The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #4,456 of 7,138
IMHO, the MD doesn't begin to touch the LCD2. A great closed headphone, but no LCD2.

The dimensionality, energy in the bass, and (I can't believe I'm saying this), airiness, just isn't there.

The MD sounds flat next to the LCD2. Flat as in nothing jumps out and grabs the way it does in the LCD2. It has really good mids, forward and natural sounding, but that's as much as I'd give the MD in comparison to the LCD2.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #4,458 of 7,138
Quote:
Since you think the MD's are really close to the LCD 2'S, do you think the LCD 2'S are worth $700 more?

Sorry, but my take on this hobby is we pay for subtlety. So it's up to you to choose whether or not that expense is a value or not.

Personally, I prefer the MD to LCD-2. And I'd say forgo the LCD's and get an HD800 for just a few more bucks through Jan.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #4,459 of 7,138
Sorry, but my take on this hobby is we pay for subtlety. So it's up to you to choose whether or not that expense is a value or not.

Personally, I prefer the MD to LCD-2. And I'd say forgo the LCD's and get an HD800 for just a few more bucks through Jan.

Is the LCD darker than the MD's? How does the bass compare?

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #4,460 of 7,138
Money is hard to get right in terms of sound improvements. Prices skyrocket for a few percentages, and that's not just with the MD and LCD2.

If you can afford both, I easily recommend the LCD2 over the MD any day of the week. If you're strapped for cash, may as well try for the MD, but to say it's comparable... it isn't.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #4,461 of 7,138
Quote:
Is the LCD darker than the MD's? How does the bass compare?

I think the LCD is darker actually. Really no contest the LCD wins out on bass.
The MD has more boomy bass comparatively, where as the LCD's are just quality throughout.

But the MD is just my personal preference and as stated, I'm in the minority.
Then again, I'm not a true bass-head (and if you are the LCDs won't satisfy you) , I suppose. The Mad Dog makes for a more natural listen, personally. However there's no denying the LCD's bring a lot to the table.

And if you can afford both, well, I'd suggest you just spring for the LCD-3 all together.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #4,462 of 7,138
I disagree, I found the Mad Dogs quite a bit darker than both the LCD2s I've owned. It sounded muffled in direct comparison. Not to say it was, but in comparison, yes.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,463 of 7,138
I think the LCD is darker actually. Really no contest the LCD wins out on bass.
The MD has more boomy bass comparatively, where as the LCD's are just quality throughout.

But the MD is just my personal preference and as stated, I'm in the minority.
Then again, I'm not a true bass-head (and if you are the LCDs won't satisfy you) , I suppose. The Mad Dog makes for a more natural listen, personally. However there's no denying the LCD's bring a lot to the table.

And if you can afford both, well, I'd suggest you just spring for the LCD-3 all together.

Hmm..Interesting. I really like the MD's bass but I'm really curious about the LCD 2's.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4,464 of 7,138
Quote:
Hmm..Interesting. I really like the MD's bass but I'm really curious about the LCD 2's.

If you only care about bass, then go for it. I've really only found the LCD-3 and HD800 to have superior bass with the HE-6 on par comparatively to the LCD-2.

And buy from Justin as his prices haven't gone up. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,465 of 7,138
Considering how much I disliked the Mad Dogs I'd say the LCD 2s are worth $1145 than the Mad Dogs. :D

In all seriousness though I don't even think it's a contest.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,466 of 7,138
Quote:
The Mad Dogs are neutral oriented. The LCD2's are not. 

Not entirely accurate. Dog Padded were darker and with Alpha Pads they are almost identical in tonality. Purple is LCD-2, red is Mad Dog.
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/02/old-dog-new-pads-review.html

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,467 of 7,138
If you only care about bass, then go for it. I've really only found the LCD-3 and HD800 to have superior bass with the HE-6 on par comparatively to the LCD-2.

And buy from Justin as his prices haven't gone up. 
biggrin.gif

What's the bass impact like? I like drums to have a lot of weight and presence.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #4,468 of 7,138
You can't get better than LCD-2 & LCD-3 when bass in concerned. The impact, the texture, everything is awesome :)

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4,469 of 7,138
You can't get better than LCD-2 & LCD-3 when bass in concerned. The impact, the texture, everything is awesome :)

Sounds good. I just don't want to be disappointed as I have with several other headphones. I'm coming fron the HE 500's and I find them too relaxed and not engaging/lively enough.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4,470 of 7,138
Quote:
Sounds good. I just don't want to be disappointed as I have with several other headphones. I'm coming fron the HE 500's and I find them too relaxed and not engaging/lively enough.

The LCD-2 will be a lot more engaging. Although part of the charm of the HE-500 is that it's so calm. Nothing seems to color their sound. They don't bring any artifical energy if it's not in the music and abosolutely nothing sounds offensive on them, but this can be seen as "boring". If you're looking for more excitement LCD-2 will blow your mind.
biggrin.gif
 "Dat Bass" is what you'll say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back