The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 7, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #691 of 1,921
True, there is no need to amp these. But if you do, man, o, man, you'll be in for a treat. It's more than about volume. I don't have the experience or language to describe it. One such item that impressed was hearing a sizzler being gently played during Miles Davis' Tutu. Gentle taps and I heard the resonance and decay of those tiny rivets.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #692 of 1,921
Took a stab at these today; some brief thoughts (serve alongside some pepper):

1. They're nice, but they're not giant-killers
  2. Noticeable increase in clarity and resolution over the CKM55
  3. For me, disappointing lows --- lacked texture and layering
  4. Except for resolution, which was impressive, the mids were uninspiring, i.e. they lacked dimensionality (a trait I find is shared by most earphones that share the oblique driver mounting configuration except for the most high-end models)
  5. Good separation on the highs, and has the requisite Audio-Technica treble (always a little peaky)
  6. Slightly reminiscent of the EPH-100 to me (pinch of salt)

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #693 of 1,921
I agree about the amping.
It seems to add to the fullness of the sound for me.

Quote:
True, there is no need to amp these. But if you do, man, o, man, you'll be in for a treat. It's more than about volume. I don't have the experience or language to describe it. One such item that impressed was hearing a sizzler being gently played during Miles Davis' Tutu. Gentle taps and I heard the resonance and decay of those tiny rivets.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #694 of 1,921
Quote:
Took a stab at these today; some brief thoughts (serve alongside some pepper):

1. For me, disappointing lows --- lacked texture and layering
  2. Except for resolution, which was impressive, the mids were uninspiring, i.e. they lacked dimensionality (a trait I find is shared by most earphones that share the oblique driver mounting configuration except for the most high-end models)
  3. Good separation on the highs, and has the requisite Audio-Technica treble (always a little peaky)
  4. Slightly reminiscent of the EPH-100 to me (pinch of salt)

Lows depend on source and get better after 100 hrs burn in!

What do you men by uninspiring mids?  What do you mean by "lacked dimensionality"?

IMO, they have some of the best vocals I've heard, an Audio Technica exclusive!

I don't get the "requisite Audio-Technica treble (always a little peaky)". I don't hear that in my other Audio Technica headphones......but I love the sparkle/detail in the highs of these!  I have not heard another IEM or headphone that does this well in all three, bass, mids, and treble....usually one of these miss the mark!

We all hear differently, these are no exception!

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #695 of 1,921
Quote:
Ya you know what cute. Your right about the mids and highs on these earphones. I don't know how they achieved it but I can't imagine the amount of RnD work these guys did to get the mids and highs so rich sounding on these with no piercing of any kind. If you guys think about it. That has to be easier said than done. I absolutely love the highs on these earphones. Listening to many other earphones I have and they just don't have these highs that are on these earphones. Just don't have it. Some are too lively. Some lack sparkle, Some while close don't have the depth. Some while articulate is not as full sounding. I don't know if it is just me but. I don't have too many earphones that just does the highs like these earphones do.

I think out of all the sound department that is the most difficult to nail right. It has to be the highs.

So, after about a week and half of listening to the glorious W4 (and waiting patiently for the return of my upgraded ASG-1), I put the CKM500 back into my ears after giving it a rest from some significant burn-in. Let me state this: you don't really realize what a fantastic sound these ATs possess until you step away from them for awhile and come back. I've heard some great bang-for-your buck IEMs (ASG-1, Audiofly AF45, the original price for the GR07, Isirus, and adjusted price Custom-3), but thus far this is the BEST bang-for-buck IEM I've ever owned. 

So let me cut my critics off and admit that I am a "fanboy" for the CKM500, and one of its premiere hypers!! There, I admit to it. So if you don't like to take recommendation or read impressions from a hype-man and "fanboy," please don't read any further. But for those who don't mind, Dsnuts has never been more right than when he recommended these. The bass is beginning to tighten up and the sound is just so refined for the money. And I've never really liked the AT house sound (I own the M-50 and it's a struggle for me to fully appreciate those headphone. I just ordered the Creative Live, which I hope I like better, along with my wonderful Fischer FA-011). Great job finding these low-cost gems, Dsnuts.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #696 of 1,921
Quote:

So, after about a week and half of listening to the glorious W4 (and waiting patiently for the return of my upgraded ASG-1), I put the CKM500 back into my ears after giving it a rest from some significant burn-in. Let me state this: you don't really realize what a fantastic sound these ATs possess until you step away from them for awhile and come back. I've heard some great bang-for-your buck IEMs (ASG-1, Audiofly AF45, the original price for the GR07, Isirus, and adjusted price Custom-3), but thus far this is the BEST bang-for-buck IEM I've ever owned. 

So let me cut my critics off and admit that I am a "fanboy" for the CKM500, and one of its premiere hypers!! There, I admit to it. So if you don't like to take recommendation or read impressions from a hype-man and "fanboy," please don't read any further. But for those who don't mind, Dsnuts has never been more right than when he recommended these. The bass is beginning to tighten up and the sound is just so refined for the money. And I've never really liked the AT house sound (I own the M-50 and it's a struggle for me to fully appreciate those headphone. I just ordered the Creative Live, which I hope I like better, along with my wonderful Fischer FA-011). Great job finding these low-cost gems, Dsnuts.

