The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #181 of 1,921
I finally have had the CKM500s for a few days now. There was some shipping trouble on Ebay, but now they're here and here's my initial take.

I've been a huge fan of A-T for a while now. The CKM99s were one of my first purchases. They were a great pair of IEMs, especially for being A-T's first flagship dynamic IEMs. I loved their lively clean detailed sound. But I couldn't live with their spiky highs, so I moved on. They were one of the IEMs that I owned for the longest, too. 

When Dsnuts took off on his A-T hype tour, I couldn't just sit there and not go to the show. I didn't bother buying any CKMs since I already had the best ones (presumably), and ended up getting the CKS77s. Wow. They stunned me. A-T was really onto something with the new double chamber design tech. And now, they have implemented it into the CKM series.

I think the CKM500 use the CKS77's driver with some CKM style tuning. A-T did a masterful job combining the best elements of all its IEMs.
These have the CKS77's amazing tuning on the bass, but with a much milder presence in the sound.
A-T also took the time to touch up on the mids. Holy mids, Batman! The mids are smooth and so full and lively. They really put up a fight vs. my UM2's mids.
They also polished the highs! The clarity, this time around, is just brilliant. No spikes. Just totally clean and transparent.
The soundstage is vast and immersive with great positioning, just like the CKS77's.

Quote:
Nobody knows nothing about these. I bet if Joker reviewed these and gave them a 9.3 score which I feel these deserve,, People would take notice. Lol!

I've never been much of an optimist. I'll say a 9.1 
wink.gif

Guys. These are really fantastic IEMs. I don't know why the hell I paid $170 for the CKM99s and $80 for these. Right now I'm just enjoying the hell out of everything about these.

May 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #182 of 1,921
I must agree with you mugen. I had been using the ckm500's for almost a week now and i must say i am nothing short of impressed! the ckm77's sound muffled and sibilant compared to these. The transition between bass,mids,highs, and soundstage is mind blowing for the price. It really does nothing wrong! My setup is jds labs c421 (ad8620) > alo audio silver copper lod > ipod nano 6g > ckm500. The setup alone is more enjoyable than most of my gear. That includes dt1350,z1000,es88,L1,old skool rpm 33 1/3, and many more iems! I shall await the ckm700!

May 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #184 of 1,921
Quote:
How is the isolation 1-10 with stock tips?
Do the 300 have the same vented design? A wild guess would be that they isolate the same.

I am guessing yes as they have the same housing design that is on these CKM500s. So isolation is not great unfortunately.
But I do think that the design which calls for depth and detail needs venting. I noticed closed in earphones don't approach the detail of something like these CKM500.

Glad you guys are enjoying these CKM500s as I am.. I would seriously give them a sound score of 9.3 as I own many earphones that have a score of 9.0 plus.. These are my go to over them all day and night. Lol!. Tell it how you hear it. I agreed with both marlon and mugen..These get better and better with use too. You guys will see. My pair is just so damn SMOOOTH. Lol!.

One question. How you guys enjoying the sparkle in them highs.?

May 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #186 of 1,921
BG. I knew it. It was only a matter of time, I saw you looming around this thread.lol..Great to have you try these out my friend.. I am certain you will enjoy these. Let us know how you like em.  Different flavor from the CKS77s but worth owning..Depending on sound preference these might be more to your liking over them. I enjoy both but these CKM500s. These are hard to fault. I think maybe isolation and similar microphonics as the the CKS77 but beyond that. These are freaking awesome sauce..

May 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #187 of 1,921
Finally arrived! = D I heard metal (which I couldn't see anything special) and classical (Stravinsky's Firebird, I could see great separation of instruments and a good soundstage). I left them  playing Daft Punk to do the  burn-in because I'm not at home.
Can I use it at high volume ? (The friend who was with me once I got the phone tested by increasing the volume to the rafters in his player  D :) I'm afraid because I saw some people saying that the driver can burn ...

