The ATH-A900Ti Appreciation Thread
May 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly the 900LTD and 950LTD might be the same 'phone... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this correct?

May 4, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 48
I've never heard of an A900LTD. The only thing I can think of is that someone is confusing the A950LTD and/or the A900Ti.

So does the shell ring at all?

May 4, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of an A900LTD. The only thing I can think of is that someone is confusing the A950LTD and/or the A900Ti.

So does the shell ring at all?

Yes, I think the post must have been in reference to the A900Ti.
So then, any comparisons between the A900ti and the A950Ltd or are they basically the same?

May 4, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 48
No, they are by no means the same. Aluminum vs. Titanium. And matte black (vs. shiny).

May 13, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review, yihfeng. I completely agree with you on everything you wrote about the highs. They're awesome, indeed. You wrote that the A900Ti is very well-suited for (female) vocal and jazz music. I don't completely disagree (as these types of music do sound pretty good on it), but I don't fully agree either. My AD900 has extremely warm and lush mids that make it a far better headphone for vocal music and jazz.

Well, I meant female vocals/jazz (or other treble intensive/acoustic) sound better on them than other genres. I didn't mean they are the best for those genres. As said, I don't have too much experience with headphones to begin with
wink.gif

Quote:

Also, I can't agree with you on what you think about the A900Ti's bass presentation. I think the bass is great. Even from the get-go it had better bass than my AD900. Which maybe doesn't have punchy bass, but definitely does output deep and textured bass. And as the Titanium does even better, it's a great basscan in my book. Probably not a DT770 by any means, but the bass goes way deep, is tight, has quite some weight behind it and is extremely well textured and detailed.

Well, I was actually comparing them to my previous speakers + sub. When you have a dedicated sub pumping out sub 30hz frequencies, it kind of makes anything the 900Ti can produce weak. It probably is a weakness of headphones (when compared to conventional speakers) in general, since they simply cannot reproduce the feeling of having few hundred watts driving a 10 inch driver.

That said, I want to revise my previous statement about bass. After burn in, I found the bass to be ALOT better. Its deeper, more tunely, more meaty. What was really bothering me (and I didn't realize at the start) was a dip in the lower-mids to the upper-bass. It kind of fooled me into thinking that it was lacking bass, when it really is the dip that was bothering me. It kind of changes the presentation of different music (kind of like equalisation). Some music that so happens to have bass notes in that region sounds light and weak. Some other very similar music with frequencies just off the dip, sounds energetic...

Quote:

The Titanium does indeed have a smaller soundstage than my AD900, but that's only to be expected from a closed headphone. On things like spaciousness and vocal presentation (mids) the A900Ti can't touch the AD900, but on any other aspect it eats it for lunch.

Indeed. With more burn in, the A900Ti is indeed a pretty fantastic pair of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Interesting...

Definite
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

I've got a question about the ATH-A900Ti that I haven't been able to find the answer to myself. Does anybody know how many of them were made? And how many did Audio-Technica make of the ATH-A900LTD and ATH-A950LTD? Which of the three headphones is the most exclusive one by numbers? Always nice to know...

I want to know too! I'm just wonder how many pcs A900ti on the market now! I sold my A900ti a few months ago and I was a bit regret. What is the best price right now?

May 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know too! I'm just wonder how many pcs A900ti on the market now! I sold my A900ti a few months ago and I was a bit regret. What is the best price right now?

I bought mine for AUD459
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevoultion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would the a900ti compare to the ad900?

See this thread. I think you'll find your answer there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yihfeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought mine for AUD459
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, that was what I paid for them, too. Bought mine from JITHK, an eBay reseller. Very respectable store. Shipping wasn't the fastest, but it had to come all the way from Hong Kong, so I didn't really mind. By the way, they had two when I bought mine. One they were selling in AU$ and one in US$. As the AU$ was really weak back then, there was quite a substantial price difference between them. A no-brainer, of course.

May 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 48
I never cared much for Jamie Lidell. Until I played Multiply (the song) with my A900Ti on my head. Nice! So nice, in fact, that I just let the album playing. I never really got any further than playing the hit single and then quickly switching to another song.

Much of my liking Jamie Lidell has to do with the A900Ti. The term PRaT gets mentioned once in a while, and man, does this headphone have it! I was actually rocking my head and was clapping my hands at one time. Darn, I love this headphone!

I'm still listening to Jamie right now, by the way...
atsmile.gif

EDIT: That reminds me of a sensation I had some time ago. That was also while wearing my A900Ti. I totally forgot I was wearing them and was completely sucked into the music. It was as if I wasn't in my living room, but somewhere else completely. Really cool sensation.

May 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think the post must have been in reference to the A900Ti.
So then, any comparisons between the A900ti and the A950Ltd or are they basically the same?

A900Ti is really realy good for closed headphone in this price range. I sold A900 and now own both A900Ti & A950LTD and they sounds a lot difference. (but still based on A900 Signature). A900 is more like A950LTD (also A900LTD?) than A900Ti. I'm not sure about number of pieces has been produced by ATH. (each 2000 pcs?)

IMO...

A900Ti is better at :
- Bass impact* (good amount & quality), Tonal balance* (midrange)
- Overall* : Acoustic, Pop, Rock, Hiphop, Electronic (lively)

A950LTD is better at :
- Treble, Soundstage (a bit Airy)*
- Jazz, Ballad (or other smooth & relax music)*

A900 Series are not good for full orcrestra (about 100 players) or a lot of instrument in 3D depth. But still ok because of their smooth & clean sounds. ^^
If someone don't like A900 soundstage, They may not like this 2 brothers too. But these phones are fantastic in terms of detail, seperation (L/R), smooth midrange & treble.

I love them both as same as my HD600 ... depend on type of music.
maybe love until I have budget to try A2000X. but don't know what "X" mean ^^'

May 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by yihfeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought mine for AUD459
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you! i found other source, the price is similar comparing to yours

May 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aruna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A900 Series are not good for full orcrestra (about 100 players) or a lot of instrument in 3D depth. But still ok because of their smooth & clean sounds.

Exactly. It's way better suited for rock and pop music, but especially well for electronic music, like dance (any dance genre, really). If you want an airy sound that's very well suited for orchestral music and jazz, that's where the AD900 steps in.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aruna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A900Ti is better at :
- Bass impact* (good amount & quality), Tonal balance* (midrange)
- Overall* : Acoustic, Pop, Rock, Hiphop, Electronic (lively)

A950LTD is better at :
- Treble, Soundstage (a bit Airy)*
- Jazz, Ballad (or other smooth & relax music)*

Great short comparison for these headphones! Thanks...

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 48
I am considering to buy the a900ti. I just have a great impression with them after hearing much about them. However, I have found that for this price range price (about $350 to $400) I can get D5000, HD650, DT880, K701, or even AD1000, which are really really great headphones. I just cant make a final decision. Therefore, I 'd to ask those who have already owned the a900ti that are they really worth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back