The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,077 of 7,138
The Schiit Mjolnir is one of the best choices.

Is it quite flat, in terms of frequency response?

If you mean there is no undue emphasis of bass, treble or midrange then, yes, I would definitely say the Mjolnir has a flat frequency response. I believe the result is incredibly "natural" sound from my LCD 2's.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #6,078 of 7,138
I'd say the Mojo is flat sounding with a slight peak emphasis (note keyword very slight) on the treble, this suits and pairs perfectly with the LCD2's treble which is a notch or two down which on some genres/music and to some people's ears can sound shelved and the bass overpowering. 

If you already have balanced source/cables and/or tailoring your setup to be balanced with whatever budget that allows you to, the Mojo is a no questions asked Buy me now sort of amp for these cans. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #6,079 of 7,138
All good amplifiers measure objectively flat and neutral.  Any tonal shifts one my perceive subjectively will be far less greater than the variation found in recorded music.  Are we here to enjoy music or are we here to nitpick?

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #6,082 of 7,138
  I'd say the Mojo is flat sounding with a slight peak emphasis (note keyword very slight) on the treble, this suits and pairs perfectly with the LCD2's treble which is a notch or two down which on some genres/music and to some people's ears can sound shelved and the bass overpowering. 

If you already have balanced source/cables and/or tailoring your setup to be balanced with whatever budget that allows you to, the Mojo is a no questions asked Buy me now sort of amp for these cans. 

Not too long ago, when the HD650 was euphonic and bright cans were neutral according to the 'experts'...I pondered why it is that my subjective experiences were against 'common knowledge'.

Perhaps I have hearing loss in bass and required 'boosted bass' - as a result of me listening to engines day in day out for years.  I believed that must be the case and had no issues with that.  I was just thankful that Senheisser was graceful enough to provide the only headphone that catered for people with hearing loss such as myself with 'boosted' bass so that I can perceive a balanced sound.

If I do have hearing damage I have no issues with that.

But lets flip it the other way around and we suggest that hearing damage is the reason people perceive brighter cans as a balanced sound...then again lets not.

wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #6,083 of 7,138

Which good amplifier does not measure flat - show me.

Which amplifier measures flat in terms of what you're describing using "headphone subjective terms" - show me. Distortion measurement does not equal flat measurement. Amplifiers are not headphones. 

Crap sounding amplifiers can measure good in one sub group of distortion measurement, dynamic range and p2p voltage.

Good sounding amplifiers can measure poorly in one sub group or distortion measurement, dynamic range and p2p voltage.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #6,086 of 7,138
I don't know. I had one for a while and the treble was a little bit too much. That never happens with the Mjolnir.

the treble of the bryston was too much ? hmmmmm, i find it more refined, and sweeter than the mjo, at least with the lcd x, i didn't get to hear the
lcd2 with the bryston

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #6,087 of 7,138
  Which amplifier measures flat in terms of what you're describing using "headphone subjective terms" - show me. Distortion measurement does not equal flat measurement. Amplifiers are not headphones. 

Crap sounding amplifiers can measure good in one sub group of distortion measurement, dynamic range and p2p voltage.

Good sounding amplifiers can measure poorly in one sub group or distortion measurement, dynamic range and p2p voltage.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpsJuly2013.pdf

If I'm not mistaken, all good amplifiers measure flat and neutral.  Or are we going to start nitpicking again?

I'm not going to argue that we perceive a tilt in response...from my experience - any tilit is minor compared to the variations from recording to recording.

Pick any good amp you prefer, and lets not argue that we have magically transformed the frequency response.  I have my preferences - regardless of what people say...it is still going to be an extremely neutral setup.  Fact.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,089 of 7,138
the treble of the bryston was too much ? hmmmmm, i find it more refined, and sweeter than the mjo, at least with the lcd x, i didn't get to hear the
lcd2 with the bryston

It just goes to show that at a certain level of performance, it's each person's perception that becomes the biggest variable.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6,090 of 7,138
It just goes to show that at a certain level of performance, it's each person's perception that becomes the biggest variable.

yes, exactly, and nobody is right or wrong, if we like it, its good !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back