is nice, but it simply is not feasible at this late a time. Although I like the selector LED's, I think they are bells and whistles, which may go against the grain.

Cantonese has similar grammatical rules as Mandarin (common Chinese) but has totally different words so is not a dialect in the sense of an accent, but is its own language. As for learning languages, if you already know English what's the point? I'd only learn a language if I had to or if I thought it sounded nice. Me personally, I can't stand the most common Mandarin accent, I like the Mandarin accent Taiwanese people have (not to be confused with the language Taiwanese) which is more musical imo. Maybe that's why I hear there's so many popular Taiwanese popstars
tongue.gif
but I don't know, I only listen to 70's and 80's.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3,473 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cantonese has similar grammatical rules as Mandarin (common Chinese) but has totally different words so is not a dialect in the sense of an accent, but is its own language.

I'd actually like to point out that while written cantonese has the same grammar as mandarin. A mandarin speaking person would not be able to understand colloquial cantonese right of the bat if a cantonese person wrote or spoke colloqiual cantonese in mandarin (btw it wouldn't translate as nicely as you would think). The grammar in the grand scheme of things is similar in colloquial cantonese to mandarin, but there are differences that already make it distinct from mandarin.

But I would agree, cantonese (or hokkien/hakka/shanghainese etc.) are more like related languages when compared to (english) dialects/accents.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #3,475 of 7,725
peepee thanks for the work you have put in designing your version of the Compass but i think i am speaking for most of us here that enough is enough. I think the Compass that will come soon looks sexy no need for any changes. Please dont take it the wrong way.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #3,476 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright before I go off to work I'm going to have one last and most likely futile attempt to convince Kingwa to change the design... BRING ON THE FLAMES PEOPLE! ;p

compassupdatefront3.jpg

Enjoy!

Very cool design.

But as it is, the 30 available for international are sold out, Kingwa already preparing the next shipment and they won't go out til end of March.

In the end, the design of the faceplate has absolutely zero impact when you are using it. When I got the Compass running and writing this post, I am not looking at the Compass.

In fact there are only two times I look at it, to turn it on, then to turn it off, which even then, its barely a glance.

So while its great you spent all the time and well, I'm still perplexed why the faceplate design was such an issue. I barely ever look at the Compass. I know by feel and memory location where the volume, and headphone jack is.

I hope I don't offend anyone when I say, please don't try to convince Kingwa to change design, it really really doesn't matter or make any difference. Let Kingwa start making a profit and let people buy the product!

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3,477 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd actually like to point out that while written cantonese has the same grammar as mandarin. A mandarin speaking person would not be able to understand colloquial cantonese right of the bat if a cantonese person wrote or spoke colloqiual cantonese in mandarin (btw it wouldn't translate as nicely as you would think). The grammar in the grand scheme of things is similar in colloquial cantonese to mandarin, but there are differences that already make it distinct from mandarin.

But I would agree, cantonese (or hokkien/hakka/shanghainese etc.) are more like related languages when compared to (english) dialects/accents.

My g/f speaks mandarin and Cantonese fluently. Mandarin is her native language, but when I asked months ago how hard it was to learn Cantonese, she said very easy, since the grammar was the same. No problem at all for her, no formal classes needed, she said it's wrong to say it's a separate language. Calling it a dialect is correct.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3,480 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact there are only two times I look at it, to turn it on, then to turn it off, which even then, its barely a glance.

So while its great you spent all the time and well, I'm still perplexed why the faceplate design was such an issue. I barely ever look at the Compass. I know by feel and memory location where the volume, and headphone jack is.

I hope I don't offend anyone when I say, please don't try to convince Kingwa to change design, it really really doesn't matter or make any difference. Let Kingwa start making a profit and let people buy the product!

Yes, we've heard this from you many times before. But realize that that is your opinion, and unless someone else says otherwise you should assume that it is only you that feels that way about it. Maybe others care (I'm relatively indifferent but I don't mind a nicer looking design) and I think Kingwa certainly cared because a good exterior helps sell whatever is on the inside, and Kingwa wants to sell a lot of these internationally.

At this point I think we should all probably consider the matter of front and rear design closed, I'm sorry if any of you who are interested in that now may have missed out. Any changes now would likely cause delays whereas I deliberately made sure Kingwa could have whatever design we created before his originally planned meeting with the chassis manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back