The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #1,726 of 7,138
Quote:
Have you compared the fit to regular lcd-2?  That was one of the biggest detractors for me of the lcd-x design is the lack of comfort and heavy clamp of leather headband-- I'm betting the vegan version solves a lot of this!!

I didn't compare, but there is a bit of a hard clamp, it is getting better as i put the phones between books at night (about x1.5 of my head size). and probably as time passing by, my head is also getting used to it. it's been a week since i got them, and it getting better and better
gs1000.gif

May 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,727 of 7,138
I'm glad because this discussion has cleared up a few things for me.

I bought my LCD-2 s directly from Audez'e just at the time that they were introducing the rev 2. I only became aware of the revision via HeadFi.org after I had received my LCD-2s and was never certain which version I had received.

I am convinced by the photos that I got a pair of rev 2s. Like I said above, I ordered my pair at the very time that Audez'e were releasing the rev2 without any knowledge that there was to be a revision.

I love the sound of my LCD-2s no matter what version they are and would recommend them to anyone looking for a headphone at the same price range.

Edit: I checked my invoice from Audez'e, and the order date for my pair of LCD-2s was 17th June 2011. I probably got one of the first pairs of LCD-2(rev2) ever shipped.

Just coincidental.

May 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,728 of 7,138
Quote:
Have you compared the fit to regular lcd-2?  That was one of the biggest detractors for me of the lcd-x design is the lack of comfort and heavy clamp of leather headband-- I'm betting the vegan version solves a lot of this!!

I asked about it the pads with Audeze. And the answer i got is that the vegan pads has the same foam density as the regular leather pads, but the suede is softer so might feel better.

On the other hand the LCD3 uses a softer leather , and the foam is a different kind of foam that is similar to memory foam which is much softer and gives that "suction" effect. And only LCD3 owners can purchase LCD3 pads and headband due to company policy. 

May 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,729 of 7,138
Quote:
I asked about it the pads with Audeze. And the answer i got is that the vegan pads has the same foam density as the regular leather pads, but the suede is softer so might feel better.

On the other hand the LCD3 uses a softer leather , and the foam is a different kind of foam that is similar to memory foam which is much softer and gives that "suction" effect. And only LCD3 owners can purchase LCD3 pads and headband due to company policy. 

What's the reasoning behind that policy?

May 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,730 of 7,138
Quote:

What's the reasoning behind that policy?

They don't approve the sound of the LCD2 with those pads it seems. I inquired them about selling a LCD2 with them because the clamping is just too much for me with the normal ones and they declined stating it would affect negatively the sound.

I have my doubts, maybe it would bring the sound too near to the lcd3? dunno.

May 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,731 of 7,138
Quote:
I have my doubts, maybe it would bring the sound too near to the lcd3? dunno.

Ding ding ding!  If you go back to the Rev1, when it had Rev1 drivers but Rev2 pads the frequency response was that of a Rev2 driver model.

May 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,732 of 7,138
That is interesting.
I have a late issue rev1 with latest rev2 pads (my rev1 pads were replaced because they were uneven).
I am fairly positive that the newer LCD-2 pads changed the sound. the highs became more pronounced and the bass tightened up. However, my experience (rolled pads on HE-6, D7000, and T50rp's to fine tune the sound) is that changing pads on any headphone changes the sound significantly and not always for the better.
Now I really want to try the LCD-3 pads.
Hook me up Alex.
Quote:

Ding ding ding!  If you go back to the Rev1, when it had Rev1 drivers but Rev2 pads the frequency response was that of a Rev2 driver model.

May 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,733 of 7,138

That's what I have as well, but that's the same as saying that rev1 drivers + rev2 pads = rev2 drivers + rev2 pads. They are different drivers, so perhaps FR doesn't tell the whole story.

May 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,735 of 7,138
May 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,736 of 7,138
So, can we deem that LCD2r2 driver + LCD3 pads = LCD3 headphone?

May 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,738 of 7,138
May 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,739 of 7,138
Quote:
Then the rev1 driver is real close to the rev2 driver.

True.  But then what was changed in the LCD-3 driver?  Traces, material, magnet structure?  Its not like a dynamic driver, the planar driver is a flat film.  Anyone have both a Rev2 and LCD-3 to take pictures of the 'driver'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back