The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #2,597 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superman wasn't my choice either, I liked a simple switch symbol, but superman won out. I think I at least managed to tone it down for the designs a bit.

Yeah, I liked the switch icon too.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #2,598 of 7,725
Its a bit OT but I found another pic by the artist in King wa's forum. It's quite interesting, I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean with peete's name on the sash (?). Discuss!
dt880smile.png

20092171626487362.jpg

There's another with peete/Curra serving as the spokesman in an ad.

20092170432315803.jpg

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2,599 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a bit OT but I found another pic by the artist in King wa's forum. It's quite interesting, I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean with peete's name on the sash (?). Discuss!
dt880smile.png

20092171626487362.jpg

With Peace Doves flying overhead!

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2,603 of 7,725
there's actually more of those pics about the ads in the forum. It becomes more of a cartoon. Heres the link:
Compass¹úÍâ²âÆÀ[ºÎÇ컪DIY¼¼ÊõÂÛ̳]

I didn't include those because I didn't want to take up too much space here
tongue.gif

EDIT: If you look closely, peete/Curra is featured in everything slide of the cartoon
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #2,604 of 7,725
Where's my shotgun..... Squab for dinner tonight
biggrin.gif

That's pretty funny.....

Peete

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #2,605 of 7,725
i find it kinda creepy, like the artist has some weird crush on peete, but that's just me.

joeoboe, are you using the presonus central station or the hp4? just wanted to clarify...

from what you said, i guess if you had to choose to buy either the compass or a central station for personal (not studio) listening, you would choose the compass?

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #2,606 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Corda, how much cost would it add to have an option for a crossfeed switch on Compass? Maybe crossfeed can be one of the optional upgrades like the current preamp out.

I think you're seriously underestimating how complicated the design of a crossfeed-circuit is. Or at least, how complicated it is to do it well. I think the general consensus is that Jan Meier's crossfeed design is the only one that doesn't degrade sound quality too badly (and he licensed it to Headroom, so it's in their products as well). Still, it will never be a purist option, because even Jan Meier's best efforts cause a reduction in bass focus, general separation and detail. But the main point is, that it would take a serious design effort from Kingwa to come up with a good crossfeed circuit of his own. Maybe someday, if the headphone market proves particularly profitable to him. It certainly would be interesting if he could come up with an even beter design than that of Jan.

I have actually, in preparation for listening to the Compass, weened myself of crossfeed and I don't think I will go back. Once I got used to listening without it, I started to appreciate the significant sonic benefits that come with switching it off.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2,607 of 7,725
Those cartoons are real works of art, you can spend a long while coming up with interpretations for them.

Is there anything relevant written in the Chinese script of the first cartoon? Or is that just the artists name in characters?

And what the hell is that woman doing in the dumpster in the second one?? (Or is that just my sick interpretation?)
confused_face.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #2,609 of 7,725
Awwww, Pricklely Petes rosy cheeks!

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #2,610 of 7,725
If the new faceplate moves more than a couple parts, it won't be usable with the first generation Compass. Will audio-gd be selling replacement faceplates or not? I'll pay extra for a second faceplate just to get things moving. Otherwise there's going to be 20 pages of discussion about if and when the initial 40 old style faceplates sold out.

I just got my price quote for direct payment to hong kong in RMB and shipment to Taiwan. (Incidentally the mhdt guys will not sell to me locally). The compass isn't on their price list. If and when do I specify Earth, Moon, Sun...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back