The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #151 of 1,921
@Jarrett I have to admit your silver ones are clean looking.. It is nice to have color options. This is crazy thought but I was thinking the reason why they have many colors. People will start collecting colors and have you buy a bunch of em. Lol! That is my thought for the day.. In stead of putting a big price tag they had the made in Japan idea of collecting. Pokemon of earphones. I can see me getting more colors when I hope AT releases these world wide.

May 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #152 of 1,921
Quote:
@Jarrett I have to admit your silver ones are clean looking.. It is nice to have color options. This is crazy thought but I was thinking the reason why they have many colors. People will start collecting colors and have you buy a bunch of em. Lol! That is my thought for the day.. In stead of putting a big price tag they had the made in Japan idea of collecting. Pokemon of earphones. I can see me getting more colors when I hope AT releases these world wide.

Actually... I think it's just so that people have a wide range of colours to fit their fashion. Doubt many will collect (LOL)

May 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #153 of 1,921
That's because you haven't heard one yet.
ksc75smile.gif

May 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #155 of 1,921
Quote:
What I meant was there isn't a point owning so many of the same thing :wink:. However, I used to own the CKM55, these seems similar priced, probably a successor?

Yes but these aren't the sound upgrade to the CKM55s. These are the sound upgrade to the CKM77s. Which doesn't add up but trust me these have nothing to do with the fail that was the CKM55. Those are the worst CKM earphones and a mistake by AT..I loved my CKM77s until I got these.. These are the new and improved CKM77s.  

May 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #156 of 1,921
Quote:
Yes but these aren't the sound upgrade to the CKM55s. These are the sound upgrade to the CKM77s. Which doesn't add up but trust me these have nothing to do with the fail that was the CKM55. Those are the worst CKM earphones and a mistake by AT..I loved my CKM77s until I got these.. These are the new and improved CKM77s.  

I see, the CKM55s weren't that bad in my opinion, just lacking the mids. I liked the CKM77 and judging by what you said this is an improvement... sounds interesting. Maybe I will wait till local shops carry these before testing them out. 

May 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #157 of 1,921
Quote:

I meant to ask how do you think they improve with burn-in?

Yeah, they are pretty Terminator-silver looking. I figured none of my other headphones are in colours so why start now

May 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #158 of 1,921
Quote:
I see, the CKM55s weren't that bad in my opinion, just lacking the mids. I liked the CKM77 and judging by what you said this is an improvement... sounds interesting. Maybe I will wait till local shops carry these before testing them out

I always thought the highs on the ckm77 was some of the best AT made for any of their earphones as it sounds identical to the highs on my full sized A900x. For dynamics it really don't get too much better. Those same vivid clean sounding highs are on these ckm500 where the real improvemnt is in the mids. I don't know if I am more enamored by the highs or the mids. And bass end is perfect for this sound.  it is the tight and punchy style.  Add to this a new housing design that lets your sound have plenty of depth ,stage and speed and you get one earphone that deserve to be heard by fellow head fiers.  These don't get a higher recommend from me.  

May 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #159 of 1,921
Quote:

I always thought the highs on the ckm77 was some of the best AT made for any of their earphones as it sounds identical to the highs on my full sized A900x. For dynamics it really don't get too much better. Those same vivid clean sounding highs are on these ckm500 where the real improvemnt is in the mids. I don't know if I am more enamored by the highs or the mids. And bass end is perfect for this sound.  it is the tight and punchy style.  Add to this a new housing design that lets your sound have plenty of depth ,stage and speed and you get one earphone that deserve to be heard by fellow head fiers.  These don't get a higher recommend from me.  

I see, that does sound pretty good. 

May 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #160 of 1,921
Quote:

I meant to ask how do you think they improve with burn-in?

Yeah, they are pretty Terminator-silver looking. I figured none of my other headphones are in colours so why start now

the highs and mids just become so coherent and my pair the bass is tight .  More balanced out and just smoooooth...Check out some vocal music and these will throw a smile on your face.  These sound great for everything actually.  You notice how clean everything sounds? How are you liking your music on these?

Make sure you guys are getting a great sound seal on these or the highs will become too lively and bass will be too light. 

May 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #161 of 1,921
I had a go with the CKM300s today. These are quite darn close to the CKM500. Maybe not as good separation between layers. Wear comfort is better IMO because of smaller diameter size, while retaining the same elongated port design.

But bottom line: at nearly half the price, the CKM300 could very well be worth a try too. LOL.

May 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #162 of 1,921
Quote:
I had a go with the CKM300s today. These are quite darn close to the CKM500. Maybe not as good separation between layers. Wear comfort is better IMO because of smaller diameter size, while retaining the same elongated port design.

But bottom line: at nearly half the price, the CKM300 could very well be worth a try too. LOL.

AT is using the same driver that was in the CKM33 for the CKM300. Probably same driver with better tuning..The CKM33 sound very close to the CKM77 so it does not surprise me that the CKM300 would sound similar to the CKM500. I think I will wait till AT released these new CKM earphones world wide to get me a pair of CKM300s. It is good to hear that they are stepping up their entire earphone line and not just a few of them. The CKM700 can't come out soon enough for me..

May 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #163 of 1,921
Not going to say much yet 
tongue_smile.gif

I may have to try another size of tips, isolation is about 3/5 at best. It could be that the housing prevents deeper insertion.

I'm curious about the cost of the CKM500. They sure don't sound like a $75 headphone, more like $100-120. Has it been stated what they regularly retail for?

Looks like the other eBay seller jacked the price up to $96. How can the other guy justify selling the same headphones for $25 more.

May 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #165 of 1,921
His prices now start at $96, an increase of $10 from before. From the pictures, there are versions with a remote + extension cable and remote without the extension.

I'm now using the smallest tips. I was using the medium sized ones for two days and even though they fit, they were still too large, slightly painful, and the seal poor. The seal is much more comfy now and the bass is proper without EQ. I don't like blurting out initial impressions 
tongue.gif

CKM500 come with small, medium, large, x-large

Users who are viewing this thread

Back