The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #2,251 of 7,725
For those who like the universal power icon

front-alternative2.gif

I don't think labeling the digital inputs with numbers would be good, my personal opinion is that would get confusing.

Haha! Someone said they would like any font but comic sans. How about wingdings?
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2,252 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who like the universal power icon

front-alternative2.gif

I don't think labeling the digital inputs with numbers would be good, my personal opinion is that would get confusing.

Haha! Someone said they would like any font but comic sans. How about wingdings?
biggrin.gif

The second one here looks awesome, needs a Kewl Pictogram on the Super Button though!

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2,253 of 7,725
How bout the Superman logo?
biggrin.gif
For the input selector, it is perfectly possible to make it icons, as USB has an icon and for the coaxial just have a pictogram of the connector and the optical be like, a square with a circle in the middle. Still, I think it would look better with letters

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2,254 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think it will be impossible. the usb/coax/opt icons could easily be 1/2/3. and the super button could be just a simple icon.

edit: also i think the font size on the current compass is a tad bit too big looking.

Oh ok
tongue.gif
I was thinking you meant like having a little USB icon or an optical one and I have no idea what you could use for those

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2,256 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpentd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there sandchak, I wanted to thank you for the sound advice. Thanks for reminding me to stay patient and keep both my feet planted firmly on the ground. I appreciate the advice, which I plan on following. Cheers man.
beerchug.gif

To Peete, dude that review of yours was mind blowing. It was really cool to read about the music you used. I'm a music junkie and had most of everything you used in either cd or vinyl. For you to use Dream Theater with one of my top 5 drummer influences "Mike Portnoy" was too awesome (I've been a drummer for over 25 years), by the way they would be considered Prog Metal, though genres can be subjective especially when it comes to metal. Not to mention somebody else that owns Dead Can Dance is quite rare. Some of the most intense and unique music I've ever heard. I doesn't have a "genre" I don't think.
wink.gif

Anyway, for your review coming from a beginners point of view to this type of equipment was very intriguing and also very humbling. I thought I knew a little bit about home audio, which I do, however you put into perspective on how little I really know. This is very exciting to me as I tend to Master and move on to the next hobby all too often withing a few years. You put this in perspective that this can be a life long hobby if you choose. Something I would love to do. I would love to have a neighbor like yourself and be able to pick your brain, even if it was for one evening.

Anyway, that is by far one of the best reviews I've ever read even if I only understood some of it (at least when it came to your equipment). It feels as though I came into this hobby at a perfect time in my life and your review got me very excited in many different ways. Can't wait to read it again! Cheers man.
smile.gif

Wow talk about a compliment. Thanks brother !!

Peete.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2,257 of 7,725
I actually like the first front panel. My main gripe is the symbol for volume. I just don't like the looks of the pictogram and would rather is stay as a word. Course I'm fine either way (and can live with any design change), the first one just looks more appealing to me.

front-alternative2.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #2,258 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
strictly off the topic : I hang around sometimes in Kingwa's Chinese forum and I must say they have one particular very good caricature artist.. so it was nice to see a Chinese caricature of Peete after his review came out..

20092142135413774.jpg

interesting .. wonder if it has any resemblance to Peete...

Nope......pretty cool none the less !!! I'm getting close to the old five o but still look much younger than my actual age (so says the wife who insists on no facial hair, and she's the boss
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Peete.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #2,259 of 7,725
compass.jpg

i was bored so i played around with csrocs idea. i took his template as well, hope you dont mind csroc. and i took the logo from the audio-gd website. i felt that the icons should be smaller, and i kinda like the whole 1-2-3 idea for the selector. and i also felt that the word "compass" should be in caps.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2,261 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superman logo? haha

Anywho I think I am leaning towards something like this personally.

new-compass-look.gif

Looks good, csroc. The spacing between the rear switches works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WC Annihilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout the Superman logo?
biggrin.gif
For the input selector, it is perfectly possible to make it icons, as USB has an icon and for the coaxial just have a pictogram of the connector and the optical be like, a square with a circle in the middle. Still, I think it would look better with letters

Superman logo would be cool or maybe use one of the smiley Head-Fi'er emoticons to denote pure audio bliss
beyersmile.png
for whatever function is assigned. I was thinking along the same lines with using the USB symbol, coaxial with a circle and a dot in the middle, and optical using a a square with a dot or light rays inside. The front panel would have a very clean look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main gripe is the symbol for volume. I just don't like the looks of the pictogram and would rather is stay as a word.

Instead of a solid triangle, use a silhouette with a fine line. The line thickness should be consistent with the power, headphone, and selector icons.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2,262 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
compass.jpg

i was bored so i played around with csrocs idea. i took his template as well, hope you dont mind csroc. and i took the logo from the audio-gd website. i felt that the icons should be smaller, and i kinda like the whole 1-2-3 idea for the selector. and i also felt that the word "compass" should be in caps.

This one looks nice, but IMHO would look better with Pictograms for the Inputs instead of Numbers, and an S inside a Diamond maybe for the Super button. The advantage of the Pictograms are Internationality. All caps in the Compass name look nice.

Perhaps Kingwa could make extra Faceplates when all said is done and sell them as upgrades to those who would like to swap them out if that is possible. I would pay for one. Shipping would be cheap, and he would not have to worry about sales not progressing because of people waiting for the final final final version!

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2,263 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of a solid triangle, use a silhouette with a fine line. The line thickness should be consistent with the power, headphone, and selector icons.

That's a good idea, I'll try that out. I think the line thickness on the other two icons may be a bit much as well so I'll play with them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #2,264 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you felt we needed the 19db of gain setting, but recently lowered it to 15 ( which is just above the 13db of the lower gain setting we now have). Do you feel that an additional preamp would then be needed to use the Compass with a vinyl front end? I have lent out my vinyl set up to my brother so I cannot test it myself.

The Phono stage I used has two output gain levels. I used the higher output but I also feel most decent stages could easily make do with the lowered 15db max gain. I still only had the Compass volume to 11 o'clock position with plenty of travel left. So having thought about it and talked it over with Curra...the compromise of 9/15 seemed most logical.

Peete.

PS I took Sunday off and today is stat holiday in Canaduh...so we were all out in the Sunshine for a change. Nice change of pace considering this winter has been very snowy and cold up until last week. I'm now getting caught up with the thread. Part III writing starts in earnest Tuesday morning. At 12 pages it's the largest of 3 parts so have patience folks it's coming.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2,265 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually like the first front panel. My main gripe is the symbol for volume. I just don't like the looks of the pictogram and would rather is stay as a word. Course I'm fine either way (and can live with any design change), the first one just looks more appealing to me.

front-alternative2.gif

I'm also voting for Volume text here too, also seems more uniform to have pictograms on the left, text to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back