The ATH-CKS77.
May 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #871 of 1,518
A/b the cks vs fx 700

Fx 700 has better textured bass with more separation of instruments and wider soundstage. The bass is not as hard hitting as the cks77 but is all there.

The cks77 hit hard and make you feel it more but the highs are subdued secondary to the bass and some details get lost.

I still enjoy the cks as I would rather loose it or break it before my fx 700's.

May 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #872 of 1,518
Quote:
A/b the cks vs fx 700
Fx 700 has better textured bass with more separation of instruments and wider soundstage. The bass is not as hard hitting as the cks77 but is all there.
The cks77 hit hard and make you feel it more but the highs are subdued secondary to the bass and some details get lost.
I still enjoy the cks as I would rather loose it or break it before my fx 700's.

I was thinking for you. Have you tried The CKS77-B mod or taking filter out for you.? I think will liven the highs a bit more so. Get it a similar sound and I think if you use the 1st postition farthest out it will sound tune I think maybe closer to the FX700.  So to me taking out the filter might get you somewhat closer to that sound. I am thinking. I am gonna have to take out the filter on my Red CKS77. Will report back with no filtered sound.

First I have to see how close if not exact the sound is from these to my original pair.

May 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #873 of 1,518
I did the mod and it seems fully reversible. I was just going to open up a center hole at first to let a bit more treble out before taking them out totally. Buuuttt, they are just wedged in on a little ledge so they pop out when I attempted to poke them. Mine need more burn in but the it did sound like the filters slow the air movement/sound waves to increase the decay and hold the bass notes longer. For me, it made them a smidge slow compared to my other phones. Enough where I said maybe I can free this thing up a bit. It does the trick. Picks up the pace a slight bit and gives the sound a little more lively and airy feel like the driver is freed up to be more efficient and effortless. No reason with tweezers, a pin, and a steady hand that the filters shouldn't be able to go right back in if you so choose.

May 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #874 of 1,518
Are these the same size tips as the ASG-1's.  Is it the comply 400 or 500's.  Ive seen some post sony hybrids work, so meelec bi-flanges should fit also.  Couldnt find them on comply site, but the ck70 is 400 so are these the same also?

May 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #877 of 1,518
Quote:
Hi
I'm considering this iem but I have some little ears and I don't like iems that protube too much! Are they that big because they seem to be giant and are they comfortable?
Ty

I too have small ears but they fit great for me...they dont insert deep into your ear at all if thas what "protube" means or did you mean protude?...anyway they are the most comfortable earphones i have used, and my ears arent large at all!, I use medium tips BTW 

I was worried about the same thing, but once in your ears they arent as big as i thought, and they dont stick out that far, there level with the outer most part of my ear, so you dont look stupid wearing them either! 

May 8, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #880 of 1,518
Well, I got the CKS77 from the ebay seller today.

I initially ordered the CKS77S LTD but like most people here, I received the email about the mixup in the shipping.

I ended up actually receiving the CKS77 red (regular length cord with no extension).  From what I can tell, I can't see any physical defects.  It looks practically brand new.  Some others here mentioned that they had tiny 1mm nicks on their phones.  I can't see any defect.

Hooked them up to my mp3 player to do a comparison with my CKM50's.

My initial impressions are rather mixed.

Now, bear with me as I'm still a noob when it comes to the world of iem's and headphones.

These iems are supposed to be "bass monsters" but initial first impression was: "Hmmm where is the bass?"  Compared with my CKM50's, the bass on these CKS77's seem rather weak.  The bass on the CKM50's were deeper and more impactful.  Call me crazy, but I don't feel the bass on these like I do on my CKM50's.

On the other hand, I do notice the "sub-bass" effect on the CKS77's.  I can definitely feel the "sub-bass" effect compared to my CKM50's.

Another positive about the CKS77's is the soundstage and the layering of the music.  It definitely feels like a wider soundstage and I can feel the layering in the music.  Also, it seems to have an "airy" effect compared to the CKM50's which I like very much.

This impression is with no burn in at all. 

I dunno, could these possibly be fake?

What's weird is that the red ATH CKS77 I received looks different from the pictures of the red ATH CKS77 online at other places.

If you look here at accessoryjacks site: http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-cks77-dynamic-solid-bass-in-ear-headphones-black-red-brd.html

You can see there are 2 places where it's red.  The audio technica logo area is red.  There is also a red ring near the eartip area.  However, the one I received only has red on the audio technica logo area.  There is no red ring near the eartip.  It's black on mine.

I'm trying not to be skeptical.  Maybe my expectations were too great after coming from the CKM50's.  I'm a big bass head and I was expecting the bass to kick me in the face.  But with initial impressions, it felt like the bass was weaker than my CKM50's.

Don't get me wrong, these are great.  But, I guess my expectations were too high and I was expecting a huge increase in the bass department, not a downgrade.

Or perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about.

confused_face.gif

May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #881 of 1,518
The more I look at them, the more skeptical I become.

I've looked everywhere online for the red ATH CKS77 and they all have red in 2 locations (The LTD doesn't have a red ring).  The audio technica logo area and the ring near the earpiece.

The ones from ebay only have the red on the audio technica logo area.  There is no red ring near the earpiece.

The one from eBay:

From other websites and accessoryjack:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-cks77-dynamic-solid-bass-in-ear-headphones-black-red-brd.html

May 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #885 of 1,518
Take a few more pics from different angles. And see if you can get focus on the earphones. Are those the stock tips that came with?

The bass is hard to miss on the CKS77. You shouldn't be wondering where it is.

Quote:
The more I look at them, the more skeptical I become.

I've looked everywhere online for the red ATH CKS77 and they all have red in 2 locations (The LTD doesn't have a red ring).  The audio technica logo area and the ring near the earpiece.

The ones from ebay only have the red on the audio technica logo area.  There is no red ring near the earpiece.

The one from eBay:

From other websites and accessoryjack:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-cks77-dynamic-solid-bass-in-ear-headphones-black-red-brd.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back