The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 29, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #6,946 of 7,138
  I have the same concerns, and more so as aI bought a used pair whose right driver xlr socket is loose (I'll soon fix it). With my LCD2.1, I just return them to their case with cable attached. They've seemed to form a natural bend to the cable and I just let them wrap the same direction each time. I make sure there isn't too much pressure on any of the bends and it seems to fit fine.

Edit: oh, the real reason I put them in the case. Cats. LCDs natural enemy in the wild.

Headstand under some cheap re-purposed dome ?

May 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,947 of 7,138
Hello again to to the community!
The left silver rod that adjusts the cup height is a little loose and I can hear it moving freely when I move my head. I' not talking about the click the rod makes when adjusting the height, that works fine. But after I adjust the rod, I can move it up and down just a little bit to create a sound, it's not totally stable like the right one is.
Anybody else having the same "issue"?
Can I use the silver screw to fix it? I was thinking about screwing it a little to see if this fixes problem but it doesn't seem to move and I'm afraid to apply too much force.
I'm talking about the screws in the photo.

May 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,948 of 7,138
Just recently picked up a LCD-2.  Sounding good so far but I have noticed that they don't sound the best at low level listening.  Probably because of the warmer nature but these require some volume to sound their best.

May 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,949 of 7,138
  Just recently picked up a LCD-2.  Sounding good so far but I have noticed that they don't sound the best at low level listening.  Probably because of the warmer nature but these require some volume to sound their best.

What amp are you using? You might need a beefier amp.

May 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #6,951 of 7,138
The left silver rod that adjusts the cup height is a little loose and I can hear it moving freely when I move my head. I' not talking about the click the rod makes when adjusting the height, that works fine. But after I adjust the rod, I can move it up and down just a little bit to create a sound, it's not totally stable like the right one is.
Can I use the silver screw to fix it? I was thinking about screwing it a little to see if this fixes problem but it doesn't seem to move and I'm afraid to apply too much force.

Yes, those are the screws to tighten down on the rod. Even though they may appear to be tightened all the way, in my experience with two different LCD models, they can be further tightened.

May 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #6,952 of 7,138
  Shouldn't be the amp...I'm using an Oppo HA-1

Is there an impedance switch on your Oppo? You may need to set it to the other setting. Also, there may be a gain setting too.

May 29, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #6,953 of 7,138
No impedance switch but there is a gain setting (Normal and High).  It is on normal gain and gets more than loud enough at 10 o'clock even.  High would be way too much.

As I mentioned, it sounds fine when you turn it up, I just find the LCD-2 doesn't sound the best when listening at low volume.

May 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,954 of 7,138
  No impedance switch but there is a gain setting (Normal and High).  It is on normal gain and gets more than loud enough at 10 o'clock even.  High would be way too much.

As I mentioned, it sounds fine when you turn it up, I just find the LCD-2 doesn't sound the best when listening at low volume.

OK, I'm clear now on your original post. Obviously, your source component can have a dramatic effect on low level listening. But I agree with you that the 2s—2.2s in my case—sound best at higher levels.

May 29, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,955 of 7,138
  Shouldn't be the amp...I'm using an Oppo HA-1

Agreed. Interesting, I always liked them at low volume, but high volume is certainly better.

May 29, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #6,956 of 7,138
Strange - one thing I like about them is they don't lose all their dynamics at lower levels. The Senn HD-650 seems to have a cutoff you need to exceed before they take a breath and sing. With the LCD2.2's the dynamics just seem to slowly fade out linearly across the range. This is on a Bottlehead S.E.X.

May 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,957 of 7,138
I think I'm probably just used to my other headphones that I've spent more time with and are brighter - HE500, Grado, AKG Q701.  Since they are brighter and have more treble energy, I think that is probably what I'm missing at the lower levels with the LCD-2.

Agree on the HD650 too...I find they need some volume to sound their best too.

May 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,958 of 7,138
Exactly same thing happened to me a couple of days ago, LCD 2f left side dead, same way. What's even sadder is that this is the
second driver fail in a row, first went the right and after repairs went the left. Audeze customer service has been great tho.

edit. I meant to quote sludgeogre's post 6943

May 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,959 of 7,138
  Exactly same thing happened to me a couple of days ago, LCD 2f left side dead, same way. What's even sadder is that this is the
second driver fail in a row, first went the right and after repairs went the left. Audeze customer service has been great tho.

Uhy, I can't believe this crap. Sorry for your woes as well. I've been waiting for a reply from Audeze since yesterday. I hope they get back to me soon, I really want this thing fixed. I hope the right one lasts a bit longer.

May 30, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #6,960 of 7,138

That didn't work. It only made the clicks stiffer, but the rod is still loose when normally in place.
Except from that, the seams on the one side of the headband are loose and a thread was sticking out which I had to cut because it looked ugly. You can see from the photos comparing to the other side.

Also, maybe because the pressure is less, the whole leather part of the headband moves on the metal part between, when adjusting the rods, and I have to place it in the middle every time.
All of these problems added to the bent yoke, that makes the headphones not sitting straight and I can't put them on my head.
Also I had to wait for 5 days for a simple e-mail response, only to find out that they shipped the replacement yoke kit yesterday while on their last e-mail they told me that it will be shipped 8 days earlier!
These are problems from a new, out of the box, with zero listening time, pair.
The waiting time from U.S. to Greece will be long of course, so maybe in two months when my pair is perfect I will start using them.
Needless to say that I can not express how disappointed I am, and considering the trouble, the distance and maybe how unlucky I am, I have to say that this was a totally bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back