The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jan 9, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #286 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tea-head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Les...for Mogami ref.

I saw pics without knobs...black chassis and front/back plates...so far very nice...he said they will have Moon opamp installed...

t

Don't be teasing us, post those PIX!

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #288 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tea-head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les,

KingWa asked me not to post...I guess he wants all to see it with knobs, not half dressed...sorry

Don't Tase Me Bro'!!

Errr, I mean

Don't Tease Me Bro'!!

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #289 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18 day Party!!! Happy year of the OX. Hope this year bodes well for Discrete OpAmps!!

Makes our 1 day celebration seem like a rip off...in any event I don't think my liver could stand a 18 day party...maybe 25 years ago
biggrin.gif

Head Fi brethren......

I'll try and get the review done as quickly as I can guys but I figure I'll need at least 3-5 days to run the Compass through it's paces and then do various config/rig comparisons....these things take some time. Using the same Ref CD rotation for the duration is a must and I tend to listen to whole CD's rather than single tracks as it allows me to forget about searching for the next song and simply listen for a good 45 minutes straight. In any event I'll be thorough with it and will include lots of pics of the internals and externals (new Cam for XMAS
biggrin.gif
)

I asked Kingwa to have a least 100 hours on mine before shipping ...that way it should be burned in fully after 3 days here running 24/7 with my fav test/cooker disc.

Peete.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #290 of 7,725
Actually, the shipping blackout may turn out to be a blessing, as it would give ample time to Peete, Currawong and maybe others too, to do a thorough review of the Compass, than a hurried one.. which in turn would give folks on the forum enough time to make a sound decision on the Compass, instead of purchasing it at a rush.. thats my opinion..

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #291 of 7,725
Couple of quick questions. How do you use the Line in?

Is that what the Bypass button is for on the front?

What is the delivered price to the US?

How long will the promotional prices be in effect?

Are there pictures which show the jumper positions for changing Sound Character?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #292 of 7,725
Your question 1 is interesting, because in his diagram, there is nothing that says line in, I mean in front there is only USB, Coax and Optical.. I really need to ask Kingwa about that.. As far as I have read, the Bypass switch will completely separate the Dac from amp - maybe thats when the line in comes to play..

Cost I assume the final weight (packed) has not been mentioned, so I guess it should be USD258 + 50 (thats if it below or at 4Kg) if it goes above that, say 4.5Kg, catch around USD5-10.. So max I think it should be between USD308-315 - shipped to USA..

Pictures of jumpers and Compass as such - We are still waiting ..

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #293 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the shipping blackout may turn out to be a blessing, as it would give ample time to Peete, Currawong and maybe others too, to do a thorough review of the Compass, than a hurried one.. which in turn would give folks on the forum enough time to make a sound decision on the Compass, instead of purchasing it at a rush.. thats my opinion..

I agree, if they get theirs before the blackout then the rest of us can see what their impressions are and decide whether we want to make a hurried decision to buy it right after the blackout
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the delivered price to the US?

I could be mistaken but I thought $258 included shipping, but that seems crazy, so I am probably mistaken.

(edit: I am based on the post above... I wasn't sure if the $50 was in addition or not but that makes sense)

Quote:

Are there pictures which show the jumper positions for changing Sound Character?

I'd like to know where those are as well, how easy they are to get to, etc. It has a selectable gain too and I'd like to know the same about the position for those jumpers since they're not connected via a switch (although certainly something modders could change).

Since there's only one RCA (analog) input, I suspect pressing bypass is meant to disable the DAC and receive the analog signal from the RCA input. No selecting needed then since that would be the only function of the bypass switch. Of course, is there a way to shut off the headphone amp section if you're just using the RCA line out from the DAC?

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #296 of 7,725
Its on the Headphone amp circuit diagram and not on the Board (sorry) - hard to make out from that picture - I think he decided to put these jumpers after the initial board was made.. but in any case, I think its going to be as easy as changing opamps, if not easier..

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #297 of 7,725
Next question: Jumpers

Are the jumpers on the DAC board or on the Headamp board?

Will they affect the sound of the Head amp out and the DAC out.

Will they affect the sound of the line in (analog) in Bypass mode?

Can the Line in(analog) signal, go to the DAC out(Analog) jacks?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #298 of 7,725
If you look at the circuit diagrams on his website, it seems all jumpers are there on the Headphone amp board, so I don't think it would effect the DAC or line in - unless you are using the headphones.. thats what I personally think..

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #299 of 7,725
I cant wait to hear word on this DAC. Im currently in the pickle of DAC or Amp since I cant have both so Im leaning toward this and using its amp component until such time as I can afford to build the SOHA II. DIY is no problem for me so it will come down to how this compares to DIY projects. I wont get the money to do either until next week anyway so take your time with those tests =D

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #300 of 7,725
On the website:

" The initial promotional price is fixed at USD250 without shipping charge (this price will be effective several months), which will include one separate OPA (customers can choose MOON or EARTH , since the sound signature of Compass will be "Neutral", SUN may not be a good choice ), the package will also include one power cable, one USB cable, and one optical cable. The shipping charge will vary for different countries. Compass will be available for sale in approximately 30 days."

I'd say that means $258 including shipping since Kingwa says it right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back