The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #1,171 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know some power conditioners add brightness (coloration) to the music and covers up some of the details you can hear? My Monster Power HT 1000 did it, I never knew until I compared it to a regular power strip outlet. The regular power strip outlet gave more detail and music sounded less bright, everything was better. Now I use 5 PS Audio Harvesters and it lowers the background noise well without losing details and dynamics, makes the background blacker and every instrument easily heard within the ambiance. The ambiance use to be background noise and music ambiance covering the vocals and instruments but now its clear, I like the clarity. I'm thinking a good quality power cable differ from a stock power cable in respect to great EMI/RFI shielding to lower the background noise even more for a blacker background, and give some oophm to the vocals and instruments to be more resolving. I haven't tried any custom power cables, but from what I've read online that seems to be what it can do.

my furman ac-215 does add a little bit of brightness, but compared to my belkin surge protector everything is smooth and clear. I have no idea how other power conditioners or power cables sound, but ifare comparable to others then I'd say that power conditioning has a more drastic effect than power cable.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,172 of 7,725
Most high quality conditioners don't add anything to the overall sound...or at least they shouldn't. I plug all my amps directly into dedicated circuits and use the conditioner on all the digital gear to keep the hash out of the semi- pristine dedicated lines. I have no issues with reduced dynamics or noise on the line....depends on your situation (local utility,wiring, age of grid) as well....I'm out in the boonies on new transformers with all power lines buried underground between here and the sub station. That must make a little bit of a difference. When I used to live in Downtown TO in a renovated 130 year old NY Brownstone, the power line quality there was awful and it effected fidelity to a pretty good degree.

I guess there is one advantage to being out in the near middle of nowhere in a new sub division. Sucks for just about everything else though
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #1,174 of 7,725
Holy crap........35KVA !!! LOL...that must be some PC
biggrin.gif

That thing must weigh a ton..not sure how good it would be for audio though. Try it and find out.

Peete.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #1,176 of 7,725
Man I hate these comments. Why do you care how a 250$ DAC stacks against a 1,300 dollar DAC. Its pretty stupid IMO. Honestly what are you expecting? Seriously what are you expecting, the Compass, a Mid-FI audio to beat one of the highest rated Audiophile DACs on the market? Just lame.

If by, holycow, surprise, the DAC1 is superior to the Compass, you are going to run out and buy the DAC1 now? Whatever...

Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparisons to the DAC1 would be great, I'm looking forward to it.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #1,177 of 7,725
I'm not looking at the DAC1 as competition, I'm looking for a comparison. I have heard the DAC1, not a Zero, and a comparison to the Compass would give me a better idea as to how it sounds, and I can make a more informed decision.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #1,179 of 7,725
As for the DAC1, I can understand why you want the comparison, but that doesn't mean I still don't think its lame. But lucky for you, Curra will be doing that comparison for you.

Its still premature and early, but here is my beginner impression of the difference Moon and Earth makes.

Moon is very smooth, its laid back. The soundstage is large, as another tester mentioned since the mids are more recessed than the Earth. Moon has great synergy with the D2000, but for AD900, its not enough fun.

The Earth, is definitely more neutral, more detail and well more fun. You lose a little bit of the soundstage that made me go whoa the first time I heard the Compass. The Bass actually has more impact with the Earth I found so far, which probably is supported with stronger lower mids. I'm liking it so far, hopefully others here can give their opinion of Earth.

My experience so far, for headphones, choose the settings that play into the strengths of your headphones. I thought since the AD900s were already forward, and great on the Mids/Trebles and Soundstage, that Moon would be most beneficial. But I seem to be wrong. I think I prefer Earth.

This all may change next week, but that's my observation so far.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #1,180 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap........35KVA !!! LOL...that must be some PC
biggrin.gif

That thing must weigh a ton..not sure how good it would be for audio though. Try it and find out.

Peete.

No LOL. I'm using its little brother, the 500W version. Same layout and everything.

I guess I'll try it later once I get my hands on the Compass. I did some research on audio-use power conditioners and those brands will be difficult to get around here.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #1,181 of 7,725
If others are wondering, when you first see the Compass as stated before, you think, damn, its build like a rock. Its solid, definitely a reason why it weighs so much.

But when you open it up to change your Opamp or just curiosity, that's when you go, WHOA, Damn! Its so beautiful, and it just screams professionalism. Pictures here don't do it justice. If some of you choose to buy this Compass, I believe you will have the same reaction. You will just stare at the interior and be amazed. And then you will take a look again, and be amazed all over again. For a Mid-Fi competitor to the 152 and others, its truly impressive.

Of course I'm referring to others like myself where the Compass will be the best DAC/Amp you will have personally owned so far, not tried/demoed, but owned.

I truly believe at this promotional price, for 258 USD, you won't find a better DAC/Amp combo. As for 475+ I cannot say, but I think everyone who has tried the Compass so far will agree, at the 258 USD price mark, its worth every dollar and more.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,183 of 7,725
How do you think a pair of 580's combined with the Earth OPA would sound through the compass? (I may have my answer with pete's review since he has a pair of 650's... or were they 600's?)

I've always liked the idea of unadulterated sound so the whole sound-neutrality bit sounds pretty nifty to me.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,184 of 7,725
Yeah I think you are right.

But I know this for sure, when Kingwa was asked to design the Compass, he was asked to make sure it would drive the HD650 well, its why he provided a 19 db gain. I hope Peete will provide the review and assessment you are looking for to make your purchasing decision.

But if you are looking for a more neutral sound with more distinct, impactful bass, Earth is the way to go. So when Kingwa sells the upgraded version, you will have to ask him sepcifically to either send you the Compass with Earth instead of Moon or just buy the Earth along with the Moon, its 20 extra dollars I think, not bad.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #1,185 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks mbd !

PS Just saw the Keces shot you posted......wow.....to me it looks cheap, even cheaper than the Zero......but I've heard it's a decent little performer. I sure would like to compare one to what I have on hand to see where it might stack up.

It looks really cheap. I think it is a big g a p. Nobody uses opamp for power supplies or output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back