The ATH-CKS77.
May 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #857 of 1,518
Got mine today. Though I was one of the earlier ones that ordered so I got what I ordered even though I got the email. Positives --  A nice little shipping box instead of an envelope or bubble mailer with a nice bubble wrap cushion around them. Legit AT cable and sound. Only blemish is a 1mm scratch on the red paint on the right earphone stem. Something you have to look for to even notice.

May 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #858 of 1,518
Quote:
Got mine today. Though I was one of the earlier ones that ordered so I got what I ordered even though I got the email. Positives --  A nice little shipping box instead of an envelope or bubble mailer with a nice bubble wrap cushion around them. Legit AT cable and sound. Only blemish is a 1mm scratch on the red paint on the right earphone stem. Something you have to look for to even notice.

That's great news.

I am waiting for it Jant. Too bassy? Lol. I am sure you will let us know what you think. I look forward to it.

May 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #859 of 1,518
I've been burning mine in for a few days now, and I really notice the mids calm down, and become more even with the rest of the signature sound.  The bass is still there, to be sure, but it's just what I love.  These are great IEM's.  I'm currently using a set of Tx400 comply tips, they fit up to the first position, and I have the Tx500's on order.  But this combination of comply's and the CKS77 gets my mojo workin'!  Loving the bass, it's like having a set of M50's on my head, without the weight and sweaty ears.  Best IEM purchase I've made in a while, definitly not looking to change these out any time soon.

I have read about the filter mod, and I'm wondering, if I like the sound as it is, should I even consider the mod?  Or maybe if I get tired of the sound after a while, consider doing it then?  I am loving the way they sound right now though, so I'm curious.

May 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #860 of 1,518
Quote:
I've been burning mine in for a few days now, and I really notice the mids calm down, and become more even with the rest of the signature sound.  The bass is still there, to be sure, but it's just what I love.  These are great IEM's.  I'm currently using a set of Tx400 comply tips, they fit up to the first position, and I have the Tx500's on order.  But this combination of comply's and the CKS77 gets my mojo workin'!  Loving the bass, it's like having a set of M50's on my head, without the weight and sweaty ears.  Best IEM purchase I've made in a while, definitly not looking to change these out any time soon.

I have read about the filter mod, and I'm wondering, if I like the sound as it is, should I even consider the mod?  Or maybe if I get tired of the sound after a while, consider doing it then?  I am loving the way they sound right now though, so I'm curious.

I am a fan of the sound I say keep the filter in for you. Somehow I like just how it sounds.. I was thinking about a cleaner version of that sounds and in this case. I don't know if that equals what THIS sounds like. You know what I mean?  That was the reason why I told everyone to try it out on the stock sound first. The filter magnifies the sound so with out it the sound I am guessing will be a bit dryer flatter less colored basically.. SO that will be up to you.

May 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #861 of 1,518
I've burned in my filter-modded CKS77(-B) for well over a hundred hours.  Bass has tightened up (not drastically, but noticeably).  It still hits hard & goes pretty deep.. pretty effortlessly.  I'd put the speed of the bass on par with some of the batter bass-oriented, dynamic driver IEMs in the CKS77's price range.

Midbass still has ample presence is still fairly forward, but replacing the filter seems to have narrowed the 'Q' on the midbass frequencies.. so the midrange has clarity.  I feel imaging is definitely better w/o the stock filter, too.. the stock filter seemed to 'muffle' midrange & treble & blur the spatial aspects of sounds.  In my initial review of the (unmodified) CKS77, I mentioned that the midrange, while positioned a few steps behind the bass, imaged vocals properly (placing them slightly forward of the surrounding instruments).  The CKS77-B brings this into focus.  The midrange possesses an excellent balance of a dry & lush tone.  Gotta say, the midrange alone has me looking more into the AT house sound.  It's smooth, but impressively clear for a sub-$100 phone.  Treble also has a very nice smooth, airy feel to it.

A quick comparison to the FXT90 (I'll be limited in my thoughts as it is from memory).. the FXT is crisper and more aggressive from a general perspective.