I will post some photos of my black pair later...

May 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #188 of 1,921
Quote:
Finally arrived! = D I heard metal (which I couldn't see anything special) and classical (Stravinsky's Firebird, I could see great separation of instruments and a good soundstage). I left them  playing Daft Punk to do the  burn-in because I'm not at home.
Can I use it at high volume ? (The friend who was with me once I got the phone tested by increasing the volume to the rafters in his player  D :) I'm afraid because I saw some people saying that the driver can burn ...

I will post some photos of my black pair later...

AT earphones are much heartier than most. I don't know about eardrum ripping volumes but I leave my pair burning with high volumes all day. Speeds the burn in a bit. No issues. I have never had a AT earphone pop or fry because of higher volumes. If you can hear music playing when you burn them that should be fine. Fairly loud but not at 10/10 I would say 6/10 to 7/10 should be ok..Happy listening.

May 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #189 of 1,921
Just found out wearing these around your ears actually reduces cable-noise a great deal. Awesome. :p

May 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #190 of 1,921
So... The black ones

"With" light
darthsmile.gif
(looks like the gold pair)

"Without" light
gs1000.gif
(near the original color)

With some burn in  and... WOW! Such a beautiful bass!The lows and mids are very clear too... 

The only problem is: the tips are very hard and i'm feeling a little uncomfortable... The small ones don't work properly... 

Thank you very much Dsnuts!
o2smile.gif

May 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #191 of 1,921
@Dsnuts, I saw that you value CKM-500 very high... Could it potentially be one of the best single driver dynamic IEM around? I assume this title is now hold by VSonic GR07. Have you by any chance compare this to GR07?

May 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #192 of 1,921
Quote:
@Dsnuts, I saw that you value CKM-500 very high... Could it potentially be one of the best single driver dynamic IEM around? I assume this title is now hold by VSonic GR07. Have you by any chance compare this to GR07?

You know that is something I am gonna have to do.. I like the GR07 quite a bit as they represent a very nice neutral style monitor type sound that is a basis for a great sound for sure.

That being said. My personal sound preference is one that is a bit north of neutral..What I mean by this. I like more highs mids and bass from a flat neutral sound. Too much and you get something like a monster earphone or ATs own CKS77 which are the most musical of all earphones I have. .Too little or least coloration and you get something like a EX600 or a GR07 which many on these threads hail as some of the best dynamics for good reason.. I answered a question earlier on this thread. If the Gr07 is a 50 in a neutral scale the CKM500s are more closer to a 60..But don't confuse this with anything sharp or sibilant or mid forward or too bassy or anything of the sort.. Just like it sounds 60 across the board..In fact the control of sound on these are 2nd to none.. Smooth clean detailed and very pleasing for all genres.

These basically are the exciting version of a neural balanced sound. IT seems to be ATs new house sound they are going for which I welcome greatly..A year ago it was more about the V sound signature and they are now paying full attention to mids. Would I put these CKM500s in sound ranking to a GR07.. Absolutely. These do everything right sound wise and are cheaper than the GR07 and a EX600. I mentioned this before but.. Guys on these threads have no idea how great these sound. These are the closest to the perfect sounding earphones that I can think of without being boring or lacking in any type of way. These have absolutely fantastic sound across the sound spectrum..Clean defined highs with sparkle..The mids are to die for on these. And the bass end is the tight and punchy type and does sub bass with ease. Add to this some new tech that AT has put on here that adds to the staging of sound and you get one earphone that gets a thread from me.  People that love neutral balanced clean and defined sound should not overlook these. For guys that want to take a chance on something new.. These will reward you just like it did for Mr. Victorreis777. Glad you are enjoying them my friend.. Don't just take my word for it..So far it seem to be 100% satisfaction..That is a new record for one of my treads actually.

I always get at least one person early on no matter how great the sound is that ends up hating one of my thread headliners. Lol! IT always happens. Some how I think these will definitely please the majority that gives them a chance.

