The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #256 of 1,323

Quote:
Oh you don't have one? Lol I thought you was talking about the CKM50s all along. You have the CKM55s.

Now I can understand why you was a bit harsh on the score there. I agree with your take on the CKM55s. The older CKM50s are an actual upgrade over these CKM55s. This is yet another case of sound tuning gone wrong. I suppose AT caved in on what is more popular..More bass.  They sacrificed the highs for more bass then add to that even a thicker sound.Yikes..These CKM55 suck .hahaha. wow this is painful. Maybe the left ear all of a sudden stopped working and I had to return these.
wink_face.gif

I was so excited to get a better version of the CKM50s. They have sonic similarities but the the one part that is completely better on the CKM50s is the highs and it definitely has the right amount of richness in the sound without over doing it like the CKM55s.. You buy and you learn.

I am certain you can find a ebay retailer that will sell you one and send one to you if your interested.  I am surprised you would want to try these CKM50s with your experience with the CKM55s. But the more and more I am hearing them the more I am understanding why you didn't like them much. Believe me the CKM50 is the upgrade in sound over the CKM55.

@Joe.. Get a hold of a CKM50. NOT the CKM55 or you will be angry at me. Everyone stay away from the CKM55. These get a thumbs down from me. Can't recommend these the way they sound now and I don't think they will change enough for me to recommend them either.

I don't really want to deal with ebay because of potential fakes. I also cannot order from amazon myself because of the $20 S&H to Canada. If you would tell me how much to ship them to Canada on the cheapest possible route then I would pay you to buy them and ship them over.

Also, that score wasn't based on my opinion. It was calculated based on someone else's approximation and joker's own score for the FXT90's sound. I'm still wondering what joker would give the CKM55s.

Edit: $50 shipping. Another reason not to buy from ebay.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #257 of 1,323
this may sound stupid. i wear ath-m50 over ath-ckm50 and listen to them at the same time. i say it's great.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #258 of 1,323
My impressions of the CKM55s are now revised.. These aren't bad but I have to admit I was ready to get an upgrade in sounds over the CKM50s only to be handed a worse version. No wonder there are literally no reviews on these even after almost 2 years of release on them. The more and more I listen to them..Man I am disappointed. lol. These aren't anything special at all..Now I think about it these kinda remind me of the Panasonic HJE180s where the highs were just accents with this thick mids and bass section.

I truly doubt there will be fakes of these CKM50s. You gotta remember these was overlooked by almost everyone when they came out. If these were Sonys I would worry about that but. Cloning a non selling earphone has no logic. They might now though after these CKM50s finally take off.

The upper mid bass hump just kills these CKM55s. Wow what a disappointment. The CKM50s are better in every way minus the roomier sound of the CKM55 but like I mentioned before I would rather have a correct sounding CKM phone than have a roomier sounding one with more bass and less highs. Lol!!

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #260 of 1,323

Quote:

I don't really want to deal with ebay because of potential fakes. I also cannot order from amazon myself because of the $20 S&H to Canada. If you would tell me how much to ship them to Canada on the cheapest possible route then I would pay you to buy them and ship them over.

Also, that score wasn't based on my opinion. It was calculated based on someone else's approximation and joker's own score for the FXT90's sound. I'm still wondering what joker would give the CKM55s.

Edit: $50 shipping. Another reason not to buy from ebay.

Well, my score had nothing to do with joker's ranking of IEMs. I value his opinion here, but clearly don't like some things he likes and give high scores (the DBA-02 being a perfect example) and vice versa. You can't put joker's value system into something I clearly stated was MY opinion on how I hear the CKM50 in relationship to the FXT90. Well, I guess you can because you just did, but it's not accurate....lol.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #261 of 1,323
DSnut can you chime in on your thoughts on this versus the DN-12 Tridents? I need two IEMs. I picked a CKM-50 from this thread and I was wondering how it compares to a Trident and whether I should grab one of those as well. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #262 of 1,323

Quote:
Well, my score had nothing to do with joker's ranking of IEMs. I value his opinion here, but clearly don't like some things he likes and give high scores (the DBA-02 being a perfect example) and vice versa. You can't put joker's value system into something I clearly stated was MY opinion on how I hear the CKM50 in relationship to the FXT90. Well, I guess you can because you just did, but it's not accurate....lol.

