The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,711 of 7,138
DefQon has it right.
S.E.X. works well with low impedance, as i only use low impedance headphones.

So in general, regardless of which amplifier i use, the LCD-3 should be a noticeably better than the LCD-2 in SQ right? (due to better driver).

They're both 50 ohms, shouldn't be worlds different.

I'm planning to use it with amplifiers around 1-2W of power.

If only i had a GX-mkII 
redface.gif

Tim

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #4,713 of 7,138
From what I know, LCD-3 needs a good source and amp to show its full potential. That's why I'll change my Essence One & LCD-2 combo with a Conductor & LCD-3 one.

As the Momentums are concerned, I think that you will like them unless you mind a bit more bass quantity and a presentation that's not so tight as the LCD-2's.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #4,714 of 7,138
Quote:
Is there a reason why Audeze won't let you have the LCD-3 pads on the LCD-2?

Must be to keep the LCD-3's price tag that high.

From what I know, LCD-3 needs a good source and amp to show its full potential. That's why I'll change my Essence One & LCD-2 combo with a Conductor & LCD-3 one.

As the Momentums are concerned, I think that you will like them unless you mind a bit more bass quantity and a presentation that's not so tight as the LCD-2's.

Okay how about I make this question a little differently.

Let's say someone were to sell you an LCD-2.
But they gave you an insane offer you couldn't refuse, of the LCD-3 only $100 more than the LCD-2 that they were selling.

Knowing your gear would bottleneck with the LCD-3, which was why you were set on buying the LCD-2 in the first place.
Also knowing that you wouldn't change your DAC & AMP, would you have gotten it anyway?

Which gives me the main question, would there be an improvement even if it's not at it's "full potential" or is it's harder to drive factor going to make it the same playing field as the LCD-2?

That's why i was trying to ask lol.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #4,715 of 7,138
Or to give you more reasons to upgrade :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,717 of 7,138
Supposedly LCD3 pads + late rev.1 LCD2's will get you more closer to the sound of the first batch LCD3's sound than an LCD2 rev.2 to the LCD3. But apart from the planar magnetic transducer changes on the LCD3's, the LCD3's are supposedly superior to any of the rev.1/2 pads and a factor to why the LCD3 may sound a bit more refined in all sound aspects compared to the LCD2. Audeze don't want to lose sales/profit so the 3 pads are restricted to 3 owners only and only by email/support request.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #4,718 of 7,138
Quote:
Must be to keep the LCD-3's price tag that high.

Okay how about I make this question a little differently.

Let's say someone were to sell you an LCD-2.
But they gave you an insane offer you couldn't refuse, of the LCD-3 only $100 more than the LCD-2 that they were selling.

Knowing your gear would bottleneck with the LCD-3, which was why you were set on buying the LCD-2 in the first place.
Also knowing that you wouldn't change your DAC & AMP, would you have gotten it anyway?

Which gives me the main question, would there be an improvement even if it's not at it's "full potential" or is it's harder to drive factor going to make it the same playing field as the LCD-2?

That's why i was trying to ask lol.

Just my 2 cents..
If you already like the LCD2 sound why don't you just keep them. And then for the same money you would spend on a second hand LCD3 you could get an HD800 :) This will give you a nice contrast, LCD2- warmth, intimacy, great bass. HD800- soundstage, air, details and great (but more balanced) bass. 

Best of both worlds :D

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #4,719 of 7,138
Quote:
Just my 2 cents..
If you already like the LCD2 sound why don't you just keep them. And then for the same money you would spend on a second hand LCD3 you could get an HD800 :) This will give you a nice contrast, LCD2- warmth, intimacy, great bass. HD800- soundstage, air, details and great (but more balanced) bass. 

Best of both worlds :D

I sold my LCD-2, buying another one from a friend, but he's giving me a deal on his LCD-3 for only $100 more than what's he's selling the LCD-2 for since he has 2 pairs.

After buying it, I will be too broke for a DAC/Amp upgrade, which was what lead me to my initial question.
It is pretty much an offer i cannot resist, but unsure if it will sound any better on the same set-up that i used the LCD-2's on.

I've already had the HE-500 & HD-800 and sold both.
Not a fan of too wide of sound stage and overly veiled music.
The air and detail though however, was stellar!

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,720 of 7,138
Quote:
I sold my LCD-2, buying another one from a friend, but he's giving me a deal on his LCD-3 for only $100 more than what's he's selling the LCD-2 for since he has 2 pairs.

After buying it, I will be too broke for a DAC/Amp upgrade, which was what lead me to my initial question.
It is pretty much an offer i cannot resist, but unsure if it will sound any better on the same set-up that i used the LCD-2's on.

I've already had the HE-500 & HD-800 and sold both.
Not a fan of too wide of sound stage and overly veiled music.
The air and detail though however, was stellar!

ah I see.. 

In that case I would 100% go for the LCD3. Worst case scenario you could sell it on here for more than you paid for it :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back