The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #3,391 of 7,725
this thread is evolving from the compass thread to the "what is my audio-gd upgrade path after the compass?" thread, heh.

and mbd, i think you'd make a great henchman/bodyguard. "don't talk crap about xyz!" *dishes out pounding*
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #3,393 of 7,725
You need to stop mixing my words. I never said the compass did any upsampling to 16/24. I stated that it's an oversampling dac. There's a difference between. Upsampling and over sampling. I did see in one post I said made a mistake and said upsampling, if you check all the rest, I said oversampling. Do you homework. Over sampling does not taka a 16/44.1 signal and up samples it to 24/96. Nor did I say it did. I also didn't say anything about wanting a valab. I wasn't even the one who brought it up. All of my post has been toward how I can' wait to get a compass. So get your facts straight. Oh I know your can't help yourself. This has happened numerous times. You just love being wrong. So I'm not going to go back and forth with you. You already have a reputation. So everyone already knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moodryn you gotta stop with this upsampling bullcrap. You feed the DAC 44.1 16 bit, bit perfect output, the Compass won't upsample it to 48 or 96. You gotta stop, stop it now, if you are too incompetent to setup Winamp, Foobar, Media Monkey correctly, not our problem, nor is it Audio-gd's. Don't like the DAC, buy the Valab, no one cares. I trust the ears of Peete, Curra over some marketing bullcrud by Valab.

And for gevorg, stop being lazy. Peete and Currawong themselves have done extensive testing of just the amp.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3,394 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to stop mixing my words. I never said the compass did any upsampling to 16/24. I stated that it's an oversampling dac. There's a difference between. Upsampling and over sampling. I did see in one post I said made a mistake and said upsampling, if you check all the rest, I said oversampling. Do you homework. Over sampling does not taka a 16/44.1 signal and up samples it to 24/96. Nor did I say it did. I also didn't say anything about wanting a valab. I wasn't even the one who brought it up. All of my post has been toward how I can' wait to get a compass. So get your facts straight. Oh I know your can't help yourself. This has happened numerous times. You just love being wrong. So I'm not going to go back and forth with you. You already have a reputation. So everyone already knows.

Just add him to your ignore list. Hes the first, and only, person I have put on mine. I love technology =D
darthsmile.gif

Once I get the Compass in the mail, the first step for me will be to configure my media players appropriately.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #3,396 of 7,725
A'ight guys!

I think that we should all get laid to get rid of the overbuilding tension around the Compass but not all together.
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3,397 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does it say in the PDF that it up-samples?

No where. The Sigma Delta process is for digital filtering....it is not upsampled in the traditional sense, what goes in is what comes out. It's funny I spent some time yesterday looking at both data sheets for the CS8416 and the AD1852 for the Zero, had a look in here and noticed the talk was centered around 1852 and what it does.

Here's a link that should help everyone understand what is happening with the Sigma Delta chips...well for the most part ...

Analog Devices: It may be Greek to you, but sigma delta converters are not really hard to understand. :: Analog to Digital Converters

The DSP chip is as important (if not more) to the circuit as is the type of DAC chosen followed very closely by quality of power supply (supplies). If the PSU is compromised the DSP/DAC chips won't matter all that much...it'll sound like ass until you give them a top notch power supply. That should give you pause for thought and explain why the power supplies in all of Kingwa's DAC's (and other gear) are so carefully constructed and (seemingly) massively overbuilt.

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #3,398 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure that it is fairly simple to make a "pigtail" to adapt the XLR inputs to RCA. You lose the benefits of the XLR connection but it is no worse than RCA ( assuming of course that you use high quality wire and connectors). Lavry is now shipping this with his new DA11....
value!
wink_face.gif

Every new DA11 box comes with a pair of XLR to RCA adapters.
They are high quality, and cause no degradation (as clearly stated in the product manual under specifications).

While it is "fairly simple to make a "pigtail" to adapt the XLR inputs to RCA", we supply the unit with the adapters to make the DA11 ready for RCA connector use right out of the box.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #3,399 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, I'm going to spend some time with John Watkinson's Introduction to Digital Audio. I'm getting tired of not quite knowing what I'm talking about.
biggrin.gif

Be prepared for a lot of insomnia cure type nomenclature......just check the link I posted (for the simple explanation of Sigma Delta) for a small sample of such...
smily_headphones1.gif

Your right though, educated person = informed person
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats to Curra on the status upgrade (although to me he was already a Supremus before the tittle change).

