The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #586 of 7,138
Quite good! 

I was thinking about the HEADPHONE SITTING HAZARD!

And yes there is no headphone stand, and seems to be too few cables for all the stuff. 

There is a source, at least a Audio GD -loking thing at the bottom, but what feeds it is a mystery. But there is something behind the chair...

Anyway do not risk sitting on your headphones. I once sat on my Granpa's glasses and have never forgotten what it felt like... 

Quote:
Only a mad man would place the LCD-2 like that. It imposes stress to the HP connections - and a hazrd that some might sit on them.

EDIT: All those fancy components are not hooked-up?

Quote:
No headphone stand? :D
Nice cable! Q or Norse? (or something else?)

Quote:
Hmmm... there's no source equipment?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #587 of 7,138

Quote:
Until you posted that you had a set I thought no one owned them! I have never seen a comparison between the LCD1 and 2 could you give us a brief summation of your thoughts on the two please?

The LCD-1 was a really great bargain at around $400. It came in a large ziplock baggy, and as you can see the OEM frame is a far cry from the built-from-scratch design of the LCD-2 and 3. I love the LCD-1 though. It's monstrously fast. The imagining is terrific, about on par with the LCD-2's. Overall the tonal balance isn't quite the "house sound" that Audez'e is now known for. In other words, it's not as laid back as the LCD-2 rev.1 and the treble is not shelved, so in comparison the LCD-2 seems darker than the LCD-1. The bass is definitely not as robust on the LCD-1 as on the LCD-2, but it's still punchy and less plodding than the LCD-2's. Detail extraction seems very close, with a slight edge going to the LCD-2. I'd say the LCD-2 is also a bit more realistic in how it conveys certain instruments such as piano and drums. Comfort-wise, I definitely prefer the LCD-1 due to its being lighter and easier to adjust. The cable isn't as microphonic as the stock cable that came with my LCD-2 rev. 1, but it's not detachable.

Overall the LCD-1 is an exceptional headphone that manages to perform at maybe 3/4ths of the LCD-2's level and is perhaps more "traditional" in tonal balance than the later Audez'e creations. Not bad at all for a $400 pair of cans.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #588 of 7,138

The LCD-1 was a really great bargain at around $400. It came in a large ziplock baggy, and as you can see the OEM frame is a far cry from the built-from-scratch design of the LCD-2 and 3. I love the LCD-1 though. It's monstrously fast. The imagining is terrific, about on par with the LCD-2's. Overall the tonal balance isn't quite the "house sound" that Audez'e is now known for. In other words, it's not as laid back as the LCD-2 rev.1 and the treble is not shelved, so in comparison the LCD-2 seems darker than the LCD-1. The bass is definitely not as robust on the LCD-1 as on the LCD-2, but it's still punchy and less plodding than the LCD-2's. Detail extraction seems very close, with a slight edge going to the LCD-2. I'd say the LCD-2 is also a bit more realistic in how it conveys certain instruments such as piano and drums. Comfort-wise, I definitely prefer the LCD-1 due to its being lighter and easier to adjust. The cable isn't as microphonic as the stock cable that came with my LCD-2 rev. 1, but it's not detachable.

Overall the LCD-1 is an exceptional headphone that manages to perform at maybe 3/4ths of the LCD-2's level and is perhaps more "traditional" in tonal balance than the later Audez'e creations. Not bad at all for a $400 pair of cans.

Thank you so much for the in-depth thoughts on the two. It sounds a fascinating headphone and makes me wonder if they will bring out something similar again to compete with the new entry level HiFiman!

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #590 of 7,138

My rev. 2s are out for oil maintenance and leather care today (use some hours on this process - like to really soak that wood), so I hooked the rev. 1 onto the Lake People G100. The rev. 1 still shines.

L3000.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #594 of 7,138
Quote:
Just thought I'd pop in to express my growing fondness for the LCD-2 rev. 1. Admittedly, I wasn't always a fan of these headphones. After troubles with the build quality and a persistent feeling that something was "off" due to the shelved treble, I ended up putting them away and moving on to other things.

I still loved my LCD-1 and thought Audez'e was capable of great things, and I considered trying the 2nd revision of the LCD-2, but in the end I decided to take the plunge and try the LCD-3. Not sure what happened, but the experience of the LCD-3 awakened in me a new-found love of the LCD-2. Going back and listening to the middle child all over again, I finally grasped its hitherto illusive appeal.

The LCD-2 rev. 1 is so laid back and pleasant to listen to, so smooth and amiable to just about anything I toss at it. I even find it heretically enjoyable when plugged straight into my MacBook's headphone jack sans amplification. Frustration has been replaced by a certain unease though: since Audez'e moved on to the second revision, I fear that should something happen to them I wouldn't be readily able to replace them. Thankfully there seem to be enough on the sales forum at any given time, but several years from now I wonder how easy it would be....

It's too bad that Audeze wasn't able to continue making them, the rev.1 was a true classic.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #597 of 7,138
Finally got my LCD-2's (Rev 2). At my other halfs so no DAC, but the O2 drives them fairly easily and the Continental without effort as far as volume goes. Initially feels like the Continental is slightly warmer, the O2 ever so slightly grainer, but perhaps a tad crisper, will need further testing.

First impressions are the same as when I first head them, that it doesn't image as well as the T1's, but have more low end. Sub bass wise anyway, not sure about mid bass, need more testing. But doesn't seem quite as open sounding or detailed, but a bit more natural and laid back.

One album (one of the very few I might add) that can sometimes be sibilant with the T1's, Daft Punk - Tron Reconfigured, is much easier on the ears with the LCD-2. Anyway, will do further A/B testing, especially later with the Rein Audio X-Dac and amp of choice.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #599 of 7,138
Nice pictures! And with correct WB. :)

Enjoy your new LCD-2s. Of all those headphones out there - The Audeze has a certain soul and personal touch to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back