The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #616 of 7,138
To me the burn in on the LCD-2s was mostly a mental thing for me in noticing much more things the more I listened and than going back to older headphones and hearing the differences. To me it seemed more like getting your brain used to the headphone compared to the older headphone's sound that had been ingrained in your brain already. Just my opinion!

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #618 of 7,138
It's interesting you mention microdynamics etc, because I agree and disagree at the same time. I basically haven't stopped comparing since I wrote that little titbit earlier (just waiting on my Rein Audio X-DAC and Violectric V200 to arrive now). But it is true, in certain tracks, and with certain sounds (especially with vocals) the LCD-2 can be a tiny bit more revealing. Likewise, with certain sounds, namely instrumentals, the T1 can be more revealing. I think this just has to do with the way the cans image, place the music and the frequencies in play.

For example, because of the T1's (and HD800's) angled driver, the sound you hear is wider and more akin to a real stage performance (you can very easily picture someone playing on stage in a hall in-front of you), comparatively, the LCD-2's sound more traditional in the sense that the sound engulfs you closer, and from all directions, including a heavy emphasis on the rear (which makes sense given the driver is pushing sound directly from the side of your ear). That's why it's a lot harder (imo) to picture stage performances with the LCD-2. Instead it generally sounds like the singer is directly in-front of you, and sounds coming from all directions very close to you.

Because of these dynamics, coupled with the LCD-2's more forward mids (vocals are right up almost in your face, whereas with the T1's they're a bit further back, along with a greater space for all instrumentals), sometimes you can indeed hear more details in the LCD-2. That's not to say they're not there in the T1, just given different emphasis. Likewise, because of the wider, more spacious and pin sharp presentation of the T1's, you can also make out certain instrumentals easier, or sometimes switch between focusing on different sounds easier. Where the LCD-2's lose out on imaging is when there's a lot of sound going on together. That's when the more intimate presentation can clash together just a touch, and where cans like the T1's or HD800's can remain un-cluttered. But naturally, because of the more spacious sound of the T1, sometimes there's less of an up-front emphasis on certain details, but it all depends on the track.

I must say, I'd love for there to be an LCD-2/3 Rev 2/3 with a new cup design with an angled driver instead of the traditional side on one. I feel this would help somewhat with the sound stage and offer a more stage like performance. Though some people will naturally prefer the more intimate, around the head sound.

Quote:
Thanks for the tantalising impressions Naim.F.C - sounds like you and your listening panel did a thorough job.

My impressions are different FWIW. I like the sound of the T1 overall - it has a highly capable, unruffled feel about it - and agree with you concerning its superior sound-staging (note: my LCD2 is rev 1).

However, with my desktop amps - with the exception of the Taboo (new arrival; too early to say) - I simply get more information (texturally and timbrally, and I don't mean just in the bass, and in terms of subtle microdynamics and other subtle detail) from my LCD2 and prefer it 90% of the time. One proviso: I haven't really worked out a satisfactory way to check I've equalise the levels of LCD2 and T1 yet. That aside, the LCD2 sound may simply suit me better.

Looking forward to your desktop impressions in due course.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #619 of 7,138
Nice post. BTW: The driver on the LCD-2 are pretty angled already don't you think

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #620 of 7,138
A small degree definitely (my guess is around 20-30 degree's on the cans, but when worn it seems less as the thicker rear segment of the pads mould behind the head/neck somewhat), perhaps not as much as the other cans mentioned. Since the sound is still very much an 'around the head' sort of signature. Might also be because the cans are so huge! Lol.

Quote:
Nice post. BTW: The driver on the LCD-2 are pretty angled already don't you think

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #621 of 7,138
Quote:
From your post you'd have had them for about 2 days and 12hours ago... wouldn't that be only 60 hrs?  I've had mine since monday and burning them in ever since till this very hour.  Sorry don't mean to be nit picky with this I just am waiting to enjoy everything after they are fully burned in.  

Apparently you aren't being nit-picky enough 
wink.gif
, I believe he just explained that they were used by a previous owner.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #622 of 7,138

Quote:
It's interesting you mention microdynamics etc, because I agree and disagree at the same time. I basically haven't stopped comparing since I wrote that little titbit earlier (just waiting on my Rein Audio X-DAC and Violectric V200 to arrive now). But it is true, in certain tracks, and with certain sounds (especially with vocals) the LCD-2 can be a tiny bit more revealing. Likewise, with certain sounds, namely instrumentals, the T1 can be more revealing. I think this just has to do with the way the cans image, place the music and the frequencies in play.

Which LCD-2 do you have r.1 or r.2?

