The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #4,727 of 7,138
They definitely benefit greatly from a brighter amp yes. Pairing any of the LCD's with a warm source/amp is the last thing you'll ever want to do.

Maybe my Quickstep will be a good pairing then. Someone was recommending the Just Audio AHA 120. Has anyone had any experience with this or its little brother the uha 120?

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #4,728 of 7,138
Quote:
I sold my LCD-2, buying another one from a friend, but he's giving me a deal on his LCD-3 for only $100 more than what's he's selling the LCD-2 for since he has 2 pairs.

After buying it, I will be too broke for a DAC/Amp upgrade, which was what lead me to my initial question.
It is pretty much an offer i cannot resist, but unsure if it will sound any better on the same set-up that i used the LCD-2's on.

I've already had the HE-500 & HD-800 and sold both.
Not a fan of too wide of sound stage and overly veiled music.
The air and detail though however, was stellar!

I'd go for the LCD-3 in a heart beat.  You can always save and upgrade for a better amp/DAC later.  That deal is to good to pass up.  That's if the LCD-3s are in good shape.  

By the way.  What headphone had the overly veiled music between the HE-500 and the HD800?
blink.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,729 of 7,138
Quote:

I'd go for the LCD-3 in a heart beat.  You can always save and upgrade for a better amp/DAC later.  That deal is to good to pass up.  That's if the LCD-3s are in good shape.  

By the way.  What headphone had the overly veiled music between the HE-500 and the HD800?
blink.gif

I was thinking that myself... 
size]

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #4,730 of 7,138
It sounded veiled to me (HD-800), must be due to my amplifier.
Just like now, i was't ready to upgrade the system, so i had to let them go.
The comfort, sound stage, air, and detail was what made me heavily reconsider.

I thank everyone for recommending me to grab the deal on the LCD-3's.
That is surely what i will be getting.

My amp is bright, so that should go well with the LCD-3, just like it did for me with the LCD-2.

I liked the LCD-2, hopefully i will love the LCD-3 .
Even without using its full potential, just knowing that it's a end game headphone and has the ability to get even better, my mentality becomes at ease.
Using them with silver cable, so that's quite possibly even a further step at the light (brightness).

The LCD-3 has better coushion right?
Thats mainly whats reeling me in.
It is also in mint condition, has only been used 3-5 times total.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #4,731 of 7,138
Quote:
It sounded veiled to me (HD-800), must be due to my amplifier.
Just like now, i was't ready to upgrade the system, so i had to let them go.
The comfort, sound stage, air, and detail was what made me heavily reconsider.

I thank everyone for recommending me to grab the deal on the LCD-3's.
That is surely what i will be getting.

My amp is bright, so that should go well with the LCD-3, just like it did for me with the LCD-2.

I liked the LCD-2, hopefully i will love the LCD-3 .
Even without using its full potential, just knowing that it's a end game headphone and has the ability to get even better, my mentality becomes at ease.
Using them with silver cable, so that's quite possibly even a further step at the light (brightness).

The LCD-3 has better coushion right?
Thats mainly whats reeling me in.
It is also in mint condition, has only been used 3-5 times total.

Yup definitely the right call. Keep us informed how you find them compared to the LCD2's. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,732 of 7,138
Thanks a lot you guys, will do!

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,734 of 7,138
Quote:
Talking about genre, it's interesting to me that more people don't like classical out of LCDs. I find their natural sound makes them ideal.

Purely instrumental music of almost any kind is the LCD-2's greatest strength because they are so adept at producing the timbre of instruments faithfully.  The way the note decays and interacts with the notes that follows is affected by nearly every headphone that aims specifically to throw a huge soundstage like the HD800 or K701.  It's like there is a gap that is not supposed to be there, which is *not* the air between the notes in the recording.  For anything with voices I personally love this as it lets the vocals breathe and creates a separation between them and the instruments I like very much, but anything instrumental only the LCD-2 is more real sounding IMO.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,735 of 7,138
For classical music you want that extra soundstage headroom because it gives the impressions of good instrument separation. If you have a laid back congested or narrow like soundstage such as the LCD2's certain aspects of the recording can sound mushed up, not coherent and congested. If you are strictly listening to classical music, jazz or some ambient type of music only the HD800's are the end game headphone for that path before going into the stat's arena which also have a similar airy, wide soundstage sound presentation.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4,737 of 7,138
Quote:
For classical music you want that extra soundstage headroom because it gives the impressions of good instrument separation. If you have a laid back congested or narrow like soundstage such as the LCD2's certain aspects of the recording can sound mushed up, not coherent and congested. If you are strictly listening to classical music, jazz or some ambient type of music only the HD800's are the end game headphone for that path before going into the stat's arena which also have a similar airy, wide soundstage sound presentation.

Hardly...I've owned both and side by side both offer great instrumental separation. Yes, the HD800s cast a wider sound stage, but the LCD-2s are top notch cans for sure. And let's remember garbage in = garbage out.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4,740 of 7,138
Darn you Preproman, haha!

I am listening to my new LCD-3's as of the moment, and what i can say, the first improvement i notice was the treble.
It was what i wanted to improve on the LCD-2, and oh boy, this as brought me to nirvana.

Base has a tighter tone extension on it, which is great, i'm a bass freak.
Pretty much everything else is also improved, my god..

I'm listening to it with my heavily modded Essence One.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back