The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,861 of 1,921
out of the box I think CKM500 are a bit warm with more crisp highs but after burn in they will be a bit more dull as the bass gets stronger while everything else tends to smoothen out.

unfortunately my CKM500iS I had them in my pocket quite a bit and the earpiece plastic section came off from the coloured section. I'll try krazy gluing it again. I did buy a backup pair in Taiwan (just CKM500 without the mic/volume box), but these were in my luggage and I was on the plane when I found out my iS broke. As a result I bought the cheaper CK323M during a transfer stop in Japan (500's weren't available, only some newer ones like the 55x and 77x). They have a very different v-shaped signature with recessed mids and mid-bass. That might change with burn in. The highs seemed more crisp and clear than the 500. I like the flat cable of the CK323M's and it comes with a cable winder but unfortunately it leaves some dents on the cable where you clip it on. They are rather tangle-resistant and also have the small plastic ring to bring the left and right cables higher/lower together, unlike the CKM500.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #1,862 of 1,921
Here's an interesting looking product:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-BT05-BK-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B0087BQCHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378333220&sr=8-1&keywords=ATH-BT05

It includes a variation of the CKM500 along with a bluetooth receiver/amp that has an integrated mic, media controls, a small monochrome OLED display and some SRS effects (which can be turned off), for about $110.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I've ordered it, so I'll see how it is in a few days.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,863 of 1,921
Sad morning. The left driver on my CKM50 just died. I loved these.

I plan to stick with AT for the replacement. I listen to a lot of female vocal trance and indie rock  I suppose.

What is AT currently offering in the < $50 and $51-$99 price brackets?

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,864 of 1,921
I think it's coming down to either the CKM500 or CKN70. Price is equal at about $75.

Comparisons please?

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,865 of 1,921
I think it's coming down to either the CKM500 or CKN70. Price is equal at about $75.

Comparisons please?

CKN70's have better definition throughout the sonic spectrum, including tighter bass, but they do have a brighter presentation which has put some people off. The CKM500's are great all rounders but I personally prefer the CKN70's.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,867 of 1,921
I was gonna say that. The CKX7 will be $75 and has new features like the removable C-chips for fit, the rotatable nozzles, dual layer diaphragms, and the two year warranty since they are on the U.S. site already. Not long since it is September which is when they are due to come.

You might not know how they sound exactly but the new AT direction of the house sound should be there which is a good thing. Plus lately each model has been reported to be better than the last.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,868 of 1,921
I needed something now, so I got the CKM500. I can't stand anything too bright and I hate J-cords, so no CKN70.

I will wait for reviews of the CKX before buying, but it's nice to know something is coming down the pipeline.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,870 of 1,921
CKM500 vs Carbo Basso (short review)

I am comparing 100+ hrs burned Carbo basso and 50+ hrs burned CKM500 both fitted with Meelec double flangs driven by iPhone 5.
Interestingly they have similar sound signature. But,

CKM wins over CB in:
- vocals (more crispier)
- Treble (better)
- Bass is slightly punchier
- looks

CB wins over CKM in:
- Soundstage (has more width and depth)
- Bass quality
- better lows
- noise cancellation

For me, bassos are clear winners because of their awesome soundstage and better lows. The soundstage of bassos will immediately brings smiles on your face. And surprisingly bassos have more sound than CKMs on iPhone 5, though the impedance is same on both phones.

But if you believe in burn-in, (I am a firm believer), these CKMs have scope to improve.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,871 of 1,921
  CKM 500i vs. Klipsch S4i vs. UE 600 vi ? 

Not sure about UE600, but from my experience I definitely prefer the CKM500 to the S4 (lost the S4 :frowning2:). The sound was nice on the S4 provided you get the fit, but I disliked the fit of the S4. People say S4 has harsh sibilance, but that is due to the regular-style tips (biflange reduces sibilance significantly and brings out the mids but it's a pain to wear). CKM500 is more bass-heavy but also has better mids, less sibilance using normal tips (not as good as S4 on biflange though). The treble  is not as crisp as the S4 though but less fatiguing, a bit more refined perhaps. The soundstage on both aren't that big, perhaps a bit bigger on the S4 but I found the CKM500 to have better instrument separation, like dsnuts said the sound is a lot "thicker" on the CKM500 so you don't hear it resonate quite as much. Burn-in brings out the bass more on both cans, more so on the CKM and the sibilance still remains on the S4.

I do not recommend the older S4s because the strain reliefs are very delicate (even though you can use your headphone, they rip so easily). Cable quality of CKM is slightly better as it's thicker. Earliest version has L-shaped headphone plug while the CNET Blue Box version has straight plug which I found easy to break. Newer one (2012 version S4i II) has flat tangle-resistant cable and much better strain reliefs but more expensive. The driver housing is very durable though unlike the CKM500 which broke in my pocket.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,874 of 1,921
Hi i'm about to get in-ear one, can someone suggest which shall i get CKM500 or CKN50 , CKN70,

some say CKN50 sound better than CKM500 but review rate sure r Oppressive.

also is CKM500 sound really MUCH better than CKM50?? and I'm surely love CKM55 bass on my iPod even I'm not a bass-head, is CKM500 give me a much Bass Quantity or Quality?

thanks.

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,875 of 1,921
Maybe better to get something newer, like the CKX7. They seem to improve with each release so they should be a safe bet plus they have articulating nozzles and the C-chips which may help with fit or you could take off and not use at all. Come with more accessories as well, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back