The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #646 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I have just posted my review of the DAC-100 and the ST-3 headphone amp from audio-gd in a new thread.
The link to the review is in my signature.

Thanx for that link.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #648 of 7,725
I just emailed Kingwa asking in the next version if its possible to get the Knobs for Volume and Source selection (USB/Coax/Optical) in silver and the Headphone Jack in black.

Told him I would pay for the upgrade, I hope its possible. I think would improve the look of the Compass.

Quote:

Hey Kingwa,

Wanted to send one large email with my suggestions.

I would suggest changing Super to Bypass. Change Ear Out to Headphone

Suggest using the Black Headphone Jack instead of the Silver.

And possibly using the Silver knobs from the C-39 Truly Balanced
instead of the black ones.

I personally willing to pay extra for these upgrades.

Thanks

I just received an email. We can get the Silver Knobs instead, but it would take longer since he can't get them shipped until after holiday. And if the Silver Knobs are a popular suggestion, he may make it in upgrade, a choice for the users.

He asked his Chinese supplier about the Black Neutrik, they do not supply them, oh well. This is something I'm sure someone here can post a DIY for that on our own.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #649 of 7,725
I was going to ask for the black Neutrik jack as well when I send him my feedback. I hadn't thought about silver knobs... that would match some of his other gear if the Compass just had the nice machined aluminum knobs. I'll have to ponder that a bit. I've already started a Word document with a handful of ideas for changes and will add to that list when I get my Compass (later this week I hope!).

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #651 of 7,725
The DAC-100 costs 249$

Promotional price of the Compass is 258$

The DAC in the Compass is supposed to be the same as the DAC-100.

Its up to you, you decide.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #652 of 7,725
$9 for super versatility, crazy inputs, an awesome builder with awesome customer service, and a super neat, organized inside that would make DIY to it so much easier?! SIGN ME UP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC-100 costs 249$

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #653 of 7,725
Look guys...keep the cosmetic requests on hold until the unit proves itself first.

That stuff can be addressed once all the minor technical wrinkles are sorted. These changes (preamp mode alone) at the last minute mean a lot of work for Kingwa and his team so let's not add to his burden right now....please
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean no offense by these comments, I'm simply voicing my opinion as I see it.

The CDM12 Pro arrived today !!! I'm busy assembling (the CD puck needs the assembly) and taking pics ATM.

Peete.

PS My Compass ships today.....what a guy Kingy is.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #654 of 7,725
Quote:

The DAC-100 costs 249$

I know, my friend but like a good boy I am, I think I'm going to wait until the reviews come out before jumping the gun. I have to sell the Zero first to fund the Compass of course.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #655 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look guys...keep the cosmetic requests on hold until the unit proves itself first.

That stuff can be addressed once all the minor technical wrinkles are sorted. These changes (preamp mode alone) at the last minute mean a lot of work for Kingwa and his team so let's not add to his burden right now....please
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean no offense by these comments, I'm simply voicing my opinion as I see it.

I agree, which is why (aside from responding to others) I'm collecting my thoughts in a Word file instead of posting them here
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

PS My Compass ships today.....what a guy Kingy is.

Mine does too I hope... although he did email em asking me to send my phone number urgently this morning (my time, not his) before he could ship it, so I hope I got that to him on time.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #656 of 7,725
Quote:

I think that your statement may be inaccurate. Did anyone tell you they were the same? Such as Kingwa? I see similarity looking at the boards, but I wouldn't say the DAC's were the same. There "seems' to be a similar design philosophy.

So, could you post what you are basing this statement on? I would like to know this as well.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #657 of 7,725
I can confirm that the DAC is exactly the same in both models. The AD1852 is used by both.

However, I'm not saying that the DAC circuit is the same. It appears to be broadly very similar, though...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #658 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that the DAC is exactly the same in both models. The AD1852 is used by both.

However, I'm not saying that the DAC circuit is the same. It appears to be broadly very similar, though...
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Heh, that's a good one! That DAC chip is used in about a zillion DACs probably, and mostly of note, the Zero DAC.

If you have two amps using KT-88's, that doesn't mean they are the same amp and will sound the same. The assertion here in a few posts is that there is no reason to buy a DAC-100 now, that it is obsolete because as has been noted, only $9 more gets you a Compass that has a DAC-100 in it. It would be interesting to hear what Kingwa says the difference is between the Compass DAC and the DAC-100 is and whether they are the "same". The Comapss DAC looks like a low budget version of the DAC-100 to me. They look like kindred spirits but not the same.

Does anyone have anything from Audio-gd as to the comparison between the DAC-100 and the Compass's DAC module?

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #659 of 7,725
Dont forget that the current Compass price is simply trial. It will go up to the estimated $350-400USD after that period has lapsed. Once that point comes around, Compass wont consume the 100s sales, they will be differentiated products. One will have an amp, the other will not (sound differences which arise from engineering differences will be determined soon enough hopefully).

Until reviews arrive to indicate an auditory difference, and the price goes up, it is a safe assumption that the Compass will consume the 100s sales.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #660 of 7,725
I'm very interested in buying a Compass and that's been my reasoning for holding off on purchasing the Zero... Actually, I specifically asked my father to delay on a x-mas gift for one. But, I'm a bit worried about the promotional discount ending since I'd like to see one or two reviews before I ask my dad to plop down the $300 for it.

So, when does the promo period end?

Like I said, I'd love to snatch one of these up while they're still in the $250 range but if they go much higher I'll have to go back to the cheaper alternative (da Zero).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back