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #3,400 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are high quality, and cause no degradation (as clearly stated in the product manual under specifications).

While it is "fairly simple to make a "pigtail" to adapt the XLR inputs to RCA", we supply the unit with the adapters to make the DA11 ready for RCA connector use right out of the box.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence

Thanks Dan for your input.

Well this is good news for those who want CAST in their C2Cs, Im sure a similar XLR to RCA adapter can be sourced somewhere else like here
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #3,401 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence

Thanks Dan. I have followed your products for many years and do not doubt that a DA11 ( or maybe a used DA10 being sold cheaply!) is in my future also.
You have made some great stuff and contributed greatly to A/D and D/A product design over the years. Thanks!!

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3,402 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be prepared for a lot of insomnia cure type nomenclature......just check the link I posted (for the simple explanation of Sigma Delta) for a small sample of such...
smily_headphones1.gif

It's ok, I'm used to reading technical stuff, just in a different field. And at least that book is just the digest version of his "The Art of Digital Audio".

I'll check out that link too. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #3,403 of 7,725
It occurs to me that this question doesn't really belong in the Compass thread.....I'm not nitpicking I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic ...

I'm fairly certain the C2C does not differentiate the type of input signal for a "CAST" like function. I think you guys have mixed things up a little. Full CAST requires the dedicated circuitry if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the C2C page's explanation.....you guys need to read this stuff before posting questions that are answered on the C2C page itself.....

"Design Features:

The technology employed in C-2C Headphone amplifier is at par with KRELL. Previously, this technology was used only in very high-end gears of famous manufacturers. BPM-7110 module is composed of all discrete transistors; it adopts a current working style which guarantees ultra low distortion. This special technique and circuit counteract the non-linearity caused by transistor. The output signal depends entirely on the resistors in the module. The resistors used in our BPM7110 module are the expensive and accurate Israel VISHEY resistors imported from USA. This module sells for over 60,000 yen in Japan. When BPM-7110 with current technology is adopted to make headphone amplifier, the voltage gain and the volume can be synchronously adjusted. Therefore, a high SNR and a low distortion are achieved. Even with a slightly higher gain, there is no overload distortion in effective output range.
This circuit has exceptionally high sound restoration ability.

You can input XLR balanced signal or RCA unbalanced signal. No matter what kind of signal is input, it has the ability to transfer it to current signal and amplify it.

The output stage is also elaborately designed. By applying cascode circuit which is combined by bi-polar transistor and FET transistor, this board not only achieves a better linearity, but also improves the driving force to a higher level than that with pure field effect transistor. Therefore, the sound delivery is more lively and enchanting.

To achieve a better effect, C-2C also employs the complex parallel stabilized voltage supply to get a purer power supply, so that better sound quality is guaranteed.

C-2C uses all aluminum chassis (Black). Dimensions: width 250mm, height 75mm and depth 290mm. Panel thicknesses 8mm.

The balanced XLR input sockets of C-2 are both expensive Neutrik products. Other sockets include RCA socket of CMC, etc. It is soldered with WBT silver solder."

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3,404 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's ok, I'm used to reading technical stuff, just in a different field. And at least that book is just the digest version of his "The Art of Digital Audio".

I'll check out that link too. Thanks!

Let me know the details (links, publisher etc) of this book Dro...I'm interested in it as well. For some reason I have a DAC and Tube amp fetish (to go along with the Planar/Ribbon fetish...
biggrin.gif
)

Peete.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3,405 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Dan for your input.

Well this is good news for those who want CAST in their C2Cs, Im sure a similar XLR to RCA adapter can be sourced somewhere else like here
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, you can buy such adapters from a few manufacturers, but they are not all the same quality. Of course one issue is the mechanical construction, but less obvious is the electrical characteristics. One would think that all of those "simple devices" should be fine, but it is not so! When you order such an adapter, most often the seller does not tell you the manufacturer, and they may substitute a different brand at different times.

One of those adapter brands introduced clear distortions (measured on an Audio Precision test system). I opened it, and the connection was not even a soldered wire, it was based on some really poor "friction" and one of the conductors was the case itself... I was really surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back