The ATH-CKS77.
Apr 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #91 of 1,518

bye bye Spock!
So far, I've listened to the 77's mostly through a Fiio E17.
I've found it to be a very nice match.
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #92 of 1,518

Quote:

bye bye Spock!
So far, I've listened to the 77's mostly through a Fiio E17.
I've found it to be a very nice match.
L3000.gif

This is what is interesting about these. They sound complete without amping but the headroom/ soundroom is so huge I think there will be some very interesting potential for excellent results from amping.  My Sony Z1060 has what is called clear bass. Sony DAPs all have bass boost to some degree and my player with DSEE sound enhance, which expands the sound like a good amp with clear bass on level 1 and this to my ears sound stupendous no amp needed at all. Don't need more bass that is for sure. Something like a ZO2 with a CKS77 just might be overkill.

You like the other better I take it. But you don't like " Say hello to my 2 little friends?"

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #93 of 1,518
You know, you've just made me realize that I've barely listened to thes unamped.  I'm so enamored of the E17, that I tend to have it in the chain all the time.  I;ll have to give these some un-amped listening.
confused_face%281%29.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #94 of 1,518
 I suppose that would be downgrading the sound but I always use my earphones unamped first. For me if it sounds great unamped it must sound better amped. Amped or not these are extremely efficient and I remember when I was doing my A/B against the Tributes. The overall volume on these CKS77 was much louder. I had to lower the volume a bit to get the same volume as the tributes. These sound nice on everything I have actually.

Dub. I know you are gonna get one..It is only a matter of time. It is calling you. .

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #95 of 1,518

Quote:
 I suppose that would be downgrading the sound but I always use my earphones unamped first. For me if it sounds great unamped it must sound better amped. Amped or not these are extremely efficient and I remember when I was doing my A/B against the Tributes. The overall volume on these CKS77 was much louder. I had to lower the volume a bit to get the same volume as the tributes. These sound nice on everything I have actually.

Dub. I know you are gonna get one..It is only a matter of time. It is calling you. .

hahaha :D!
Well I'm waiting for your impressions - and I'll have to do some more testing between MTD vs MG7's

I also have the GR8's coming in :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #96 of 1,518
Man you are on a earphone buying terror..I Bet your family think your crazy..Here is the hint of where these CKS77 rate.
Yes I am A/Bing them again against the Tributes. Earth Wind and Fire. horns and percussion vocal explosion. There is no comparison here. The Tributes sound small in sound compared to the CKS77. The detail in the upper mids lower highs are colored on the Tributes. Little percussion detail is heard but much more difficult to make out over CKS77.

All I am saying is if your MG7 soundstaging wise is similar or smaller than the Tributes. We will have an issue.
Overall the sound stage of the tributes sound confining over the CKS77. Faster tracks have more clarity and detail on the CKS77
Even though the overall sound is more expansive and deeper on the CKS77. There is clearly more definition on the CKS77. Vocals aren't as clean or as intimate when compared to the CKS77 on the tributes

I also noticed the resolution in the highs aren't as defined over the CKS77 either. I have to stop. Lol. This happened last time I did this too..  Basically if you find when A/Bing against your MG7 you find the clarity better on your Tributes.. Hmmm.

Clarity CKS77> Tributes
Stage CKS77> Tributes both width and depth
balance CKS77>Tributes.
definition CKS77>Tributes.
Highs CKS77>Tributes
Mids CKS77>Tributes
Lows  CKS77>Tributes.      I still like my tributes but every time I A/B against them they get handed in every category. Sorry Monster fans. These tributes are musical earphones but are gonna get handed their lunch if you A/B against the CKS77.

TDub. Do me a favor and A/B against the MG7s when you get a chance. Let me know how they compare against your Tributes. I can safely say if you want a superior sounding earphone over your Tributes.. Sell those off and get yourself a CKS77. These might not have the flash of the Tributes but these have it where it counts.  The Tributes get trumped every time I A/B them and it is every time all the time..

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #97 of 1,518

Quote:
TDub. Do me a favor and A/B against the MG7s when you get a chance. Let me know how they compare against your Tributes. I can safely say if you want a superior sounding earphone over your Tributes.. Sell those off and get yourself a CKS77. These might not have the flash of the Tributes but these have it where it counts.  The Tributes get trumped every time I A/B them and it is every time all the time..

Y U DO DIS TO MEEE?

Tributes aren't as nice overall over the MG7's, but hold a nice mid-bass

How does the sub-bass and mid-bass go vs the CK's?

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #98 of 1,518
That's great. Do you also have the mdts or mg7s? These are in such an interesting price bracket.

I've got the mdt as well.
Can compare to other iems for reference.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #99 of 1,518
Man you are on a earphone buying terror..I Bet your family think your crazy..Here is the hint of where these CKS77 rate.
Yes I am A/Bing them again against the Tributes. Earth Wind and Fire. horns and percussion vocal explosion. There is no comparison here. The Tributes sound small in sound compared to the CKS77. The detail in the upper mids lower highs are colored on the Tributes. Little percussion detail is heard but much more difficult to make out over CKS77.

