The ATH-CKS77.
May 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #841 of 1,518
Quote:
Just got mines today, time to burn them. But damn the sound signature between this, MG7, and IE8 are definitely different. Will update after hours of burn in.

Off topic, but should I invest in a portable amp? I never own one but is it basically like an equalizer? On my iPhone I'm currently using an app called Equ it I can use it to increase the bass.

Amps are always optional. I have a E11 I use once in a while but just out of my Sony Daps. These are so efficient I don't feel it is a necessity at all but guys here love how the Z02 sounds with them.  See how you like the sound just out of your player to minimize stuff you gotta carry around first. Amps will just throw that sound into overdrive. Look forward to see what you think.

In an interesting note. I have been burning in my CKS90 this whole time. I think I have around 50 hours on them now..The one thing I noticed is how much better they sound from my desktop vs my Sony Z1060. The synergy I have with my Z and CKS77 is not the same. The CKS90 are much more harder to drive and sound awesome with my E11 or on my desktop. So synergy does matter. I think if guys were to just base the sound of the CKS90 they would have been turned off by them but they are sounding much much better with more power behind them.

But with good burn in and with filter out of the CKS55. Nothing new to report it is still CKS77>CKS90>CKS55.. The CKS90 has a different sound all together. They are close to the tuning that is on the CKM99. But I definitely prefer my CKM99 over them. They are like a bright idea that just didn't amount to a whole lot.

Oh an one last thing.. You guys that have the CKS77 now.. Must try checking out a movie with them. It will surprise..

May 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #846 of 1,518
I tried the Sony hybrid knock offs that came with my Gr07.  Sounds exactly like the stock tips so I have no doubts that Sony hybrids will work for them.

I am wondering for guys that like a little less bass if there are tips that would reduce the bass. Anyone?

May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #847 of 1,518
Just got mines today, time to burn them. But damn the sound signature between this, MG7, and IE8 are definitely different. Will update after hours of burn in.

Off topic, but should I invest in a portable amp? I never own one but is it basically like an equalizer? On my iPhone I'm currently using an app called Equ it I can use it to increase the bass.

Amp is not necissary but since i got my ZO2 i NEVER listen without it as Dubbed said...much prefer it over my old E11...if your a basshead its a must, also it adds to the soundstage a little and also adds extension to highs which a software graphical EQ cannot do! Read a couple of reviews on the ZO2 thread

Quote:
I tried the Sony hybrid knock offs that came with my Gr07.  Sounds exactly like the stock tips so I have no doubts that Sony hybrids will work for them.

I am wondering for guys that like a little less bass if there are tips that would reduce the bass. Anyone?

Tips with bigger holes usually...havent tried on the CKS77 as i love the bass as is :p 

May 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #849 of 1,518
Hey guys whats the battery life of the ZO, high gain, and like 75% bass levels?  My E11 seems to be dying too often for me :frowning2:.  I havent tried the ZO yet but I hear it's pretty good, hopefully better than my E11

May 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #851 of 1,518
Quote:

As you know 'nuts there are two positions for the tips on the 77s.  i find that using the largest diameter but shortest sound tube length tips adjusted to position two, again shortening the sound tube length, works the best for taming the  bass.  Seems to me that if you reduce the interactions of the sound on surfaces and maximize hearing the waves directly off the driver, the mids are brought more forward, clarity is improved while taming the bass, all this with the filter removed of course. Another plus with this phone is this adjustment versatility.  If I need to warm them up a bit, I just pull the tips out to position one, which also improves isolation, likely helping increase bass as well.

May 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #852 of 1,518
Quote:
Around 1 to 2 days. I would suggest posting this in the zo2 thread , rather than on here
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea I agree, I felt dumb afterward but there was talk about it here so my brain says ask here.
My apologies to DS

May 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #853 of 1,518
Quote:
As you know 'nuts there are two positions for the tips on the 77s.  i find that using the largest diameter but shortest sound tube length tips adjusted to position two, again shortening the sound tube length, works the best for taming the  bass.  Seems to me that if you reduce the interactions of the sound on surfaces and maximize hearing the waves directly off the driver, the mids are brought more forward, clarity is improved while taming the bass, all this with the filter removed of course. Another plus with this phone is this adjustment versatility.  If I need to warm them up a bit, I just pull the tips out to position one, which also improves isolation, likely helping increase bass as well.

Good observation.. I have been using the largest tip extended on the nozzle. I remember testing that out. I didn't think it made too much of a difference but that makes sense to me..It will be interesting to get my newer CKS77 to try taking the filter out to see how good that sounds vs stock. Gonna try out a bigger wider tip. The UE tips have big sound holes in them and see if that makes a difference.

No apologies needed quisxx. I ain't so up tight about stuff like that plus I think getting that big bass experience with a Z02 makes sense with something like a CKS77. 

Interesting. The UE tips on the 2nd notch or shortened nozzle does get me closer to the mids.. The bass does seem a bit better dispersed in the same tunes.
Sound balancing with tips.  I think for vocal music this would be a nice option to get your vocals closer to your ears..Yup I just put my oem tips and I can definitely tell the mids are even more forward using the UE tips and a tad lesser bass. This is very interesting the mids are definitely more forward. Almost a mid forward sound even. Which I know some guys love. I didn't know this would have affected the balance of the sound. I need to try out more tips..

With monster foam and gel tips it is the opposite. A bit more bass with a bit less mids.

May 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #855 of 1,518
Quote:
So what are the differences between the ath-cks77 and the ath-cks77ltd? DSnuts I know you emailed the guys on ebay, but I just wanted to remind you to post there response on here. 

[size=medium]Hi, dear friend,[/size]

[size=medium]Yes, the sound are the same. There are two differences:[/size]
[size=medium]1. Cable length: CKS77s and CKS77ltd are 0.65m while cks77 is 1.2M. If 0.65m, it will comes an extension cable.[/size]
[size=medium]2. There is less red part on CKS77 than on CKS77LTD. You can search the pictures of them to compare.[/size]

[size=medium]We send the right color ones. But maybe send wrong cable length ones. [/size]

[size=medium]Please do not worry the sound quality. They are the same sound quality.[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you very much for your good communication.[/size]

[size=medium]Sincerely [/size]

Speaking of this is the reply I got. So this is good news. Considering tips have just little differences in the sound. These for half price might be a great deal for guys that want to try these and save some money. I know this earphones sound inside and out so I will see if the new ones I get from these guys are the same. Some how factory rejects might just mean very minor imperfections and hopefully the exact same sound. I have to admit $52 for red limited edition CKS77s factory rejects or not.. Is a damn great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back