The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #571 of 1,921
What UK customs...yeah...can just imagine those numpties...sat there listening to the headphones whilst letting 10Kg of Grade A Cocaine go merrily on by!...would n't even dream of mentioning any sentence with the word 'burn' in it...they'd see that as a glorious chance to have a bonfire with them!

May 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #572 of 1,921
Quote:
Good to hear...mine also left on th 28th arrive in UK late 29th...now sat in bloody UK Customs for 2 bloody days...still no bloody news.....miffed? completely...!. knowing UK customs might get here before the summer is out....looking forward to your initial feedback.

Well, mine is too. Maybe our customs clearance is brother in blood.

May 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #575 of 1,921
Quote:
Well, I can say that CKM500 DEFINITELY > FXT90. 

I'll A/B later with Atrio M5, TF10, ASG-1, and FX40.

How about a quick comparison with your old GR07?

May 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #576 of 1,921
Quote:
How about a quick comparison with your old GR07?

I shipped them off last week, so I don't really feel comfortable doing a comparison. I have a strong feeling I'll be ordering them again soon though..

I will say this: the CKM500 definitely doesn't lack sub-bass (Jarret 
tongue.gif
). I can't say how much it has vs the GR07, but the difference cannot be large.

May 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #578 of 1,921
Quote:

I can't say how much it has vs the GR07, but the difference cannot be large.

Well...that's a quick comparison right there.
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #580 of 1,921
Mine showed up today.  Doing the ritual burn-in over the next few days for requisite QC, etc.  

So far loving the lack of isolation and they are doing quite well at around 30-32dB.  They utterly fail the finger snap test which is perfect!  I can hear and understand the news on TV which measures about 40dB at my location w/ my meter.  It'll be two days at least before they go over 70 so can't say much till then.  So far nothing stands out that is pissing me off unlike some of the other phones mentioned but its early and remains to be seen.  Going to be interesting to compare against the Xcape v.1, B2 and MDT.

I would suggest wide bore tips btw, the nozzle is quite large and the stock tips seem somewhat constricting.  Using UE singles atm.  Short cable seems fantastic for flying, no excess to get snagged and rip the phones from your ears.  Really dig the AT carry pouch too with its faux rubberized velvet and snapping catfish mouth.

Edit - Doh!  There's no cinch.  >.<

May 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #581 of 1,921
Enjoy them CKM500s. Fellas..I don't know if comparos are necessary. If you get something that you can enjoy your tunes with full on. I say just enjoy them. I know there are many that are better and many that are worse. For me it doesn't matter much, all I know is these CKM500 on my DAPs sound fantastic. Hope you guys get as much sonic enjoyment out of these as I have.

Happy listening everyone..

May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #582 of 1,921
Quote:
Mine showed up today.  Doing the ritual burn-in over the next few days for requisite QC, etc.  

So far loving the lack of isolation and they are doing quite well at around 30-32dB.  They utterly fail the finger snap test which is perfect!  I can hear and understand the news on TV which measures about 40dB at my location w/ my meter.  It'll be two days at least before they go over 70 so can't say much till then.  So far nothing stands out that is pissing me off unlike some of the other phones mentioned but its early and remains to be seen.  Going to be interesting to compare against the Xcape v.1, B2 and MDT.

I would suggest wide bore tips btw, the nozzle is quite large and the stock tips seem somewhat constricting.  Using UE singles atm.  Short cable seems fantastic for flying, no excess to get snagged and rip the phones from your ears.  Really dig the AT carry pouch too with its faux rubberized velvet and snapping catfish mouth.

Edit - Doh!  There's no cinch.  >.<

The comply TS-500 tips are perfect for these IEMs (and I'm not a huge Comply fan). Anax is absolutely right about the wider the bore of the tips the better. 

eke, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can hear all of that sub-bass (great! I'm not going crazy)...ijs...

May 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #583 of 1,921

I will say this: the CKM500 definitely doesn't lack sub-bass (Jarret 
tongue.gif
). I can't say how much it has vs the GR07, but the difference cannot be large.

Well, to consider, each impression is relative. Jarrett's benchmark was the GR07, I presume you have a different one, different ways in which statements are coming from and things to consider. 

He mentions a lack subbass in comparison and the CKM500's bigger midbass boost. Now a response that gradually boost as it goes lower is going to be give you better perception of subbass regions, this is the GR07, similar to this [not a GR07 graph, just an example]. 

Now it's likely that CKM500s isn't lacking in subbass but there is a masking effect by the midbass. So even though the response may not be significantly lower in the subbass regions, it is harder to perceive due to the midbass/subbass balance and interaction. Similar to below [not a CKM500 graph, just an example]. 

Thus the impressions. 

Jarrett's statement can be taken out of hand. Nowadays, it's harder to find an IEM that's lacking subbass than one that isn't, don't think these are lacking in subbass (as in significantly dipping below 100hz), I presume this because that in itself is a rare case (significant dipping below 100hz) IME, specially with dynamics. It's that midbass/subbass balance that changes the perceptions. 

May 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #585 of 1,921
Quote:

The comply TS-500 tips are perfect for these IEMs (and I'm not a huge Comply fan). Anax is absolutely right about the wider the bore of the tips the better. 

eke, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can hear all of that sub-bass (great! I'm not going crazy)...ijs...

I read your TS-500 comment several pages back and ordered those puppies in advance of ordering the CKM500's. Alas, it took a good while for the CKM500'S to arrive. The Complys all sat there by their very lonesome. (I got the assortment pack so that I can learn which size is good for my ears.)

ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back