The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #1,066 of 7,725
Seems it's a couple degrees warmer than it was when I last checked. So are the walls of the room though. Having my computer and whatnot on, as well as my NAD amp and the Compass has a bit of an effect on room temps
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #1,067 of 7,725
Jan 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,068 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

My views on burn-in... contradict much of those from members on here. I've heard the difference between capacitors in the signal path - burn in does happen here, IMO. But semiconductors - transistors, opamps, etc... I have never found any audible evidence of "burn-in". There is - really is - a difference to me between cold and hot equipment, but I am unable to find any difference between a opamp with 1000+ hours of use, and one fresh out of the packet(once both are up to temperature). I can also understand why there can be a difference between new and used with electromagnetic headphones.

IMO, "burn-in" is a myth for the most part(aside from capacitors in the audio signal path). I do, however, firmly believe that it takes a long time for the human mind, and ears, to properly appreciate the sonic characteristics of a product. As one becomes more accustomed with the product in question, it becomes more familiar, and pleasing to the user. Familiarity plays a major part in being able to find the minor, hidden details with recordings.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've never seen anything that can accurately or scientifically determine the effect on a repeat basis. All I see - on a repeated basis - is the comments of some individual users with a solitary piece of equipment and their memory of tonal reproduction several days, weeks or even months ago.

Having been able to compare two Zero's next to each other - one with thousands of hours use, the other with a handful... when both units have the same capacitors installed in the signal path with lots of hours on them, there was absolutely no discernable difference between the two.

~Phewl.

That dude is a fookwit.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly and unreservedly take back what I've previously said.

I've sat here, utterly and totally blown away with what I've just experienced. I ordered the Sun v1 and Earth OPA modules several months ago. I liked the Earth, but initially loved the vibrancy and energy of the Sun, which had a lot more use. When I moved over to Stax, I found the strong characteristics of the Sun to be overwhelming, and the mix of the two became tyring. With the Earth... everything was beautiful. The Earth has since had a LOT of use - it's powered up all the time, and has been used for... I don't know - 2000 hours, maybe more.

I tried the Sun in my Compass earlier this evening, and found the same traits I had witnessed before. I've had the Moon in for 24 hours or so... I can understand why it has a strong following on here.
smily_headphones1.gif

However... Kingwa sent me a second Earth module with my Compass, in addition to the Moon I'd opted to try, so I could use it in my brothers Zero(heck, the shipping was obviously free given how little space it would take up in the box! I may as well enlighten him!).

The difference between this "fresh" module and my "well-used" one is nothing short of astonishing. It really is hugely and significantly different. The soundstage on the used one is wider. The bass response is firmer, with more depth. But the difference in the top-end is utterly astronomical. Everything feels SO much more alive and natural.

Anyone who has gone from the opamps recommended for the Zero, to the new OPA module in it - the difference between the two is the only way I can describe the difference between the well-used OPA and the new one. It is utterly huge, it really is.

Now... I don't think Kingwa has changed the design of the Earth, but they aren't a perfect comparison. My original Earth was shipped before Kingwa started adding the 2 small caps to the power lines. I did add these to my Earth many months ago, but they aren't the same capacitors as the ones used by Kingwa.

The values, and type of capacitor, however are the same. Whether or not the difference between these capacitors accounts for the difference in sound between the two, I don't know. I do doubt it though.

The new OPA-Earth is in my Compass now. It shall remain there for one whole month, of constant use. At the end of December, I shall try the swap again, where - I expect - I'll find the two units to sound much the same as each other.

Time will tell. I wasn't a believer(as my quoted post testifies), but I just cannot attribute the sonic differences to be down to the different capacitors. Heck, they aren't even in the audio signal path...

So - publicly, and in [size=medium]big letters, AudoPhewl recognises he was a moronic twonk for applying logic to sound[/size].

smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #1,069 of 7,725
Just to add - I've never heard a difference between a well-used and unused "typical" opamp, save for the few minutes they can take to acquire some heat.

And I'm sorry for making such a long post(it'll seem even longer to those reading it, because there is the quoted section too!). But I figured I was one of the few people to have a thoroughly-used module to compare to a brand-spanking-new one, and this was a rather important comparison(at least in my eyes).
smily_headphones1.gif

PS - my Stax valve energiser is considerably hotter than the Compass. Heat really, really isn't an issue.

