The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,817 of 1,921
Quote:
Yup I have that exact color... That is a real good price on them too.

The updated post i did on ebay came up to $77 shipped by mid of next month.  The one on CDJapan looks to be $48 with $15 shipping via EMS??

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,819 of 1,921
Just purchased these from CD Japan for a good price. Hopefully I will get them by mid July. Now need to find a good portable amp.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,820 of 1,921
I just got mine from buyfromjapan on eBay.

Out of the box they sound pretty good though a bit bassy. Burning them in now.

I have one problem though - the L-shaped plug adaptor doesn't work with any headphone that has a mic! :frowning2: The center channel gets removed like karaoke (as if it is half-plugged in). It's working with my other headphones (which don't have a mic)... My first reaction was "why does it sound so distorted?"

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,821 of 1,921
These things still surprise me with how good they sound. They are really fantastic all-rounders, and they are such a blast to listen to. I have the CKN70's and the CKS77X's, and I think the CKM500's can definitely hang out with them. Really awesome value.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,822 of 1,921
Well it's only been 4 days, and I'm still continuing my burn in. The bass does sound a bit more full, the highs not so much (though I think it's because I'm used to the typical V-shaped/fun sound signature like previous Klipsch S4). There is much less sibilance. Soundstage a bit small but the instrument separation is excellent, I can hear quite a bit more details than before. There is very little sibilance.

I'm happy with the isolation and the fit with the largest eartips. A few people in this thread recommend the 2nd smallest eartips but I had trouble getting them to stay in my ear for optimum sound (the bass starts cutting off if they move slightly). The bass feels more full (maybe a tad bit bloated) with the largest eartips and they don't fall out of my ears easily. They do seem to leak quite a bit of sound though.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,823 of 1,921
I would like to try some "better" tips for the CKM500 and was wondering if these from MEElectronics will be good to use.  They are the double flange version, or would it be better to go with single?

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,826 of 1,921
Quote:
Oh man less than a year of use and it broke...Did you get some kind of warranty with Audio-Technica? Also do you think it's common for them to break so early or did you have a special situation? For something that costs a good amount I think they should be pretty durable :frowning2:

Awesome good to know. What shipping option do you usually use? Are some of them trackable while others are not?

They were imported from Japan, so I couldn't exactly get a warranty. Idk I usually take good care of my electronics, and this was no exception. I didn't put it through any sort of abuse, and it just suddenly stopped working. The same thing happened to my CKM50 back then. I'm just not trusting AT IEMs anymore. Horrendous cable noise and questionable build quality.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,827 of 1,921
does anybody else here have the CKM500iS model and use the L-shaped adaptor plug? Is the sound fine? I mean, it works fine with a headphone that does NOT have a mic input, but it doesn't work on the CKM500iS or my cheapo Apple earbud knockoffs (they too work fine without it). If I plug it in halfway, the sound is fine but not very stable on the adaptor and it does not show up as a headset with mic on my phone. I wonder if my adaptor plug was just a bad one that they got the audio channels mixed up or something as the center channel does not play you only hear instrumental and the vocal's echo... :frowning2: It's interesting all the little details you pick up from "removing" a lead vocal though, lol

Anybody have any problems with strain reliefs? They are rather long and thin-looking so I'm a bit concerned. Those on my previous Klipsch S4s ripped within a week. The CKM500iS' plug looks like it's quite durable but there is a slight kink out of the package.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,828 of 1,921
Quote:
does anybody else here have the CKM500iS model and use the L-shaped adaptor plug? Is the sound fine? I mean, it works fine with a headphone that does NOT have a mic input, but it doesn't work on the CKM500iS or my cheapo Apple earbud knockoffs (they too work fine without it). If I plug it in halfway, the sound is fine but not very stable on the adaptor and it does not show up as a headset with mic on my phone. I wonder if my adaptor plug was just a bad one that they got the audio channels mixed up or something as the center channel does not play you only hear instrumental and the vocal's echo... :frowning2: It's interesting all the little details you pick up from "removing" a lead vocal though, lol

Anybody have any problems with strain reliefs? They are rather long and thin-looking so I'm a bit concerned. Those on my previous Klipsch S4s ripped within a week. The CKM500iS' plug looks like it's quite durable but there is a slight kink out of the package.

I just received my pair of CKM500i's this morning. At first I didn't use the L-shaped adaptor and was listening to music on my desktop computer. Everything I listened to sound incredibly muffled and just plain ugly to listen to, I was beginning to think they were fake! But I used the L-shaped adapter soon after (my adapter is really, really small, not the length others have received/quoted) everything sounded a lot clearer and crisper, which was what I expected to hear in the first place. 

They haven't had much burn in yet so I'm undecided on how I feel about these.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,829 of 1,921
Quote:

I just received my pair of CKM500i's this morning. At first I didn't use the L-shaped adaptor and was listening to music on my desktop computer. Everything I listened to sound incredibly muffled and just plain ugly to listen to, I was beginning to think they were fake! But I used the L-shaped adapter soon after (my adapter is really, really small, not the length others have received/quoted) everything sounded a lot clearer and crisper, which was what I expected to hear in the first place. 

They haven't had much burn in yet so I'm undecided on how I feel about these.

interesting. It appears that your adaptor works with mic earphones, which leads me to suspect mine is defective, but I would like to hear from someone with an iS version from Japan. I bought mine from buyfromjapan on eBay.

After 3 weeks I still find the bass to stand out the most - better to tone it down with eq. The mids are also very good - there is some warmth. Not as much highs but they are still very good and not sibilant. Soundstage is a bit small, there is not much feel of decay or reverb. However, the instrumental separation and detail is very good.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,830 of 1,921
Quote:
interesting. It appears that your adaptor works with mic earphones, which leads me to suspect mine is defective, but I would like to hear from someone with an iS version from Japan. I bought mine from buyfromjapan on eBay.

After 3 weeks I still find the bass to stand out the most - better to tone it down with eq. The mids are also very good - there is some warmth. Not as much highs but they are still very good and not sibilant. Soundstage is a bit small, there is not much feel of decay or reverb. However, the instrumental separation and detail is very good.

After further use with these I can now relate to your previous post about the L adaptor. While using the earphones and the adaptor on my Nexus 7, the sound is muffled and horrible. However just as you had said, sliding the adaptor lead out a little bit results in everything sounding as it should. BUT, this is what I find really confusing. When using the adaptor plugged into my desktop computer, the adaptor needs to be plugged in fully along with the original earphone lead. If it sits out a bit like listening to music on my Nexus, the sound becomes muffled. 

Very, very weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back