The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #2,026 of 7,725
Yehey thanks for posting the completed parts of the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2,028 of 7,725
Peete, thanks for a great review
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you briefly directly compare the DAC section of the FrankenZero and the Compass? How much of a step up is the Compass over the FrankenZero, and in what aspects?

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #2,029 of 7,725
I just managed to breeze through it and I feel I have to read it through a couple of times more to really grasp the enormity of the review, you truly have gone in very deep in this .. its really unfortunate I cant listen to my Compass now and even worse as I cant enjoy the changes as Compass evolves.. but then going through your review I feel I didn't miss out a lot..

I know you didn't add your name to the top of that list, you must be a very humble man, but to all of us, you are right there on the top.. for the efforts, dedication and most of all, you have always been around whenever we needed any help.. If Curra is the Father of this thread, you sure have been the Big Brother !!

Just finished printing and back to my reading...

Thanks Peete.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #2,032 of 7,725
That's a tough call shampoo but I'd have to say it's a big step up in quality and at 450US it's a bloody steal.

Hmm the differences between Frank and the Compass. Let me get back to you on that. My brain is tapped for comments at the present time.

Sandchak and fellow members :

Thanks again for the kind words I really appreciate the support. Can you believe that only represents 50 % of the notes ...the MK III/Adcom Jaycar/Compass comparo is in Part III. As is the FrankenZERO.

Man it's freezing outside....could barely hold onto to the dang oil bottle while pouring it into the er um oil thingie...shivering my ass off while pouring. The guy in the station must have been having a good laugh
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #2,034 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I hate to interrupt this wave of comments re. Peete's review, but what is the opinion on the DAC-19 SE? At 450 USD it fits nicely into my budget.

DAC-19SE is a very good dac, based on what I read in audio-gd chinese forum, it's comparable to the HI-END's level. Recently there's a guy bring along his audio-gd CD7 transport + DAC-19SE (only using the RCA output instead of the current transmission tech.) to a seasoned audiophile house for a comparison with his JAW DROPPING setup: Audiomeca MEPHISTO II.X CDP (USD11k), YBA preamp+MBL9008 poweramp (USD48k), KRELL 5 drivers(15inch bass)floorstander, cables (USD19k).

Guess what! CD7+DAC19SE could reach 80% of the Audiomeca MEPHISTO II.X CDP, this freaking CDP costs USD11K! All the comparison was done with the UBER expensive setup! The audio-gd COMBO just lack slightly in depth and vocal emotion! Mind you, the DAC19SE was only using it's RCA output instead of it's promising Current Transmission Tech
wink.gif

If possible, try to wait for Reference 3 to come out, i think it's same spec as DAC19-SE but coming with the DSP-1, which significantly minimize the digital signal quality difference between hypermart grade DVD player and hi end CD transport, u will just save urself some money cos hi end CD transport aint cheap at all
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #2,035 of 7,725
Shampoo I just looked over the 19SE again to refresh my memory. It uses 2 PCM1704UK chips. Those are the highest grade 1704 and are 40US each from digikey. The DIR7001 an excellent servo DSP. The only one better than it is the Cyclone II chip Kingwa uses in the Ref 1 and Ref 3 and an older Cirrus chip, the CS8614, is said to be slightly better but that's arguable.

I don't think you'll do any better anywhere than 19SE at that price.

I'd go for it...it'll be the heart of a great system to build around for years to come (IMO of course).

Peete.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #2,036 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, take your time Peete! You must be exhausted.

I'm a little confused by the first line in your post... Are you referring to the DAC-19 SE or the Compass?

Yes the 19SE. I'm pretty tired but not too bad considering. Must be on my third or fourth wind by now
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #2,038 of 7,725
Thanks Peete for this great and in depth review! Thank you as well to CW and AG.

Peete that is truly an epic review and after reading it all I think the Compass will be a force to be reckoned with.

As a result I'm thinking of jumping the ZeroDac ship and landing on the Compass.

Thanks again and I look forward to the headphone results : )

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #2,039 of 7,725
A big step over all of them. I haven't had the chance to listen to it but judging by what I see from the internals I'm fairly confident it'll live up to that educated guess.

Peete.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #2,040 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Peete for this great and in depth review! Thank you as well to CW and AG.

Peete that is truly an epic review and after reading it all I think the Compass will be a force to be reckoned with.

As a result I'm thinking of jumping the ZeroDac ship and landing on the Compass.

Thanks again and I look forward to the headphone results : )

Thanks TJ....it's a terrific choice no doubt about that.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back