-The FXT had less midbass presence vs the CKS77-B..but the CKS77-B's bass hits harder, extends lower, and sounds even more fleshed out.  -The FXT's midrange has better clarity and separation from the midbass frequencies (vs. the same comparison on the CKS77-B).
-The FXT's treble is more forward.. relative to it's presentation of mids & bass (vs. the same comparison on the CKS77-B).  The CKS77-B's treble favors a more smooth, airy texture while the FXT's bass is smooth, and quite crisp (resulting in sibilance for some).
-The FXT & CKS77-B are nearly on par in terms of soundstage depth & dynamic range.. but the CKS77-B is certainly wider.

Overall, the CKS77-B would be an excellent choice for those who like the CKS77.. but desire to tone the midbass down, reveal better midrange clarity & tonal balance, and get a little more treble presence/air.  Its signature is quite likable and devoid of nearly any kind of fatigue (except of course, from bass if you're sensitive to lower frequencies).  It's impressively spacious, immersive, & smooth sounding (reminding me of my Silver Bullet in many ways).  At the price point, it's most definitely of one of the great buys for those looking for a bassy phone with more balance than the stock CKS77.

On a related note.. I'll be putting my CKS77-B up for sale in the next day or two.  I thought I'd give the readers of this thread a little heads up first since you'll be more familiar with my modified version than someone who run across it in the classified first.  I bought them out of curiosity more than need.. and they definitely meet expectations.  At the same time, I'm trying to keep my collection of phones at a minimum & would like to offset the costs for another custom/reshell I'm eyeing.  $60 shipped worldwide.. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks again to Dsnuts for bringing a very viable, competent bass-oriented budget titan to our attention.  At <$100, it's quite hard to fault considering the sound it goes for.  It's impressively cohesive and my interest in the AT house sound has definitely been piqued.

May 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #862 of 1,518
Excellent comparo my friend. And your knowledge of the FXT90 sound vs these I am sure many a guys was looking for.

Somehow I think your pair will have no issues being sold. Lol!. AT sound is one that cannot be overlooked by any serious audio nut. These guys bring the goods out of left field. I have huge props for FlySweep. I appreciate you trusting my enthusiasm to give some insight to the fellas..

May 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #863 of 1,518
Quote:

Hey dude, what day did you order? Just wondering as it would give me an estimate of when mine MIGHT arrive :)
thanks

May 4, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #864 of 1,518
Got mine 2 days ago and had been burning them non-stop ever since. 

Unfortunately, I find that this sound is not suitable for me. There is too much bass for my liking which seems to drown the detail from the other frequencies, at least with quite a few of my faster metal tracks. However, on slower songs like Burden by Opeth, they sound amazing with good impact and clear mids and highs.

I plan on buying my first pair of cans after this, so I will be selling my red-black CKS77 from AJ for $70 incl shipping to fund them.

May 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #865 of 1,518
I'd be curious to read a a comparison between the CKS77 and the Fischer Audio Eterna.. I sense they would be very close in terms of sound & technicalities.  I'm (freakishly) familiar with the FA house sound (see my profile for all the stuff I own(ed) from them) & while I haven't ever heard the Eterna, I would think the their midrange might be a little more dry and forward.. but other than that, these could be quite similar.

May 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #867 of 1,518
Quote:
Hey dude, what day did you order? Just wondering as it would give me an estimate of when mine MIGHT arrive :)
thanks

My purchase date was 4/20. Which was not bad since that was Fri. afternoon/night here so they didn't go out till Monday at least. 8 business days wasn't bad for the free shipping.

Have to say the CKS77 sound very much like the old Maxell flagship CN40. A bit more bass/midbass on the AT and a bit more clarity on the Maxell. Though more burn in is in order on the AT. The Maxell is vented in the front Beta Brainwavz/Sony EX90 style and the CKS is closed but for the one small vent hole so it should certainly show more bass.

