The ATH-CKS1000..
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #152 of 582
Quote:

Just wondering if these have already been delivered. Any initial impressions? Hope you're enjoying them by now!

Oh man. Have to apologize for the extremely late reply since I haven't logged in in a while.

I've definitely been enjoying them. A few thoughts from a non-audiophile:

The build quality on these are impressive. The machined edges are a nice touch. The cable is nice and thick and not too prone to knots and tangling compared to other phones I've had. L-plug, remote, and plugs are all solid. I wouldn't feel afraid if I dropped these.

Microphonics are noticeable when I'm carrying my iPhone in my hand. I don't think there's any cable that wouldn't be prone to making sounds when the cable is swinging wildly though haha. When the player is in my pocket and I'm walking outside normally, I don't notice any microphonics at all. 

I was worried about sound isolation since I commute daily, but rest assured, it blocks out about 70-80% of all sounds depending on the tips used. I don't think I'd want anymore isolation or else I'd miss the service announcements and door chimes. I never have to raise my iPhone's volume above 50%.

Now, onto the sound. Bass was slightly "bloated" at first, but has tightened up tremendously after a few weeks of usage. The bass is now impactful, tight, and speedy. I especially noticed how quickly it presents and retreats during a bongo sequence in Emancipator's tracks. The mids are lush, smooth, but could be a smidge more forward in presentation. That is probably my only qualm with these phones. At times, I find the bass is layered above the mids if that makes sense. A slight veil. I think maybe trying a larger bore tip as suggested above might solve this issue. Highs are airy, and not sibilant at all.

The soundstage and separation is what really impressed me, and a few friends that listened to these. It feels as though if you closed your eyes you could point to the different instruments dancing around your head. The separation is impressive to the point that all the friends I lent them to commented on that. The soundstage is wide, and centered around the middle to back of your head. I find the bass punches a touch forward of the middle.

Hope that helps!

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #154 of 582
Different flavor on the CKS1000..These are equally just as enjoyable if not more so imo. I would try one out. They do need a good burn in but has one of the best engaging sounds for earphones I own.. The mids on these earphones are one of a kind.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #155 of 582
Quote:
Different flavor on the CKS1000..These are equally just as enjoyable if not more so imo. I would try one out. They do need a good burn in but has one of the best engaging sounds for earphones I own.. The mids on these earphones are one of a kind.

I would say the sound is softening up from openbox. I really regretted purchasing these the first time I listened to them. Now with a few weeks burn-in, the change is pretty noticeable. I also had to get used to the way the cks1000 fit my ear. The fit is good and comfortable once you accept the way the housing is built. I am going to continue to burn these in for another week or so, then I will apply to my ears. The mids are nicely done.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #156 of 582
Quote:
I use the Sennheiser double flange tips on my CKS1000. Sounds great.

Surprisingly, the Sony hybrids and Monster foam hybrid aren't bad on them ( I use the black Monster on them currently). In addition to those two, I like the Senn double flange and UE900 silicons on the CKS1000 also. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #158 of 582
hi I'm noob here at headfi. I just want to contribute a bit and give my impressions about how the ath-cks1000 sounds. The best way for me to do that is to tell you guys what led me into getting it. I currently have the v-moda lp2, westone 3 and ath-a900x. My favorite among the three mentioned headphones is the ath-a900x. I just love how it sounds and I wanted something that might sound like it in the form of in ear headphones. Now even with burn in these doesn't sound like it. It has too much bass although it's bass is of very good quality and quantity but with eq'ing (in my case setting my iphone's eq to bass reducer) it did the trick and made it sound very close to how the a900x does.

Don't get me wrong, eq'ing it will not kill its bass. it still pack a punch and if your tracks calls for bass the cks1000 will deliver.

I highly recommend these to anyone looking for a basshead headphone that can be very articulate whenever you want it to be as long as you eq down the bass.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #159 of 582
I just got my 1k's today and I have them hooked up to the extension cord with the right angle which is not meant for the phones.  First impressions out of the box are that the treble had a strange sound when symbols were hit.  It didn't have a clear clash but sounded more like a stick hitting the symbol and the symbol was made of plastic.  It sounded very off.  The mids are up front, voices sound quite intimate and centered while the song is playing.  The bass sounded a little boomy and bled into some of the mids making things sound a tad muddy.  

5 hours later...
The sound has cleared up a little.  The symbols don't sound so plastic.  They sound a little clearer.  The bass is still a little boomy and can be muddy.  At the moment I am listening to Eric Clampton-Tears in Heaven through Fedilia.  I am not using any amp to boost it in power, it does not seem to need it.  The picking of the guitar sound nice but while the bongos play they don't sound exactly in the back ground.  They sound kind of mixed in.  The separation hasn't come about as of yet.  Eric's voice sounds close by, as though he were sitting in front of me.  For the moment I feel like the music is coming at me like a wall of sound.  As I have mentioned, separation isn't evident at the moment.

I will continue burning this in for hopefully 200 hours.  I'll check back at the 100 mark.  

PS...man these things stick out far from my ears.  

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #162 of 582
Quote:
Giving these a try. I sold my 200's to none other than the Master troll.... heh heh heh

^

Quote:
These stick out a lot.  I wish they wouldn't.  They do fit snug though.

Great to hear these are comfy for ya' meng. Hope they will be great for your powerlift needs.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back