The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Aug 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,846 of 1,921
are the CKS1000 worth the significant investment upgrade over the CKM500s? my 500s are delightful, but i do like the power of
the CKM99s i have better, but the treble is still harsh and burning in,, will it ever get "there"??? would the CKS1000 be the holy grail?

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,847 of 1,921
Actually no real need for Meelec tips. I ended up using something else..If you have an audio store close by. Look for tips with wider bore or nozzle than what is on the stock tips of the CKM500. Anything with wider nozzle. Cheapo JVC earphones all come with wider tips for example. I am certain the stock tips actually restricts the sounds on the CKM500 adding to the mid bass that is on there. Once you get a wider bore tips the bass actually levels out even more so and sounds much better. Burn in helps too.

Which tips would you recommend?

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,849 of 1,921
Your links does not show the tips but in general most Meelec tips will be wider bore. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-cl-mee.htm  I use Auveo tips bought from our local radio shack. I hear they no longer carry the tips. They look similar to the Sony hybrids but much better than them with wider bores.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,850 of 1,921
Your links does not show the tips but in general most Meelec tips will be wider bore. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-cl-mee.htm  I use Auveo tips bought from our local radio shack. I hear they no longer carry the tips. They look similar to the Sony hybrids but much better than them with wider bores.

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking I should try comply foam tips as well and see how they affect the sound. Have you tried them before?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,851 of 1,921
The pair I tried makes the earphones sound kinda leaner and treble is not as controlled so I went back to silicones. But this will not be that case for everyone as we all have different shaped canals. You can certainly try them I know a few guys had better luck with Complys. Practically any earphone tip with wider bore is better than the stock tip imo. AT is guilty of just using their standard eartips and Sony is guilty of doing the same but sometimes when the sound is bigger than the tips this restricts sound and throws out more low end than what actually should be the sound. 

I would just go to your local earphone shop look around for earphones you can buy for cheap and use those tips. If you got friends with in ears snake their tips they don't use.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,852 of 1,921
The pair I tried makes the earphones sound kinda leaner and treble is not as controlled so I went back to silicones. But this will not be that case for everyone as we all have different shaped canals. You can certainly try them I know a few guys had better luck with Complys. Practically any earphone tip with wider bore is better than the stock tip imo. AT is guilty of just using their standard eartips and Sony is guilty of doing the same but sometimes when the sound is bigger than the tips this restricts sound and throws out more low end than what actually should be the sound. 

I would just go to your local earphone shop look around for earphones you can buy for cheap and use those tips. If you got friends with in ears snake their tips they don't use.

Thanks for the help. I will go ahead and try complys since I will need to at some time anyway to find the right tips for me.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,853 of 1,921
I just bought these earbuds off amazon and currently playing them through my ears. I'm comparing these with the a900x.

I'm pretty excited about sound signature of these, and the stock earbuds are quite comfortable after an hour of use.

The bass sounds exactly like the a900x. Punchy and a bit boomy, however this is quite enjoyable with funky bass guitars.
The mids sounds exactly like the a900x. Prominent, but not as clear.
The highs almost sound the same:
-Frequencies seem to be spiked here and there around the 4khz-7khz range, compared to the a900x frequency response. Due to this I can hear the finger slides across an acoustic guitar. Violins are more enjoyable, but crash symbols on rock music can be tiring.

Sound stage is a bit layered, however since it's an IEM, it's not wide at all.

In general, I love these iem's, and I'm hoping to hear the results of burn in.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,854 of 1,921
Quote:

The Auvio tips here are not the same as the hybrid ones?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026&filterName=Brand&filterValue=AUVIO

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,855 of 1,921
Quote:
I just bought these earbuds off amazon and currently playing them through my ears. I'm comparing these with the a900x.

I'm pretty excited about sound signature of these, and the stock earbuds are quite comfortable after an hour of use.

The bass sounds exactly like the a900x. Punchy and a bit boomy, however this is quite enjoyable with funky bass guitars.
The mids sounds exactly like the a900x. Prominent, but not as clear.
The highs almost sound the same:
-Frequencies seem to be spiked here and there around the 4khz-7khz range, compared to the a900x frequency response. Due to this I can hear the finger slides across an acoustic guitar. Violins are more enjoyable, but crash symbols on rock music can be tiring.

Sound stage is a bit layered, however since it's an IEM, it's not wide at all.

In general, I love these iem's, and I'm hoping to hear the results of burn in.

Ya I always thought the CKM500 sound shared a resemblance to the A900X..The do require burn in and I would also try wider bore tips over the stock ones.

Quote:

Not the same. Softer and wider bore with a thicker stock over the hybrids.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,856 of 1,921
If you use the stock eartips they seem to cause this hissing resonance (a bit like a seashell ocean sound) if you've got a fan or any other constant ambient noise. They seem to leak quite a bit of sound. Is there any eartips that lessen the sound leakage?

And how would it compare to the CKS77x?

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #1,857 of 1,921
If you use the stock eartips they seem to cause this hissing resonance (a bit like a seashell ocean sound) if you've got a fan or any other constant ambient noise. They seem to leak quite a bit of sound. Is there any eartips that lessen the sound leakage?

And how would it compare to the CKS77x?
The 77x's are much warmer, with less clarity in the mids and less treble sparkle. They are pretty much only good for bass heavy music, whereas the CKM500's are better all-rounders. Both are great earphones though. If you are looking for upgrades to the CKM's, the CKN70's are a great option.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,859 of 1,921
H
[size=10pt]Is there a difference in Sound Quality between CKM500 and CKM500iS?[/size]
[size=10pt]I’m thinking to pay $9 more to have volume control.[/size]
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,860 of 1,921
Quote:
H
[size=10pt]Is there a difference in Sound Quality between CKM500 and CKM500iS?[/size]
[size=10pt]I’m thinking to pay $9 more to have volume control.[/size]
wink.gif

They should be the same. A warning: the L-shaped adaptor for the CKM500iS has a manufacturing problem, so if you have any problems with sound do not use it. The audio might sound mono and muffled with no vocals on a headphone that has a mic input (3 black bands on the plug)

Also, a lot of reviews commented that the cable for the CKN70 is pretty bad quality... I tried the CKM77x and I thought it had just a tad bit more soundstage than my CKM500iS, but the bass is overpowering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back