The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #766 of 1,921
Quote:
how well do these phones isolate? Good enough for commuting, riding the bus, etc?

Isolation is not their strong suit.   They might be good enough for commuting, depending on how loud things get.   They will definitely be way better than something like the PX100 though. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #767 of 1,921
@Dsnuts, I am using these with my custom silicone tips from Aurisonics....they really give something extra to the CKM500.  Also, this morning I have reversed them, L to R over ear, and I am using my crossover cable from my RE272 so the sound is still L & R in each ear.  The bass is a little tighter, and I am getting better instrament separation, more 3Dimensional sound, with the different angle into my ear canals.  When I purchased my two pair of ESW9's and upgraded cables on them, I sold off my W4R's and ASG-1's because the ESW9's sound fit my sound preferences better.  In the last few days, after listening the the CKM500's, I have sold both pairs of ESW9's because the CKM500 does everything better than the ESW9's.  Mids and highs are better on the CKM500, and the soundstage is much better than the ESW9, the CKM500 is more balanced and the mids are the as good or better than the ESW9, IMO.  In fact, I have a pair of modded ATH-W1000X, with DHC Symbiote upgraded cable, Lambskin Earpads, and AD2000 53mm drivers, that have a huge soundstage, that compare favorably in all aspects to the CKM500.......the CKM500 is like an in ear version of my modded W1000X, although my W1000X does it in a bigger better way.  A/B ing both you can surely tell they are both Audio Technica products though....they have the signature Audio Technica aound that I feel is fantastic and fun, focusing on outstanding vocals and clarity!

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #768 of 1,921
Quote:
Isolation is not their strong suit.   They might be good enough for commuting, depending on how loud things get.   They will definitely be way better than something like the PX100 though. 

I am having very good isolation with my Aurisonics Custom Silicone Sleeves, CIEM type of isolation!  And no microphonics when worn over ear!

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #769 of 1,921
I am having very good isolation with my Aurisonics Custom Silicone Sleeves, CIEM type of isolation!  And no microphonics when worn over ear!

Actually, I like the isolation they provide. If I want or need more I can use other headphones. They do provide enough isolation so that you can't hear people talking to you, but maybe not enough for a bus or train station.

Do you think you can comute with your tips?

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #770 of 1,921
I did the reverse L/R over the ear thing because I still mourn for my old Superfi5's, but I found that I lost some detail in the highs. I also tried double flanged tips and felt like the sound became too distant, and was losing overall sound quality. That's just me though, and I'm pretty new to really deciphering these kinds of things. A noob audiophile putting his listening experiences to words accurately is kinda difficult haha.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #771 of 1,921
Your doing great it is all osmosis. You learn through others and a lot of reading of sound descriptions here at headfi.. Sound description is more based on what you hear really more than anything. If you say it like you hear it. People will relate. That is how it all starts.

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #772 of 1,921
Quote:
I did the reverse L/R over the ear thing because I still mourn for my old Superfi5's, but I found that I lost some detail in the highs. I also tried double flanged tips and felt like the sound became too distant, and was losing overall sound quality. That's just me though, and I'm pretty new to really deciphering these kinds of things. A noob audiophile putting his listening experiences to words accurately is kinda difficult haha.

I get more detail in the highs this way, but with custom silicone tips I get deeper insertion, also with the reverse L/R over ear there is a different angle coming from the sound chamber, I also get better tighter bass, I think that if the sound is too distant with a loss of sound quality you are probably not getting deep enough instertion into your ear canals, that with wearing them down.  I am continuing to experiment, but I think they sound best for me reversed over ear, and they are more comfortable for me worn over ear!

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #773 of 1,921
Quote:
Actually, I like the isolation they provide. If I want or need more I can use other headphones. They do provide enough isolation so that you can't hear people talking to you, but maybe not enough for a bus or train station.
Do you think you can comute with your tips?

Sometimes I comute from one room to another, so I'm no help there!

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #774 of 1,921
how well do these phones isolate? Good enough for commuting, riding the bus, etc?