But when is he ever wrong?

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #697 of 1,921
Was browsing at the local CD rama when I chance across these (the box on the left);

For $78 local dollars (about US$59) I couldn't resist
evil_smiley.gif
 ...now I can try for myself what you guys are so excited about between these and the CKS77.

First impression out of box was like "OMG!"  if these sounds like that without burning, ...after they're done burning, I'm gonna be in heaven.

They're a totally different experience from the CKS77LTD and now that i think more about it, I'm pretty certain AT puts their QC'ed boxed IEM thru a brief burn in process.

<sigh!> Burn, burn ...and another one more to burn !  

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #698 of 1,921
Well, I didn't care for the CKM50 that much. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #700 of 1,921
Well I will be the first to admit I am wrong all the time about a lot of things. I suppose I am lucky more than skilled at finding these earphones. I blame it on my father who used to fill out our living room just packed with stereo equipment and speakers when I was a little guy. He used to throw on his headphones on me and make me listen to his old record collection. He owned the only record store in all of Suwon South Korea during the later 60s early 70s and met my mother that way. Lol..I suppose it is genetics that let me have a decent ear for good sound. The funny thing is I didn't know I had an ear for it until I got older in life. Which ultimately lead me to new discoveries in sound. Something about value and sound which is a hard combo to get right that is a challenge to me. I always thought good sound doesn't mean paying big bucks. Heck my Panasonic shockwave cassette player was not a huge amount in cash but the sonic bliss this combo had for me back in the day was my first foray into good sound. From a cassette player no doubt.

Anyway you guys enjoy them earphones I only hope there is more to come with AT that will astonish.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #701 of 1,921
Quote:
Well I will be the first to admit I am wrong all the time about a lot of things. I suppose I am lucky more than skilled at finding these earphones. I blame it on my father who used to fill out our living room just packed with stereo equipment and speakers when I was a little guy. He used to throw on his headphones on me and make me listen to his old record collection. He owned the only record store in all of Suwon South Korea during the later 60s early 70s and met my mother that way. Lol..I suppose it is genetics that let me have a decent ear for good sound. The funny thing is I didn't know I had an ear for it until I got older in life. Which ultimately lead me to new discoveries in sound. Something about value and sound which is a hard combo to get right that is a challenge to me. I always thought good sound doesn't mean paying big bucks. Heck my Panasonic shockwave cassette player was not a huge amount in cash but the sonic bliss this combo had for me back in the day was my first foray into good sound. From a cassette player no doubt.

Anyway you guys enjoy them earphones I only hope there is more to come with AT that will astonish.

Speaking of deal and good sound, inbox me the best place to find the cheapest FX3x, my friend, please? I can't seem to find it on Amazon.com. Thanks in advance.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #702 of 1,921
Hold off on the FX3X eric. I like them but there are some peaks in the upper mids lower highs that I am trying to burn out. I don't know. This may surprise but the cheaper FX101 is actually a more accurate sounding earphone and much better balanced in the highs an mids so far. But those have a good 100 hours on them so we will see. I will update as the aggressive burn ensues.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #703 of 1,921
Quote:
Hold off on the FX3X eric. I like them but there are some peaks in the upper mids lower highs that I am trying to burn out. I don't know. This may surprise but the cheaper FX101 is actually a more accurate sounding earphone and much better balanced in the highs an mids so far. But those have a good 100 hours on them so we will see. I will update as the aggressive burn ensues.

Okay, thanks!!

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #704 of 1,921
Mr Dsnuts and Mr Ericp10

You two are very, very lucky..why???

I got my CKM500's this morning...and at first listening was going to have a stroppy rant....but I thought...let them settle...they have been quietly be burning all day...now....I've started to have a serious listen..I'm actually playing Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds...fancied something different...which is Flac on my RoCoo-P...

Impression...

OMG!...I'm hearing instruments I've never heard before! bass is perfectly poised to pick the excellent work by Herbie Flowers...Justin Hayward's vocals are just haunting...the instrument separation is bang on!...sound stage is wide and alive...I'm in the middle of it all.

I think it's going to be a late night listening to a whole host of genre's just to see how these puppies perform...and then once they've had really good burn in, that will be interesting.

So as much as I hate to jump on the gravy train...well done guys!!

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #705 of 1,921
Quote:
does anyone know if the IS version of this IEM works properly with iphones? I know it won't have the controls but does the button answer calls etc? If so I may try these after i clear out a few items.

@Jasonb can you answer dweaver's question?..@dweaver I remember reading your review on the HP700 headphones which got me to get them a while ago. I think you will like these CKM500s quite a bit. If I read correct you like you mids am I right?  Well actually that is what is funny about these earphones they do just about all of it right the highs the mids and the bass certainly is not lagging behind. Look forward to your take on them when you get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back