The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #1,759 of 7,138
Will be brief.
Just got my LCD-2 Bamboo in. After hearing a few pair of LCD-3's and knowing of
the current issues with them. I decided to hold off and purchase another pair of LCD Rev 2's.
I've had some persistent wood cracking issues as many others have had with the previous
Rosewood Rev 2's. The Bamboo is nice but still I prefer the Rosewood, mine seem to be a darker tone than I've seen. Ear pads are much
more comfortable and of course the angled connectors are a welcomed addition. Hoping this will
resolve the cracking issues that have been so prevalent. 

May 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,760 of 7,138
Lets be fair here.  Cracking has been rare, not widespread.  Yet when it does happen to someone they tend to continue to get cracked ones.  But we all swear up and down its the wood and not the environment.

May 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,761 of 7,138
Well, to me it has seemed prevalent. But that's fair. I've had 3 cracked pair (unlucky?) I also live in a cold climate if that's what you ment by environment. 
Or maybe I just keep dropping 'em. 

May 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,763 of 7,138
Mine do at least. I even have to say the pads on my Bamboo LCD-2's are more comfortable than my vegan pads.

May 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,765 of 7,138
From the comments of the past few weeks, am I right in assuming that the new bamboo LCD2s have a softer earpad than the LCD2r2 ?

Nopenopenope. I have a pair of both. They're exactly the same?

Kojaku

May 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #1,766 of 7,138
Quote:
Well, to me it has seemed prevalent. But that's fair. I've had 3 cracked pair (unlucky?) I also live in a cold climate if that's what you ment by environment. 
Or maybe I just keep dropping 'em. 

Not sure how good my knowledge of American geography is but New Mexico is pretty dry climate right?  If California is more humid then the timber body will inevitably contract if they are sent to a very dry climate, while the driver cage and grille will are made from metal, which expands and contracts depending on the temperature not humidity, so temperature is probably often pretty warm depending if you heat your house or not.

May 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,768 of 7,138
Quote:

Not sure how good my knowledge of American geography is but New Mexico is pretty dry climate right?  If California is more humid then the timber body will inevitably contract if they are sent to a very dry climate, while the driver cage and grille will are made from metal, which expands and contracts depending on the temperature not humidity, so temperature is probably often pretty warm depending if you heat your house or not.

It's not humid at all, so yes, you're correct. And I actually get my LCD's from Montana. (They do originate from California, duh!) But I get your point. Well, I enjoy the cold, it's no warmer than any average home. I'd doubt that being the reason. Maybe we need another thread all about the discussions
of wood issues. 
rolleyes.gif

May 22, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #1,769 of 7,138
New Mexico is a desert climate.  Wood will loose its humidity and shrink.  Anyone up north knows the shrink cycle of hard wood as we go from humid summer to dry winter.  If not kept above 40% relative humidity the wood will shrink and since in this case its not free standing but bolted and drilled... it cracks.  Expect the process to be accelerated if you have AC and no humidifier system.

May 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,770 of 7,138
Some out of the box "Rev.3" impressions:

- Atleast as comfortable as HE-500, maybe even better since it's really circumaural (HE-500 pads were 0,5cm too small for me, earlobe touched pad). Feels very light and fragile even. 
wink.gif

- I think it's missing the HE-500 bass slam, but maybe I'll get over it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back