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #626 of 7,138
Interesting stuff - I think I need to do some more LCD2/T1 comparative listening since, as you know, I don't use the T1 that much 
wink_face.gif

I get most of what you're saying right away though. One possible exception concerns the LCD-2's "more forward mids", especially concerning (what others have described as) intimacy of vocals. I did *not* know what was meant by that until I did a DACs comparison recently, and very much heard this characteristic with one of the three DACs. That suggests the LCD2 is a bit of a chameleon then, or "is transparent (about the rest of the chain)".

However, I don't deny there's an absolute difference here. The T1 certainly seems more distant just as you say. To me, it sounds like it's built for a full orchestra!

And indeed, the T1 might be just as chameleon-like or revealing of upstream equipment. I started to bring it into my DACs comparison but ran out of time well before I could say anything conclusive about their differences.

Quote:

For example, because of the T1's (and HD800's) angled driver, the sound you hear is wider and more akin to a real stage performance (you can very easily picture someone playing on stage in a hall in-front of you), comparatively, the LCD-2's sound more traditional in the sense that the sound engulfs you closer, and from all directions, including a heavy emphasis on the rear (which makes sense given the driver is pushing sound directly from the side of your ear). That's why it's a lot harder (imo) to picture stage performances with the LCD-2. Instead it generally sounds like the singer is directly in-front of you, and sounds coming from all directions very close to you.

Because of these dynamics, coupled with the LCD-2's more forward mids (vocals are right up almost in your face, whereas with the T1's they're a bit further back, along with a greater space for all instrumentals), sometimes you can indeed hear more details in the LCD-2. That's not to say they're not there in the T1, just given different emphasis. Likewise, because of the wider, more spacious and pin sharp presentation of the T1's, you can also make out certain instrumentals easier, or sometimes switch between focusing on different sounds easier. Where the LCD-2's lose out on imaging is when there's a lot of sound going on together. That's when the more intimate presentation can clash together just a touch, and where cans like the T1's or HD800's can remain un-cluttered. But naturally, because of the more spacious sound of the T1, sometimes there's less of an up-front emphasis on certain details, but it all depends on the track.

I must say, I'd love for there to be an LCD-2/3 Rev 2/3 with a new cup design with an angled driver instead of the traditional side on one. I feel this would help somewhat with the sound stage and offer a more stage like performance. Though some people will naturally prefer the more intimate, around the head sound.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #627 of 7,138
Quote:
I agree that the LCD-2 can have a very pronounced mental burn-in period. Their sound is top-notch, but it differs quite a bit from many other headphones in my experience. Especially the "rev. 1." Takes a while to get used to for some people, including myself.

I switch back and forth with my rev.1 and HD800 and for myself the transition to the HD800 is the tougher one. When I first put them on I have to make sure that the right tube(s) are installed and I usually start with jazz/acoustic/chamber music. With the LCD-2 it's like coming back to an old friend that will work with anything even rock/pop right off the bat.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #628 of 7,138

Quote:

If you find Rev 2 engulfs you closer, Rev 1 is even more "intimate". Rev 1 kind of put you on the stage. When I first heard heard the Rev 2, I notice the shift and preferred the more "intimate" sound of Rev 1. Rev 2 can't be "easily appreciated". I finally found a liking for Rev 2 when I heard it with Schiit Lyr and got the pairing. I find Rev 2 more demanding in amp matching unlike Rev 1 which actually sounds wonderful with portable amps. IMHO Rev 2 can sound nice with portable amps but really requires proper amp to hear what it's capable of. The bass on LCD2 Rev 1 and 2 is wonderful, LCD3 takes it to another level. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #629 of 7,138

Quote:
Quote:

I switch back and forth with my rev.1 and HD800 and for myself the transition to the HD800 is the tougher one. When I first put them on I have to make sure that the right tube(s) are installed and I usually start with jazz/acoustic/chamber music. With the LCD-2 it's like coming back to an old friend that will work with anything even rock/pop right off the bat.

Hello there. I have LCD-2s rev.2 running through a LYR and I LOVE the sound, but can't wear them for more than an 30 to 45 minutes due to comfort (heavy). I listen to mostly Jazz instrumentals and vocals, in your opinion are the HD800s a worthy contender based upon this criteria. I hear the HD800s are amongst the most comfortable headphones on the market and sound great. I would like your opinion since you own both phones and listen to jazz/acoustic as well. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #630 of 7,138
Most people get report that they get used to the weight of the LCD-2 after a while. I don't really notice their weight any more. For myself and by consensus the HD800 is much lighter and more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back