The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #166 of 1,921
Quote:
I had a go with the CKM300s today. These are quite darn close to the CKM500. Maybe not as good separation between layers. Wear comfort is better IMO because of smaller diameter size, while retaining the same elongated port design.

But bottom line: at nearly half the price, the CKM300 could very well be worth a try too. LOL.

The big question for me is if these have as the same microphonic cable as the CKM500?

May 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #170 of 1,921
I look forward to what you guys have to say about them.. I am listening to them right now actually..

To be honest, if you guys aren't impressed by these there is something wrong with you. Lol. These sound so good to me..As impressed as I was with the Last gen CKM earphones. These are it for me.. Again I have no idea how they are gonna top these on the future CKM700 but if these are any indication. I can't wait.

One new observation.. I took a good look at the back end of the earphones as these do not isolate so well which had me doubting how closed in the design was and I was right. These have vents on the side and the top of the back air chamber where it meets the housing..So given what I am hearing from these. More like a vented open design. I am not gonna argue with what AT has done to improve the sound coming out of these earphones.

I read so many. Help me find a good earphone threads. I can suggest these earphones but NO.. Nobody knows nothing about these. I bet if Joker reviewed these and gave them a 9.3 score which I feel these deserve,, People would take notice. Lol!

May 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #171 of 1,921
Quote:
Vocals don't sound perfectly clear, not as good as my M50s, will this clear up with burn in?

Burn em in..These sound better than the M50 imo. Way better balanced than the M50s. Vocals come in clear as day on my pair.. Burn in balances out the sound even more and smooths out the edges..

And another thing make sure you have the right sized tip for your ear size..This little tid bit is extremely important for proper sound..Too small or too big and you will not get optimal sound.

May 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #173 of 1,921
Quote:
Seems like it was just that audio file, they sound great on other songs :p

Very happy so far :D

Oh yea. I was gonna say. Anthony. Your not hearing it right. There is no way your not hearing vocals as clean as I am hearing them. In fact I will say these sound better than the majority of everything I have. There is just no way. Lol! Ya these are impressive. SO much so I had to make a thread based on them almost immediately after I got them. I recognized the improvements over the previous CKM earphones and here we go.

Enjoy them my friend, and now you know. Money well spent no?

Oh yea I was gonna mention. These are so detailed and precise if you have a bad music file these will definitely show it.

May 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #174 of 1,921
Thanks for your review of the CKM 500's! I was all set to drop the hammer on buying them when whoa. Now, we have CKM 300's that you are looking/listening to review. I pulled my finger back from the "Buy Now" button and I am awaiting your impressions of the 300's.

By the way, I took advantage of your words of wisdom at the time and bought the CKM50's at the ridiculous price of $24. I love them!!!! I see they are now up to anywhere from $60 - $80. Whatta bargain I got! These little guys just play such beautiful jazz! If the CKM 500's are better, then I am on board with them.

Of course, if the CKM 300's are as good at about half the price, hmmm......
Thanks Dsnuts!

May 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #175 of 1,921
Well. In this case. I am gonna give the over whelming thumbs up for the CKM500. Wait till you hear your Jazz on these..If you trusted me to get the CKM50s in the past. These are a substantial upgrade over the CKM50s. The sound is much more refined over them. The driver housing,  how the sound was tuned. These are much better balanced and the highs and mids are something special on these. I know the CKM300s just came out but believe me if you get those it will leave you probably wanting to try these out..I know the CKM300s are tuned similar to these CKM500s but these will have more refinements over those to justify the cost increase..

Old Ears. .Treat yourself to a nice upgrade from the CKM50s..Any one that follows any of my threads I will not recommend something that will not be worth your cash.. The CKM500 is a tremendous value and a special earphone imo. Worth every penny to get one.  

Based on the differences of the CKM33 and the CKM77. Both had similar tuning but the CKM33 sounded thinner and not as extended on both ends as the CKM77s.  While the sound tuning was similar I can tell the level of refinements on the CKM77 was at another tier over the CKM33. I am guessing the CKM300s will be the same to the CKM500s. Less refined yet retaining the same sound signature..Why get a taste of what the CKM500 sound like when you can actually get the CKM500 is my thought.  

May 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #177 of 1,921
Quote:
Not going to say much yet 
tongue_smile.gif

I may have to try another size of tips, isolation is about 3/5 at best. It could be that the housing prevents deeper insertion.

I'm curious about the cost of the CKM500. They sure don't sound like a $75 headphone, more like $100-120. Has it been stated what they regularly retail for?

Looks like the other eBay seller jacked the price up to $96. How can the other guy justify selling the same headphones for $25 more.

Also I burned-in for a good 20+ hours when I realized I left it in my closet to play for the whole day

May 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #178 of 1,921
You convinced me! I ordered the 500's from AceofBicycles this afternoon. Delivery to be sometime after May 16. I will get back to you when they arrive and I can push some jazz tunes thru them.
Thanks Dsnuts!

May 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #179 of 1,921
Quote:
You convinced me! I ordered the 500's from AceofBicycles this afternoon. Delivery to be sometime after May 16. I will get back to you when they arrive and I can push some jazz tunes thru them.
Thanks Dsnuts!

Lets just say from one Jazz listener to another. Wait till you hear your Jazz on these..I am guaranteeing you right now. These will throw a big smile on your face. You made the right decision. In fact the only one that is close to these for Jazz would be the much more expensive CKM77. Oh wait did I mention these CKM500s are a more improved version of those? lol. Can't wait to hear what you think about them..Coming from the CKM50. You are in for a very nice treat. I know you have read my review on these and my description but these simply has to be heard to know what I am talking about..

Burn in for these don't require bassy music even though that is what I use. Any music will be fine as long as it is played at medium/ loudish levels for a good week or so. I know I am hyping these up a bit for you but I am willing to bet since I own the CKM50s and I know why you like them..These are clearly at another level of sound..Just astounding for Jazz. I can't think of anything better for Jazz iem wise.

Some Ella Fitzgerald.
And Miles
George Benson
All sound lovely on the CKM500.

May 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #180 of 1,921
Quote:
I look forward to what you guys have to say about them.. I am listening to them right now actually..

To be honest, if you guys aren't impressed by these there is something wrong with you. Lol. These sound so good to me..As impressed as I was with the Last gen CKM earphones. These are it for me.. Again I have no idea how they are gonna top these on the future CKM700 but if these are any indication. I can't wait.

One new observation.. I took a good look at the back end of the earphones as these do not isolate so well which had me doubting how closed in the design was and I was right. These have vents on the side and the top of the back air chamber where it meets the housing..So given what I am hearing from these. More like a vented open design. I am not gonna argue with what AT has done to improve the sound coming out of these earphones.

I read so many. Help me find a good earphone threads. I can suggest these earphones but NO.. Nobody knows nothing about these. I bet if Joker reviewed these and gave them a 9.3 score which I feel these deserve,, People would take notice. Lol!

Joker seems to have highs standards for 9.3 though... if the FI-BA-SS is already at 9.3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back