Comply will help isolate, but can alter the sound. Dsnuts reported that he likes how they sound.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #775 of 1,921
OK, I am one step from just saying the heck with IEM's altogether and simply use what I own or get a pair of over ear portables. But before I do I will list out what I like and want in an IEM and then you guys can tell me if these will do the trick or if I should keep waiting.

Currently my favorite sounding headphone is a toss up between the SRH-940 and SRH-1440. My current go to IEM is the MDR-7550.

what I want is an IEM with similar comfort and lack of ear pressure and microphonics as the MDR-7550 (EX600/1000 would be the same in this regard) with a midcentric sound and excellent treble extension (some would say the SRH headphones I own are tipped in the treble). I don't want a lot of bass but I want good bass when it's there. I also want a good sound stage but recognize it will not be on par with my full isze headphones but it needs to be at least as good as the MDR-7550. Detail needs to be above average but again I don't expect it t be as good as the Shure's.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #776 of 1,921
I can understand why you have been looking at this thread. I will tell you it seems like you are basically describing these CKM500s. I know there are much more capable earphones on these threads but for guys that want great mids and very good highs these will surprise you for how little AT is charging for these..Coming from headphones and many other earphones myself I can tell you there is nothing average about the sound on these earphones. The only negative that I can see is these do have some microphonics..It is about average in this department.Worn over the ear this will lessen the microphics to where it will be very acceptable.. I think you should give these a try. I think they will meet most if not all your needs in an iem. Even better if you want one for your Iphone or smartphone. These are more balanced than mid centric but the mids are so lush on here it is hard not to be a fan of the mids on these.

Let me put it this way. If these will not be to your liking at least you won't spend $150-$200 to find out. I can certainly be willing to bet if you want to resell them. They will be snapped up quicker than you bought them for. Lol. Try one out. These have some of the best highs and mids for a dynamic I have ever heard even over my EX600 and with no ear piercing sharpness either. Even better bass then them too. CDjapan offers these in the various colors for the cheapest I have seen to date.

I forgot to mention. The headphone these CKM500s remind me of besides my A900X.. The Vmoda M-80s. The mids especially are very similar in lushness. I actually prefer how the CKM500 highs and bass on the CKM500 over the M-80s however.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #777 of 1,921
After several hours of listening to music, the bass has calmed down a bit to a perfect level and I feel like clarity has increased. Maybe that's just me getting used to the sound signature, I don't know, but what a rich full sound these produce!! I'm starting to actually like them over my Audeo PFE. Jazz pairs amazingly well with these.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #778 of 1,921
went to try this out last friday. I own the CKM50 so I was comparing it against the CKM500is (thats the model that is sold locally).
Build wise, the color is really very nice, wire is supple and thick, seem like it can really hold up better than CKM50 but the remote seems hollow and breakable.

Would not comment on the sound much as it is a first impression and I did not really get a good seal as it is slightly larger than the CKM50. But the bass sounds much tighter and better than the CKM50.
Also it is a Demo unit and I did not bring my tips to try.
anyway which tips are you guys using? I may bring some hybrids down to try before buying to see if I could get a snug fit like the CKM50. CKM50 really fit my ears so nicely that I don't feel that I am wearing anything~

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #779 of 1,921
The biggest difference between the older CKM50 and the CKM500 are the mids which now has a nice high quality full mids section, cleaner with a much more balanced sound and add to that refinements in every region of sound. The CKM500 are not just a little upgrade but a big one in sound over the older CKM50. The CKM50 represents more of a fun V shape sound signature more than the balanced one that the CKM500 has.

Another thing is. Even though the CKM500 looks bigger believe it or not they have the exact same size for housing. The CKM500 is much longer however. Fit wise the CKM500 is actually designed better as there are no ridges. I remember on the CKM50 thread many a guys complaining for the edges of the housing on the CKM50 digging into their inner ears. Which can happen. There is no chance of that on the CKM500. So not only are the sounds a big step above in SQ but so is the build. Here is what I mean.

Sony hybrids restrict the sounds a bit on the CKM500 so I would use a bigger sound holed tip if you have any Complys that is what I would try.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #780 of 1,921
nice pics. i hope they dont fit like an earbud 
confused_face.gif

now i wish to see the ckm300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back