The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #346 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why anyone would be so critical right now.

He's selling us a DAC/AMP combo using the same design as his DAC-100, which has already been proven to be a great DAC, on top of that, he's implemented various technologies he developed he normally would have charged as extra for nothing.

He's listened to the Head-Fiers here, he has obviously shown with his updates that he is aware of their concerns and addressed them.

Why are you being so critical and well being a jerk about it?

Its a 250$ DAC/AMP, and arguably the DAC alone he could charge for 250, instead you're getting an AMP with it, and so many high quality parts, with more inputs than any DAC/AMP I've seen of this quality.

The KECES 152 which is probably the closest one doesn't have all the concerns of Head-Fiers here addressed and its only USB input. The KECES 152 costs 475$, not including shipping.

So honestly, if you are so concerned and critical, then just don't buy it.

Why you are griefing Kingwa considering he is DOING YOU A FAVOR, is beyond me, regardless if he is getting more attention for it or not. His products are good enough to stand on their own merit, he doesn't need to do this, would think you would be more appreciative.

I can say I am truly excited about this. I think the moon OP will work wonderfully with my AD900. I love that he made it so we can choose the 14 or 20 gain, I will go with 14. If it wasn't for this, I would be spending 250$ on the KECES 151 DAC, plus shipping and then another 150$ on the Little Dot II, plus shipping, or the KECES 152 for 475, plus shipping. So just from a financial stand point, its an incredible deal. Most of all, I love that the Compass has been tailored the needs, requests and desires of Head-Fiers and their headphones.

I think everyone is getting a bit worked up. I think it's a strange way to label that switch because assuming the DAC in the Compass is fine (and I'm sure it is) then a label like that could throw off some people. I don't personally care although I would not have labeled it that if I were doing it.

It certainly isn't going to put me off from buying one either.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #347 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let me give it a try. The way I interpret is that he probably used some of his far more expensive gear upstream. So he was probably using a DAC that's at least 4 times the price of the Compass. Now, when he listens and bypasses the DAC and is pleasantly surprised by the result you could interpret it as the DAC being of lesser quality, but a far more logical conclusion would be that the Amp section is of a quality Kingwa did not expect beforehand. In other words, the Amp section will probably upscale very well. To me that's good news.
Anyways, I'm expecting the DAC section to be very good as well (certainly for the price). Kingwa has already developed a considerable number of audiophile DACs and is certainly looking to increase his reputation in the hifiworld. He would never allow the Compass to be equiped with just a mediocre DAC.

Hi,
First, Thanx for an answer rather than a flame attack for being the Cad that I am and asking a question or two. My degrees are all in Science, so when i see flawed logic in testing, I say hold on there, how, what, where, and why. If you hit the bypass button, the Headamp stays the same and the processing engine is changed. If your next statement is, look how good that Headamp sounds!! I'm going to raise my hand. I'm going to point out that the processor changed.

I'M GOING TO ASK YOU TO EXPLAIN YOUR STATEMENT. I'm going to ask how you backed up your statement and your test methodology.

I have to admit, it is difficult to test the HA SQ in isolation so that you can try to judge it on it's own merits. The only way i can think how to do it is with a lot of equipment that I was intimately familiar with. That is most likely what he means, but you can't deny that when the bypass switch is hit, a different "everything" is substituted for signal processing.

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' QUESTIONS!

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #348 of 7,725
Quote:

Its one thing to question and critique.

Its another to be a jerk. Honestly you sound a like crying little baby who never learned to be appreciative. Its all you've done throughout this entire topic, you've been crying, whining and accusing without any reason other than it seems, to be a jerk. You fail to read, you infer opinions because of your inability to read. Most of the posts here have been clear and simple, yet you have had to make it so complicated, and then try to lock onto one small statement, out of context and whine like a b*tch about it.

You may notice there have been many questions and critiques in this topic, but everyone else is able to be mature about it and not cry like an infant.

And no, he doesn't need your business les. He's already proven himself in this business and quite well known. He doesn't need to prove anything to you, he already has an impressive line up of DAC, Amps, Pre-Amps and other technologies he developed himself.

So yes, while he is benefiting from giving us a promotional price, in many ways he is in fact being altruistic. No one has to sell products at such a discount to gain some attention.

Go cry in a corner

WOW, you cut me to the quick. Call me more names!

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #349 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think everyone is getting a bit worked up. I think it's a strange way to label that switch because assuming the DAC in the Compass is fine (and I'm sure it is) then a label like that could throw off some people. I don't personally care although I would not have labeled it that if I were doing it.

It certainly isn't going to put me off from buying one either.

DAC Bypass would be good.

But what's in a name except maybe suggesting something about what the button does.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #350 of 7,725
Notice none of us had to have everything spelled out to like you do.

Maybe instead of whining you should try and use your brain sometime.