All I am saying is if your MG7 soundstaging wise is similar or smaller than the Tributes. We will have an issue.
Overall the sound stage of the tributes sound confining over the CKS77. Faster tracks have more clarity and detail on the CKS77
Even though the overall sound is more expansive and deeper on the CKS77. There is clearly more definition on the CKS77. Vocals aren't as clean or as intimate when compared to the CKS77 on the tributes

I also noticed the resolution in the highs aren't as defined over the CKS77 either. I have to stop. Lol. This happened last time I did this too..  Basically if you find when A/Bing against your MG7 you find the clarity better on your Tributes.. Hmmm.

Clarity CKS77> Tributes
Stage CKS77> Tributes both width and depth
balance CKS77>Tributes.
definition CKS77>Tributes.
Highs CKS77>Tributes
Mids CKS77>Tributes
Lows  CKS77>Tributes.      I still like my tributes but every time I A/B against them they get handed in every category. Sorry Monster fans. These tributes are musical earphones but are gonna get handed their lunch if you A/B against the CKS77.

I can't help but wonder, maybe you're not getting an optimal fit?
I find the mdt quite capable. Staging is decent as well.
Details don't smack you in the face but are there.
If this keeps up we might have a real giant killer lol.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #101 of 1,518
Here is the crazy thing about the bass end to these. Yes these do have big bass but you guys aren't gonna notice it on bass light tunes at all. Again everyone that gets these must listen to that Vivaldi recording I left on the beginning of the thread. It is gonna be interesting to hear how the MG7 compare bass wise. I have a feeling those might have a bit more authority in the bass region over the CKS77 but then again guys that aren't used to hearing bassy earphones will think there is too much bass on the CKS77.. I call it chameleon Bass. It adapts to different tunes.  For hip hop and EDM it is pure authority. On instruments and vocals the bass is a part of the track but in no way overbearing or impolite against other instruments.  Some one will have to test the sub bass capabilities of these CKS77. The bass is very smooth and textured. Sub bass is simply some of the best of any headphone I have ever heard.

Can be very tight and punchy for Rock and Metal or big and brawny with big sub bass for hip hop and EDM.. Then add to that %5 depth. And you get the idea. Mid bass to sub bass transition is seamless and as smooth and natural as one would expect from a big 12.5mm Tweeked dynamic that has a 2nd chamber.. I am completely sold on this 2nd chamber dynamic on these earphones. I am very confident for guys that will get these. Unless your an absolute neutral snob and want everything flat as a pancake. There is just no possible way you cannot be impressed with this sound. It is like no other earphone I own.. A detailed balanced bassy earphone with big sound and space.. I have nothing quite like them.
These will make you realize just how limited your other earphones are in depth and in many other aspects of their sound. The tributes are just one earphone that don't come close to the authority of these. I don't want to step on too many earphones now as I want you all to discover these for yourself and see what I am talking about. .I can describe just how much depth and sound these have but unless you hear one. Well you just won't know.

The Bass end hands the Tributes again. I am listening to some Tribe Called Quest..The bass extension is not only clear as day but more robust over the tributes. The tributes are bassy earphones but lacks the punch and authority in bass. After all these are called Solid Bass for a reason..I think even owners of the MG7s will be surprised with the sub bass of these earphones..The more surprising aspect of these earphones is the overall presentation and just how nice these play with all genres of music. Oh and for live recordings.. These will put a smile on your face I am willing to bet on it.

One question for you Dubbed. How you find the staging MG7 vs Tributes.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #102 of 1,518

Quote:
I can't help but wonder, maybe you're not getting an optimal fit?
I find the mdt quite capable. Staging is decent as well.
Details don't smack you in the face but are there.
If this keeps up we might have a real giant killer lol.

Sil3nce. My friend. All I can tell you is.. You are in for a treat.  See when you have the Tributes they do a great job of being musical and detailed enough to enjoy your music with a bit added coloration in the mids but enjoyable none the less.  I am sure your ears will tell you the truth once you get these.  I can't wait till you hear these and A/B them. Then you will understand... You guys can't get these fast enough. Lol! 

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #104 of 1,518
Apr 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #105 of 1,518
Sil3nce. My friend. All I can tell you is.. You are in for a treat.  See when you have the Tributes they do a great job of being musical and detailed enough to enjoy your music with a bit added coloration in the mids but enjoyable none the less.  I am sure your ears will tell you the truth once you get these.  I can't wait till you hear these and A/B them. Then you will understand... You guys can't get these fast enough. Lol! 

All thanks to you buddy. I'm quite convinced that these should be significantly "good" at the very least.
Thinking of obtaining a few final audio products as well for a shoot-out.
Man, too bad the shipping takes forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back