@Victorreis777..You should try some Sony hybrids which are much softer tips..

May 14, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #193 of 1,921
Thanks Dsnuts... very good input...  may I ask for further questions: (hopefully not sensitive to the AT fans out there)... I used to have ATH AD700. I could live with it's lack of bass, but the one that made me decide to part with it was the treble section. It was too thin kind of treble. It made the treble has no body in it. I reckoned cymbals in the live music never sounded like that. Then I tried ATH-M50. Once again the similar approach on treble is on the M50 as well. In fact, ATH-W1000 has the kind of similar treble (the only sin on ATH-W1000 that I can depict :) ). I hope you could understand what I mean by thin treble... because I need to know whether the treble on CKM is thin like this or not?

Second question related to my preference... I like full sound. What I mean by full is not mid heavy or thick-on-mid but more for that for each frequency, whether it is on the bass, mid or treble, it should have body in it... (call it to have flesh and blood, in a more dramatic description :), but that what I'm chasing in sound... because that's what I hear on live music), so could you describe the quality of CKM500 in this regard?

Thanks,
David

May 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #195 of 1,921
Quote:
Thanks Dsnuts... very good input...  may I ask for further questions: (hopefully not sensitive to the AT fans out there)... I used to have ATH AD700. I could live with it's lack of bass, but the one that made me decide to part with it was the treble section. It was too thin kind of treble. It made the treble has no body in it. I reckoned cymbals in the live music never sounded like that. Then I tried ATH-M50. Once again the similar approach on treble is on the M50 as well. In fact, ATH-W1000 has the kind of similar treble (the only sin on ATH-W1000 that I can depict :) ). I hope you could understand what I mean by thin treble... because I need to know whether the treble on CKM is thin like this or not?

Second question related to my preference... I like full sound. What I mean by full is not mid heavy or thick-on-mid but more for that for each frequency, whether it is on the bass, mid or treble, it should have body in it... (call it to have flesh and blood, in a more dramatic description :), but that what I'm chasing in sound... because that's what I hear on live music), so could you describe the quality of CKM500 in this regard?

Thanks,
David

I own the AD700s. I only use them maybe once in a blue moon for gaming but even then I prefer my A900X. These sound nothing like a AD700. They sound more closer to a A900X. These sound like a high end Audio Technica product even more now that they are more refined. I know what you are saying about thickness of sound.. These are perfect.. My CKS77 would have the thickest sound for AT earphones. The older CKM33 sound just like the AD700.. These are right in the middle. In other words not too thick. not too thin.. The highs have great depth and thickness. When people describe mids as being lush.. They haven't heard the mids on these earphones. The bass has perfect impact and extension..I hate anything with no bass my AD700 included. These are on another tier over something like the treble happy thin bass light AD700 sound. Much much more refined.. Yet these actually cost less than a new pair of AD700s.

It seem you an I are alike in many ways including our names. Lol. Believe me these leave the old AD700 far behind..The sound on these things are nothing but class. The imagery is second to none..These have fantastic stage and depth of sound too.. You can make out rounded high notes and pick out every little detail with these.. Something you can't do with lesser earphones. Also the balance of sound after burn in is astounding. Clean full even sound. My vote for best sounding earphone this year so far.
Quote:
What I don't understand is: if they're go great (I suppose AT knows that
smily_headphones1.gif
) why don't have any plan to expand to EU and US?

One reason maybe is because they might be testing the waters with these for now.. Their older CKM earphones are still sitting on the shelves so they had to step up their game. The older CKM earphones never really took off..I can tell they learned a lot from the previous CKM earphones.. You guys don't know it but I do as I bought every single one. These are awesome sauce because of all the know how from previous CKM earphones. They took the best parts of them and then improved that sound and got these.. I am sure if these take off in Japan AT will consider releasing them world wide. The SQ of these $80 earphones are so superior to anything else out there less than a $100. In Japan they sell for like $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back