I'm done, I ranted here because I am so sick of reading your whining complaints in these posts. And most of it, its just because you are unable to read and try to infer negatives, as if to just be a jerk. And then you try and take some sort of pride as if you are doing everyone a favor by being hyper critical.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #351 of 7,725
That was my original point les, that name may be suggestive of something that wasn't intended. Bypass, DAC Bypass, Analog Input... anything like that would probably have been the wiser choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #352 of 7,725
Quote:

Notice none of us had to have everything spelled out to like you do.

Maybe instead of whining you should try and use your brain sometime.

I'm done, I ranted here because I am so sick of reading your whining complaints in these posts. And most of it, its just because you are unable to read and try to infer negatives, as if to just be a jerk. And then you try and take some sort of pride as if you are doing everyone a favor by being hyper critical.

Ahhhh Yes, YES, I'm loving it, more, More, Insult me more!

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #353 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was my original point les, that name may be suggestive of something that wasn't intended. Bypass, DAC Bypass, Analog Input... anything like that would probably have been the wiser choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Won't be an issue till you try to sell it and have to explain what it does. And the obvious subsequent question of, "why did they name it like that"?

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #355 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
First, Thanx for an answer rather than a flame attack for being the Cad that I am and asking a question or two. My degrees are all in Science, so when i see flawed logic in testing, I say hold on there, how, what, where, and why. If you hit the bypass button, the Headamp stays the same and the processing engine is changed. If your next statement is, look how good that Headamp sounds!! I'm going to raise my hand. I'm going to point out that the processor changed.

I'M GOING TO ASK YOU TO EXPLAIN YOUR STATEMENT. I'm going to ask how you backed up your statement and your test methodology.

I have to admit, it is difficult to test the HA SQ in isolation so that you can try to judge it on it's own merits. The only way i can think how to do it is with a lot of equipment that I was intimately familiar with. That is most likely what he means, but you can't deny that when the bypass switch is hit, a different "everything" is substituted for signal processing.

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' QUESTIONS!

Yeah well, I'm a fully qualified science guy myself. A few months away from a PhD in biology. And it won't help you one bit when your dealing with audiophile logic. A degree in psychology would be much better.
biggrin.gif

In my view you understand it correctly, the processing engine changes. As I see it, he changes it for a superior processing engine (he wouldn't use an inferior one, now would he?. His pleasant surprise is due to the extent that he notices that the superior sound that derives from the other source is still delivered through the amp to the headphones. In other words, he is hearing the true capabilities of the amp.

But please, let's stop reading way too much into this single statement. Let's wait for the thing to be available for review. And if you have faith enough in the product to actually buy it, let your own ears be the judge. That's what I will be doing.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #356 of 7,725
Quote:

Yeah well, I'm a fully qualified science guy myself. A few months away from a PhD in biology. And it won't help you one bit when your dealing with audiophile logic. A degree in psychology would be much better.
biggrin.gif

In my view you understand it correctly, the processing engine changes. As I see it, he changes it for a superior processing engine (he wouldn't use an inferior one, now would he?. His pleasant surprise is due to the extent that he notices that the superior sound that derives from the other source is still delivered through the amp to the headphones. In other words, he is hearing the true capabilities of the amp.

But please, let's stop reading way too much into this single statement. Let's wait for the thing to be available for review. And if you have faith enough in the product to actually buy it, let your own ears be the judge. That's what I will be doing.

100% Agreed. Especially about the Psychology statement. Marketing is an endeavour in Psychology n'est-ce pas? ?

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #357 of 7,725
Quote:

Let's wait for the thing to be available for review. And if you have faith enough in the product to actually buy it, let your own ears be the judge. That's what I will be doing.

AMEN! lets not get bent out of shape for a product that no one has gotten there hands on yet. When we get some reviews here we can better judge this product.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #358 of 7,725
OK, I think I have something to say..

If it makes sense to you, please let me know Les..

From the horses mouth : At USD258, I hope people are not excpecting the best DAC - Headphone Combo in the world.. BUT, Compass has the ability, when hooked up to a reference DAC of USD1000 value and a transport of very High grade, in the SUPER MODE to listen through the headamp and believe me it sounds super..
Dont look Compass only as a Box, but the ability to be a headphone amp, when you upgrade to a higher quality DAC + Source..

Full Funtions. point number 5, in his website :

Apart from the headphone amp inside Compass being very good by itself, when used in the “Super Mode”, Compass will separate the DAC and headphone section completely. In this mode users can input very high-end analogue signal through the headphone.

So Yes, through Reference DAC costing USD1000, it sounded SUPER - and SUPER was written because the Compass Had the ability to produce Superb sound through Headphones in the Bypass mode...

So yes, it is true that in Bypass mode it sounded better - But it is also YES, that it was used with a Reference DAC and transport.

expect Compass DAC the quality of DAC 1 and Headamp maybe even better than ST3..

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #360 of 7,725
No, I am as keen as anyone to find answers myself, the best way I feel to do that is to directly approach the person concerned - I guess that would be the hard way - the easiest way would just pass a comment..

Sarcasms aside, I am myself very keen to find out why super and I waiting for his reply..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back