The ATH-CKS77.
May 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #826 of 1,518
It is easy. Just take something sharp and pointy. I used a pair of sharp tweezers. The filter is on there real good so you gotta poke your pin or something sharp in there and rip it out with your fingers. Just make sure you don't drop any of the filter material into the housing. The last thing you want is a piece of small filter in there when your drivers are playing your music. I can guess that might make it sound like there is a rip or something vibrating if something loose is in there.

May 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #827 of 1,518
Quote:
You should try taking the filter out of the CKS77s Techno. I know what it does. It will flatten out the sound a bit more to your liking I bet. Still retain the depth and staging while cleaning up the sound a bit like pfloyd suggested..I know guys that like a flatter sound will probably like this little mod.. Oh and for guys that are worried about not having a filter at all. I grabbed a pair of complys I had. Don't know which number they are but they have a wax guard in them works perfect on the CKS earphones. .FlySweeps filter mod will also do the same. I tried this with my CKS55 which absolutely needed the filter out.

It was almost not listenable before I took out the filter and now sounds like a new version all together. Much flatter response and so much more cleaner to listen to..  What was once the biggest bass is now a bit lesser than the CKS77..It seems the thick filter actually enhanced the bass response on these CKS earphones..
For me I decided to keep the filter on there for that dirty nasty sound which I like in my bassy earphones. But there is a choice and I have to admit it will and does clean up and flatten out the sound. Take out the filter if you guys feel the bass is too much for you and want your sound a bit cleaner. You gotta like an earphone that actually ends up giving you a tuning option..

Oh and Mr. Pfloyd I have a feeling you are around my age.. You need not to be so shy and contribute more my friend. Lol!. Glad you find these AT earphones to your liking..I have one more that you need to try out in the future. If you liked how them CKM50s sounded to you when you get a chance I have a feeling you would absolutely love the CKM500.. No filters need taken out either.. You know what is interesting. I was taking a good look into that CKM500 filter and I can see clear through it. It is very thin and not thick like these CKS earphones. Might explain why they sound so clean...Sound tuning through paper filters? Interesting.

Well I would take the filter out but they're not mine I just borrowed them from a friend and since he likes them I don't think he'd be to happy :)  I'll just chalk this one up as a loss but again I can see why you and many others like them and maybe just maybe I'll get a pair sometime later on if they go for around $50 and try them without the filter.

May 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #829 of 1,518
Quote:

Well after reading your filter mod this is making me rethink picking up a pair because the way you described them sound more to my liking, though I don't have any RE262 filters laying around.  What are the filters from the RE262 like because I might be able to rig something in case I do snag a pair.

May 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #830 of 1,518
There are 4 different versions of the cks77???

So I bought the cks77 from the ebay seller and I received an email today stating that they may have shipped the wrong one to me.

They told me there are 4 versions of the cks77.

Cks77 (black and red color)
Cks77s (black color)
Cks77LTD (red color)

I initially placed an order for the cks77LTD. But they told me that I may receive the cks77 instead of the cks77s or the cks77LTD.

They told me that the cks77 were better than the cks77s and the cks77LTD.

What's the difference? Is the cks77 better than the cks77s and cks77LTD?

Thx everyone. I'm confused.

May 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #831 of 1,518
I just got the same email actually.  I bet they ran out of the CKS77 Ltd. I am gonna write them an email asking what the differences are. We will see. I think they are all the same sound wise. They better be. Some have the short cord and some don't. It is a bit confusing but I will see what they have to say.

May 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #832 of 1,518
i just got that email today too.

i originally ordered from accessoryjack on 4/16 and on 4/20 i think the tracking said leaving hong kong or something like that and nothing ever changed since then.  no phones ever showed up, etc.  so AJ says they are looking into it.  well then i ordered the ltd from that ebay seller on monday since i dont think ill ever be getting the ones from AJ and then they sent me the email today about might have got the wrong pair.  i am sure they have ltd left so someone must have shipping out thr wrong ones instead of ltd's or something. 

anyways, not having good luck w/ these cks77 so far, first pair never made it and 2nd pair isnt the ones i ordered!!!

May 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #835 of 1,518
Lets see what happens. This is strange that everyone is getting an email saying the wrong ones have been sent.. How can they make this mistake for everyone. Something must have happened. From what they say on the email. I think we will get a CKS77 but if they can't confirm which ones we will get.. It looks like it will be a crap shoot. Might get a black short cord or not or a red one or not. Lol! I guess we will find out soon enough.

Even though I already own the black ones. If they end up sending me a pair of black ones I will take the filter out for a different take on the sound and have 2 versions. CKS77 and the modified CKS77-B. I think as long as they send me an actual working pair I will be happy. If they send me a different model,. That is when we will have issues.

@rj200 Hey keep the faith. I was kinda in the dark until I got my earphones from AJ but that is a long time. You never know, it might be in your door step as soon as tomorrow. It did take 10 days for me so even though it is a bit longer than that I would give it this week.

May 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #837 of 1,518
I can kind of guess what happened. They probably had too much of one color and not the other so this email was sent out because I am sure they are replacing the ones they are short on. I can also imagine them getting all sorts of orders after BGRoberts confirmed they are originals.

I know there are many a visitors to this thread that aren't headfiers so just like what happened on the MP8320 thread there are gonna be many people ordering from them to save a few bucks..Too many orders for one color and not enough on another all of a sudden they have an issue. They are probably replacing the red ltd ones with black ones I bet. Lol! In any case I think we will all get our earphones it will be a crap shoot to which color or version we get it seems.

May 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #838 of 1,518
I was so close...literally wrote the thread, then saved it for later - to sell my CKS77's.
Can't yet decide if I shoudl really let them go or not.

The MG7's was a hard enough decision.
Now the new CKS77's are an even harder decision.

Not that I like one more than the other, just don't need any more earphones to keep in my drawers.
PFE232 - what have you done to me....

May 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #839 of 1,518
Quote:
I was so close...literally wrote the thread, then saved it for later - to sell my CKS77's.
Can't yet decide if I shoudl really let them go or not.

The MG7's was a hard enough decision.
Now the new CKS77's are an even harder decision.

Not that I like one more than the other, just don't need any more earphones to keep in my drawers.
PFE232 - what have you done to me....

Lol, once you get started, this "hobby" becomes an addiction. I think at one point or another it will call for intervention and possibly re-hab.  In order to make you forget about needing good sound the nurses/doctors in head-fi rehab supply us with nothing but Bose and Beats, to brainwash us.
We could do an internet parody movie like that (but it will become real life soon) LOL  :)

May 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #840 of 1,518
Just got mines today, time to burn them. But damn the sound signature between this, MG7, and IE8 are definitely different. Will update after hours of burn in.

Off topic, but should I invest in a portable amp? I never own one but is it basically like an equalizer? On my iPhone I'm currently using an app called Equ it I can use it to increase the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back