The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #4,486 of 7,138
Because some people rather squeeze and experiment by using the least amount of money involved (or none at all) possible rather than buying something completely new that could cost heaps heaps more. I for one am of these people. Sort of like overclocking your computer, why pay more when you can get to the same performance for $0?

Fair enough but to me the bass is their defining characteristic. If you try to control or reduce it then you've lost the point in my opinion.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,487 of 7,138
The bass from the D5k is not controlled, not tight it is just bloated and all over the place. By using mods we can rectify the woolly performance of the bass and reduce the amount to be tight and punchy when required. This brings out the treble and highs a bit more as it recessed due to the dominant bass presence. By applying mods we want to use what is provided and make it better. I don't know anyone who would want to mod there headphone and reduce the bass and lows to nothing, that would not be a good listening experience whatsoever.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,488 of 7,138
Quote:
 I don't know anyone who would want to mod there headphone and reduce the bass and lows to nothing, that would not be a good listening experience whatsoever.

That's the Paradox! 
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #4,489 of 7,138
Well judging from the Paradox's FR, they are fairly neutral no bass emphasis whatsoever. I meant something like somebody modding a D5k reducing the bass to that of the AD700's which have no bass.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,490 of 7,138
Quote:
Well judging from the Paradox's FR, they are fairly neutral no bass emphasis whatsoever. I meant something like somebody modding a D5k reducing the bass to that of the AD700's which have no bass. IMO

biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #4,491 of 7,138
Quote:
The bass from the D5k is not controlled, not tight it is just bloated and all over the place. By using mods we can rectify the woolly performance of the bass and reduce the amount to be tight and punchy when required. This brings out the treble and highs a bit more as it recessed due to the dominant bass presence. By applying mods we want to use what is provided and make it better. I don't know anyone who would want to mod there headphone and reduce the bass and lows to nothing, that would not be a good listening experience whatsoever.

I agree completely, to me listening to phones with bass loose like that is like walking with untied shoelaces.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,492 of 7,138
Quote:

You cheeky devil. 
size]

Quote:
I agree completely, to me listening to phones with bass loose like that is like walking with untied shoelaces.

Yep, it's all over the place. It also muddles things up a bit, losing clarity of instrument separation and imaging because all you hear is woooshhhhh all over the place once that low-end drops in. I've seen a few extreme mods that few users have applied to fix the problem and bring the treble out is by cutting a circular hole in the wooden housing making it open back. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #4,493 of 7,138
This went from the LCD2 thread to the 'let's bash everything else thread'.

Apparently comparing an obviously bass heavy headphone to an headphone tweaked for a linear response is the in thing right now.

Ok.

What's next, comparing the XB700 to the Stax? They don't cater to the same genres and people at
all.

The D7000 is my fave headphone, period. It's much more fun and a little more engaging than the LCD2. However, they aren't anywhere near similar in what they do, and as such, aren't comparable.

Why anyone would seriously compare the HD800 to the LCD2 is beyond me. They are way too different. But ok. Cntinue with the bashing.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,495 of 7,138
Once upon a time I had all at the same time:

LCD-2.2
Mad Dogs (Dog Pads)
Thunderpants
Paradox
BMF
D7000

I did a small write up for the Thunderpants, Paradox, Mad Dogs, and the BMF's.  What I found out was the Thunderpants had more bass than any of the T50RPs.  The Paradox was the most neutral with the BMF's write on it's tail.  The Mad Dogs was the most fun, engaging had more PRaT than any of the T50RPs.  The most enjoyable one to me was the Mad dogs hands down.

The Thunderpants just didn't do anything right except bass quantity.  The Paradox was just to flat IMO it will give you some bass "if" it's in the track real heavy.  It will give you a treble spike "if" it's in the track.  Otherwise I just wasn't engaged.  The BMF's was to bass light for me.  Everything else about the BMF's was good.  I then sold them all except the Mad Dogs (Dog Pads)

Now LCD-2, MDs, and D7000.  IMO the D7000 is very engaging if you're not looking for accuracy and technicalities.  The LCD-2.2 was great with bass and mids.  The lack of Sound Stage the lack of detail retrieval and the lack of air around the instruments turned me off.  Gladly the LCD-3 fixed that to some extent.  I still have the D7000.  I'm in the process of getting a second pair of Mad Dogs after I sold the first.  This time I'm getting them trick out.  I think Para or myself was the first ones to get them hardwired to balanced XLR.  For me it took them to a level up.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,496 of 7,138
This went from the LCD2 thread to the 'let's bash everything else thread'.

Apparently comparing an obviously bass heavy headphone to an headphone tweaked for a linear response is the in thing right now.

Ok.

What's next, comparing the XB700 to the Stax? They don't cater to the same genres and people at
all.

The D7000 is my fave headphone, period. It's much more fun and a little more engaging than the LCD2. However, they aren't anywhere near similar in what they do, and as such, aren't comparable.

Why anyone would seriously compare the HD800 to the LCD2 is beyond me. They are way too different. But ok. Cntinue with the bashing.

They aren't that different in purpose. Both are supposedly intended to be 'flat'.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #4,497 of 7,138
Had the D5000 (sold) and have a D7000 with the MarkL mods...certainly livelier than the LCD2's.  I wont argue accuracy or the like, but different flavors for different days.  I'd much rather listen to some stuff with the D7000. 

Between the T1 and the D7000's, my LCD2's are kind of in a no mans land currently.  I'm sure I'll rotate them back in eventually.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,498 of 7,138
Hello :)

I just got my LCD-2 rev 2 yesterday and I just have to say I love it so far.  This is my first high-end headphones and I am really thrilled.  I originally planned on getting the HE-500 but found a good deal where I am from which is pretty much the same prices online, which is believe me a good deal considering the taxes they usually impose for these kinds of items.

Anyway, my current setup is ipod touch 5th -> clas -> the continental v3 -> lcd 2.2 and like I said I love it so far.  Thanks and more power to head-fi for helping me decide on what to buy as it is really hard to audition these items here before buying.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,499 of 7,138
They aren't that different in purpose. Both are supposedly intended to be 'flat'.

There is nothing flat about the Fostex Denons. They have always had big bass, but with refinement over standard bassy cans.

Even the Fostex TH900 shows this. It was designed to be anything but flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back