Answering Dsnuts question before, I don't think they are that bassy. They did have a bit of extra midbass that was improved going to the right tips. I see more what the Z02 owners are saying that still add some contour(having owned the Z02 previously) with the CKS77. Real bassy headphones have me EQ down the extra bass. The CKS77 are fine with the right tips. Pretty much what I thought the AT Solid Bass would have in the higher range 7X and 9X series. My modded ASG-1 has tighter and more authority to the bass notes. The 77LTD sounds a bit softer and has less feel/impact. The ASG-1 sounds more like a headphone though and is quite special in that way. The ASG and the Sony HPM-78 go quite low so the CKS are not quite the kings of sub-bass but belong with the other kings of sub-bass not having set themselves apart as of yet. Now you can understand why I said in the past and coming from my experience that the SHE3580 really doesn't quite do sub-bass:) but falls short. The GR07 recently tried to run with this bunch but couldn't keep up in bass quality(mainly vs. ASG-1)/quantity and low reach.

I am happy with the CKS77LTD so far. It fits in with my stable of big sounding, deep staged, low reaching, textured, open sounding with quality weighty vocals bunch. They also bring the fun and engaging factor and some technical ability. I really like the extension(77LTD is a short cord) since the HPM78 and CN40 are also short cords and my Maximo extension cable is a bit kinky being fabric covered so it is a nice improvement. The LTD is certainly a nice looking earphone as well and quite handsome in the red.

May 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #868 of 1,518
Quote:

My purchase date was 4/20. Which was not bad since that was Fri. afternoon/night here so they didn't go out till Monday at least. 8 business days wasn't bad for the free shipping.

Have to say the CKS77 sound very much like the old Maxell flagship CN40. A bit more bass/midbass on the AT and a bit more clarity on the Maxell. Though more burn in is in order on the AT. The Maxell is vented in the front Beta Brainwavz/Sony EX90 style and the CKS is closed but for the one small vent hole so it should certainly show more bass.

Answering Dsnuts question before, I don't think they are that bassy. They did have a bit of extra midbass that was improved going to the right tips. I see more what the Z02 owners are saying that still add some contour(having owned the Z02 previously) with the CKS77. Real bassy headphones have me EQ down the extra bass. The CKS77 are fine with the right tips. Pretty much what I thought the AT Solid Bass would have in the higher range 7X and 9X series. My modded ASG-1 has tighter and more authority to the bass notes. The 77LTD sounds a bit softer and has less feel/impact. The ASG-1 sounds more like a headphone though and is quite special in that way. The ASG and the Sony HPM-78 go quite low so the CKS are not quite the kings of sub-bass but belong with the other kings of sub-bass not having set themselves apart as of yet. Now you can understand why I said in the past and coming from my experience that the SHE3580 really doesn't quite do sub-bass:) but falls short. The GR07 recently tried to run with this bunch but couldn't keep up in bass quality(mainly vs. ASG-1)/quantity and low reach.

I am happy with the CKS77LTD so far. It fits in with my stable of big sounding, deep staged, low reaching, textured, open sounding with quality weighty vocals bunch. They also bring the fun and engaging factor and some technical ability. I really like the extension(77LTD is a short cord) since the HPM78 and CN40 are also short cords and my Maximo extension cable is a bit kinky being fabric covered so it is a nice improvement. The LTD is certainly a nice looking earphone as well and quite handsome in the red.

Yeh with the ZO2 a few more bass contours and these really shine...depth is just crazy, literally like having a high quality subwoofer in the mix that doesnt overpower at all...just adds a better dynamic so the sound haha

Im absolutly delighted with this pairing...plus the Sony Z of course!

Oh and what tips improved the mid bass...and by this do you mean reduce?

How comes you dont own a ZO any more...do you use any other amp? I cant imagine how the ASG-1 sounds if its even more like a headphone 
eek.gif

May 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #869 of 1,518
Ya I can't wait to get my red ones myself..Glad to see your taking a liking to them. I didn't really think the bass is overwhelming on these either..I do like the presentation as it gives some weight to music and sound full and rich..I think these have a sound that is best put by Zman2K2.  Exciting.. Lol. I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back