~Phewl.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,070 of 7,725
Quote:

That dude is a fookwit.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly and unreservedly take back what I've previously said.

I've sat here, utterly and totally blown away with what I've just experienced. I ordered the Sun v1 and Earth OPA modules several months ago. I liked the Earth, but initially loved the vibrancy and energy of the Sun, which had a lot more use. When I moved over to Stax, I found the strong characteristics of the Sun to be overwhelming, and the mix of the two became tyring. With the Earth... everything was beautiful. The Earth has since had a LOT of use - it's powered up all the time, and has been used for... I don't know - 2000 hours, maybe more.

<<<<SNIP SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Very Nice!

Let us knw in a month or so how it pans out!

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,071 of 7,725
Welcome to the club AP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now you know why I've been adamant to others about giving these modules the time they need before passing judgment on them. The problems arise when most give up before reaching the goal and put something else in (another module flavor or the IC opamp o the month) having almost reached the promised land.....but ...buddy wait !!! It's only another 125 hours damn it...you...ugh....put back.....thingie.. sigh
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
cheers AP
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #1,072 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Discrete 100% Audio-dg Design vs Minimalist....

The name of the company is audio-gd, not audio-dg.

At first I thought you just made a typo or two, but I've noticed a lot of those erroneous references throughout your posts and your sig line.

Hopefully those can be edited/corrected so that your contributions will be included when people do searches using the name of the company.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #1,073 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The name of the company is audio-gd, not audio-dg.

At first I thought you just made a typo or two, but I've noticed a lot of those erroneous references throughout your posts and your sig line.

Hopefully those can be edited/corrected so that your contributions will be included when people do searches using the name of the company.

Hey Man!
Making fun of Dyslexics is Not Kewl!

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #1,075 of 7,725
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the "gd" in Audio-gd means?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispyambulance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it still possible to order one of these at the promotional price? What exactly is the promotional price?

It is still possible, however all the "test" units have sold out and no more will be available until the end of February it sounds like. The promotional price is $258 currently before any shipping costs. I don't know if any upgrades myself and the other testers suggest might cause that price to increase. I think the price is good until April or so.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #1,076 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by crispyambulance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my ignorance, but this thread is 72 pages.

Is it still possible to order one of these at the promotional price? What exactly is the promotional price?

According to the ¦ó庆华 ºÍ§Ó*µ响 website, the promotional price of $258USD + shipping will be available for the first few months.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #1,077 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Man!
Making fun of Dyslexics is Not Kewl!

LOL, I wasn't making fun...just trying to help get his posts to show up in searches...

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #1,078 of 7,725
Thanks for the answers. I suppose it's too early for a concensus on the unit's quality compared to other DACs, huh?

Here's a somewhat random question: do digital audio cables have a limit to how long they can be? I know that RCA and headphone cables, as analogue, might begin to deteriorate the quality of the signal as extensions are added. It seems possible to me that a digital signal might become corrupted if the cable is too long; though I have no real expertise. I think I would need a ten foot or so cable from my computer to my cabinet of equipment, which isn't so long, I suppose, but I'd like to make sure it's practical.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #1,079 of 7,725
Quote:

The difference between this "fresh" module and my "well-used" one is nothing short of astonishing. It really is hugely and significantly different. The soundstage on the used one is wider. The bass response is firmer, with more depth. But the difference in the top-end is utterly astronomical. Everything feels SO much more alive and natural.
Anyone who has gone from the opamps recommended for the Zero, to the new OPA module in it - the difference between the two is the only way I can describe the difference between the well-used OPA and the new one. It is utterly huge, it really is.

Yeah, that's what we need! Old vs. new comparisons. Thanks for this. Ok, I guess it's not a 100% equal given the slight difference between the modules, but pretty darn convincing nonetheless.

I'm really looking forward to you power cable comparison. But I assume you will be doing that with a fully burned-in unit.

It makes me all the more impatient to begin the burn-in journey with my Compass. This morning the website says it just left Brussels. Brussels?? Yes, Brussels, please don't ask me what it was doing there. Next stop might be Rome. I think it's time for me to complain to DHL.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #1,080 of 7,725
AudioPhewl, capacitors matter a lot, if you want to compare, remove cap upgrades from both OPA-Earth's for the time of comparison or make sure you put exactly the same type of capacitors on both devices and let them play for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back