I think he meant both things you said. Your own rating, and then Your own approximation on joker's reviews, the way he would probably review them.
EDIT: NVM

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #263 of 1,323

Quote:

+1 Agreed..He hears differently from all of us. I completely respect the man and his work will go down in Headfi lore as something great but. He also has a sound preference that is different than all of us so you have to take what he gives as a score as a basis for trying out a phone than gauge them as one being better than another based on the score alone. 

Quote:
DSnut can you chime in on your thoughts on this versus the DN-12 Tridents? I need two IEMs. I picked a CKM-50 from this thread and I was wondering how it compares to a Trident and whether I should grab one of those as well. 

I am gonna have to pass this one to another.. Anyone try the Dn-12 Tridents and have a CKM50? Sorry man never heard those. 

I am an self admitted noob when it comes to iems. I only know the ones I have unfortunately. I am learning though which is what these threads are all about.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #264 of 1,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I truly doubt there will be fakes of these CKM50s. You gotta remember these was overlooked by almost everyone when they came out. If these were Sonys I would worry about that but. Cloning a non selling earphone has no logic. They might now though after these CKM50s finally take off.

You'd be surprised at how well-known these are in Asia. Anyways, shipping costs way too much, so I need someone to buy it off amazon and send it over. I used joker as a source because a) he had a quantified score of the FXT-90 and b) he is a reputable source. I was just trying to show that you should be very cautious with approximations.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #265 of 1,323
Again, nothing I wrote had anything to do with ijoker. mbamg put joker in this, not me. 

I was asked MY opinion on how the CKM50 compares to the FXT90. And I gave MY opinion. No need to be careful in approximations. I trust my opinion over joker's. I've heard enough IEMs to know what sounds right or not right to my ears (I've heard just about every top tier out there). So, no offense to joker, but this wasn't about him at all, so you shouldn't had mentioned him when someone asked me MY opinion. That's all I'm saying. I stand by my rating of the CKM50 to the FXT90... But as I always tell head-fiers, you haver to hear them for yourself... 
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #266 of 1,323

Quote:
Again, nothing I wrote had anything to do with ijoker. mbamg put joker in this, not me. 

I was asked MY opinion on how the CKM50 compares to the FXT90. And I gave MY opinion. No need to be careful in approximations. I trust my opinion over joker's. I've heard enough IEMs to know what sounds right or not right to my ears (I've heard just about every top tier out there). So, no offense to joker, but this wasn't about him at all, so you shouldn't had mentioned him when someone asked me MY opinion. That's all I'm saying. I stand by my rating of the CKM50 to the FXT90... But as I always tell head-fiers, you haver to hear them for yourself... 
beerchug.gif

I said never mind =P, Guess I should have deleted that whole sentence and just said nothing at all XD.

Indeed, and we understand since you got the best of the best at 140 dollars (at the time I'm typing this) too bad those things will be out of reach for some people here at the moment :frowning2:. Someone else did, and that is mbamg, don't worry, wasn't an attack. Too bad hearing for ourselves isn't easy at all. -Bought them now, and I can't wait for tuesday! Hopefully they'll kick butt and chew bubblegum!

EDIT: Let me rephrase this...Indeed, we understand how you could IN YOUR Opinion compare both earphones. To ME, it is the best of the best earphones that anyone would like for that price. We understand you reviewed TWO different earphones at different SQs at different prices.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #267 of 1,323
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Like I said, at least he had a quantified score of the FXT90. If you could find me another score I would again recalculate the CKM50s based on that. Either way, I'm not basing my opinion of the IEMs on the scores.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #268 of 1,323
The FXT90 is not the best of the best. Oh boy.. Still missing the point, so I agree, let's forget it. Hope you enjoy the CKM50... Happy listening...

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #269 of 1,323

Quote:
The FXT90 is not the best of the best. Oh boy.. Still missing the point, so I agree, let's forget it. Hope you enjoy the CKM50... Happy listening...

So your point was that I shouldn't be making calculations at all as a) it's difficult to ascertain what criteria scores are based on and b) people have different preferences.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #270 of 1,323
So guys... since AT is a well known brand I figured I should find a lot of them in B&M stores here in Hong Kong, but maybe not exactly the CKM50.  So I'm thinking I should go to Mong Kok armed with a whole list of cheap AT IEMs (or headphones) people are interested in that I could buy and give impressions on.  Perhaps something that Dsnuts hasn't yet ordered?  Suggestions people?

(I mean I'd choose one off the list to buy and try, not the whole list. LOL!)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back