The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2,941 of 7,138
I installed the longer adjustment rods last night. I thought it would just be an improvement in comfort but getting the drivers one notch lower had an amazing impact on the sound. I feel like I'm just now hearing the way they are supposed to sound. An immediately noticeable increase in treble detail and image definition are the main improvements. I think a lot of people who think the LCD-2's are dark are wearing them too high on their ears.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,942 of 7,138
^ Good point. There was discussion in the Grado threads a year or two back about positioning of the drivers/cups for sound.

IIRC there's a note on Meier's website to try to position 'phone drivers slightly forward and slightly low.

My LCDs come low enough but tend to slide back slightly because I wear broad-framed glasses.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,944 of 7,138
I've read in multiple comparisons of the LCD2 with other headphones that the LCD2 doesn't have dynamic range. In other words it plays instruments at the same volume in recording where instruments have varying volumes, say like in orchestral recordings. I'm curious how much of this is true.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #2,945 of 7,138
They're a dream come true for more EDM but if you listen to a lot of Ambient music like I do I picked the HD800 over the LCD 2. The soundstage is too cramped on the LCD 2 for some Ambient stuff that's done well. 

I listen to a lot of BT and going from the LCD 2 to the HD800 was a huge change. YMMV of course but you can't go wrong with the LCD 2 for Electronic music.

Quote:
Could anyone comment on the LCD-2 for electronic music please? Primarily ambient, electronica and house...

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,947 of 7,138
Quote:
I've read in multiple comparisons of the LCD2 with other headphones that the LCD2 doesn't have dynamic range. In other words it plays instruments at the same volume in recording where instruments have varying volumes, say like in orchestral recordings. I'm curious how much of this is true.

I think I know what you mean, but in regards to orchestral recordings it may be more of a soundstage issue rather than dynamics. The LCD2's when amped sufficiently are very dynamic, but also like most planners they a bit mid-centric. This may give the impression of everything being the same volume as they are quite forward sounding because of the concentration on the mids.

Having said that, any headphone that can alter or keep the same volume with instruments from a recording with varying volumes would be... magic?   

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,948 of 7,138

WOOOWW !! I just got my LCD2s, They are truly Gigantic headphones that i thought i can't put them on my head for 2 minutes but once i got used to them in the first 2 hours they're more comfortable than my Denon D5k. as for the sound quality i can't believe my ears ! they're much better than the T1. Who said they're dark laid back sounding headphones ?!! they have a strange sound signature .. sure they're very dark but they're sharp at the same time and have lots of details and the BASS is very tight, it's not boosted like my D5k but it's the tightest bass I've ever heard ! i was afraid that i wouldn't like it since they're neutral headphone like the T1, but wow ... they're very different sounding, and i don't mean to mock the T1, they have their own characters but when you compare it to the LCD-2 they're just flat boring headphones. please note this is just straight from my laptop with no burn-in, i also don't have the m-stage anymore. And here's the frequency response >> i'm too busy to take pictures of these enormous pillows
L3000.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,951 of 7,138
Quote:
I think I know what you mean, but in regards to orchestral recordings it may be more of a soundstage issue rather than dynamics. The LCD2's when amped sufficiently are very dynamic, but also like most planners they a bit mid-centric. This may give the impression of everything being the same volume as they are quite forward sounding because of the concentration on the mids.

Having said that, any headphone that can alter or keep the same volume with instruments from a recording with varying volumes would be... magic?   

I simply used orchestral music as an example because of the variation of instruments used and their varying volume levels. But yeah soundstage would be an issue with that kind of music too, not that it bothers me because that's not my type of music. But thanks for the reply, helps clarify a little.

On another note, there's so much talk about which amps are best for the LCD2 (amp thread), but pretty much no talk on what DAC pairs well with them. Is the source used dependent on what amp  is used? I've pretty much decided to get the LCD2 with the V200 but have no clue what dac pairs with them. Any suggestions?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,953 of 7,138
Does anyone have the LCD2 and the HE400? I'm losing my love for the HE400 after running them side by side with the HD700.  Loving the HD700 mids, nice tight, solid and fast bass (though the HE400 do hit harder). Any comparisons?

Moving up the chain, I'm having a hard time choosing between the LCD2 and HE500.. definitely want the great bass for electronic music and Enigma, with great mids for vocals. I know that I'll get the bass I want form the LCD2 but am a little concerned with reading that vocals are a little distant (from what I recall reading, its like sitting in the 10th row versus the first). Plus I've read that the HE500 have world class, luscious mids. I auditioned the LCD2 rev 1's a few times at the Toronto Head-Fi meet and was pretty impressed and it seems like the Bifrost/Lyr combo was made for them. Haven't heard the rev 2's.

I listen to everything from Eagles, Supertramp, Enigma, newer  Madonna, Dead Can Dance, Dire Straits to Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Adele, plus a lot of retro 80's and 90's retro dance and new wave music.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,954 of 7,138
My LCD-2(rev.2) and Violectric V200 combination is like a chameleon or a camouflaged octopus or squid. It sounds like the way that I have my turntable set up.

The combination CAN sound boring, undynamic, bass light, lacking detail  IF there is something amiss at 'The Source' end of things. Conversely, when I have tweaked things to be 'just-so', the combination sounds astonishingly dynamic, sledgehammer/ no-fat bass, detail I didn't know was there and so good that I'm tempted to forgo sleep in order to continue the listening session.

Once again on this board, I'll say that I'm not stupid enough to say that the combination can't be bettered. What I will say is that my suspicions are that anyone who doesn't like this combination either has an awesome headphone/headphone amp combination which really blows the Audeze/ Violectric combo into the weeds OR they need to look more closely at the component(s) that precede them in the Chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back