The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,836 of 7,138
Yes the do sell them, but you're right they are quite expensive. Im probably better off getting them direct from Audeze. On their site they have the Bamboo and Rosewood options. Are their any differences between the two options other than the wood types..perhaps driver or sound? All this talk about rev1, rev2, rma etc has got me slightly confused. Lastly they offer the headphones with either Lambskin Leather or Leather Free. Which is the better choice? Like softer, more comfortable etc. Im guessing the lambskin is better since that's what the LCD3 uses and receives so much praise for.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,838 of 7,138
Quote:
Yes the do sell them, but you're right they are quite expensive. Im probably better off getting them direct from Audeze. On their site they have the Bamboo and Rosewood options. Are their any differences between the two options other than the wood types..perhaps driver or sound? All this talk about rev1, rev2, rma etc has got me slightly confused. Lastly they offer the headphones with either Lambskin Leather or Leather Free. Which is the better choice? Like softer, more comfortable etc. Im guessing the lambskin is better since that's what the LCD3 uses and receives so much praise for.

Basically the rev2 is the latest spec and this is what you would automatically get from all of the authorised sellers. The Rev 2 apparently has a slighlty lighter sound character but I havent heard the rev1 so can't tell you for sure. Standard is the Lambskin and it is now softer then what it was, I think they are quite comfortable, but it may take you a short while to get used to them especially if you havent tried any plannars before, simply because of the weight. The leather free option is mainly for Vegans I believe. I have the Bamboo type, but it simply comes down to preference but there is a longer wait (2-3 weeks according to the website), for the rosewood. They were always made from rosewood until it became in shorter supply when the company has grown.  The bamboo is more durable and is less likely to crack. Although I have read of one such issue. There's no difference in sound from what I have read, I think the bamboo will be lighter in weight. Plus it matches my furnishings, bonus! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,839 of 7,138
Quote:

I bought mine form the cheapest place I could find, which is here: https://proaudiogear.de/product_info.php?products_id=949

If you pay with bank transfer, its 987 Euro. I couldn't find it cheaper in the EU.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,841 of 7,138
I just got them and while I'm enjoying them a lot as is, I wanted to try an aftermarket cable.
I heard very positive things about the Q cable but wanted some feedback from fellow LCD2 owners.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2,842 of 7,138
It's been discussed a few times and Q just keeps coming up. 

It's definitely my vote. Steve has given (and continues to give me) the best customer service I've ever had. He also offers a ton of color choices and I've yet to use a cable as flexible.

Quote:
I just got them and while I'm enjoying them a lot as is, I wanted to try an aftermarket cable.
I heard very positive things about the Q cable but wanted some feedback from fellow LCD2 owners.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #2,843 of 7,138
Quote:
It's been discussed a few times and Q just keeps coming up. 

It's definitely my vote. Steve has given (and continues to give me) the best customer service I've ever had. He also offers a ton of color choices and I've yet to use a cable as flexible.

This again and again and again..unchanging forever. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #2,844 of 7,138
Got mine from Decent Audio,

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,845 of 7,138
Update: It has now been more than five weeks since Audeze received my cable for replacement. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,846 of 7,138
Quote:
Update: It has now been more than five weeks since Audeze received my cable for replacement. 

They seem to have a lot of problem with RMA and the like.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #2,847 of 7,138
Quote:
The HD800 is an amazing sounding headphone, but with my pretty maxed out Beta22 based system, it's still lacking the ability to move air and provide impact that the LCD2s have.  The sound just seems thin by comparison, stretched out, hollow.  If you had never heard LCD2, you'd think the HD800 was the best ever, and vice versa.  When you switch between them it's a big shock, then you sort of get used to it.  But really, I'd like to hear someone listen to the LCD3, then the HD800, then tell me that the HD800 has enough bass impact.  

To me the LCD-3 sounds like a more laid-back LCD-2 (but not as laid-back as the HD800) but has more upper-mid/treble and refinement to its sound. If you're used to the LCD-2 sound, hearing the LCD-3 for the first time can be a shock because it doesn't hit as hard as the little brother but it does have more balance to its sound. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2,849 of 7,138
Quote:
The HD800 is an amazing sounding headphone, but with my pretty maxed out Beta22 based system, it's still lacking the ability to move air and provide impact that the LCD2s have.  The sound just seems thin by comparison, stretched out, hollow.  If you had never heard LCD2, you'd think the HD800 was the best ever, and vice versa.  When you switch between them it's a big shock, then you sort of get used to it.  But really, I'd like to hear someone listen to the LCD3, then the HD800, then tell me that the HD800 has enough bass impact.  

I agree with this post completely.  I had the HD800 for almost two years and it was the best I'd ever heard even though I always thought it was a little lightweight.  After hearing the LCD2 though, I could never go back.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #2,850 of 7,138
Well after about 5 years of being content with tube rolling an MPX3 slam and using HD600's I thought I would find out what all the fuss was about. Only got them yesterday and they are certainly fun, however having been used to a HD600 for so long I find they are quite different, and seem to be a lot more responsive to the recording quality / mastering than the HD600's.

On some recordings with the LCD-2's, the vocals pop out, on others they seem to sit back from the instrumentation in a way the HD600 doesnt. On the right recordings these things hit you hard but on others that have been stand outs on the HD600 they seem to wallow. 

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has heard these on the MPX3 and perhaps schiit amps as a comparison as I have little to compare to at the moment. Am I hearing the "ortho sound" or is the MPX3 not the best fit for LCD-2's? I'm quite tempted to get a lyr regardless. Any direct experience with both singlepower amps and the lyr would be interesting to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back