The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,056 of 7,071
Multi meter is broken......need to hit radio shack i guess.  

edit-dug the old cable out of the trash, gonna sit still and see if it starts cutting out, then if not, try the new cable one more time and if it does then it's the cable and i guess back it goes.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,057 of 7,071
Quote:
It is a bit more than just stutters, it is total dropouts, but they only occur after screen goes dark, and stop when you turn it back on or change the volume.

I don't really remember if it was stuttering or dropping out, but something was out of whack.  FWIW, I think the 1.21 firmware version has plenty of bottom-end slam with the JH16s.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,058 of 7,071
Yes but i have the 13's, so not as bassy.  The old cables didn't cut out, worked fine, even though they have a short, i just sat still.  So far, after over fifteen  minutes no drop out.  Haven't tried since the day i got them and took them out and replugged in the socket.  Maybe a connection thing.  Different song but still 24/96 just not in aiff.  Don't know if that would matter but my main concern really is damaging the 120.  The cables sound great but they are a bit big and stiff compared to the stock ones i was listening to.  Probably should have gotten the lowest gauge ones which i originally had ready to order.  I like my iem cables light i guess.  I'll know for next time around.

Crossing fingers music keeps playing.

Edit-Half hour still good.  So What is that burn in?  Now crossing toes too.
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,060 of 7,071
Quote:
Anyone is having problem with gapless FLAC at 96/24? It doesn't seem to work too well for a few albums of mine...

I'm also finding that FLAC 24/96 albums from HDTracks still have a very small gap between tracks that should flow together.  For example, Clockwork Angels by Rush.  I haven't had the time to play with different sampling rates or try my own rips from CD to see if they have "true" gapless compared to the 24/96 albums.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #2,063 of 7,071
Quote:
I'm also finding that FLAC 24/96 albums from HDTracks still have a very small gap between tracks that should flow together.  For example, Clockwork Angels by Rush.  I haven't had the time to play with different sampling rates or try my own rips from CD to see if they have "true" gapless compared to the 24/96 albums.

So it's an AK120 problem. CD's I rip are perfectly gapless, whereas 96/24 does have a tiny gap between tracks indeed. I'll chalk it up to being a 120 bug, since in Foobar2K the 96/24 tracks ARE gapless.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,064 of 7,071
My Dell doesn't :frowning2: And my MacBook Retina (late 2012) only works on one of the 2 usb ports (other gadgets works on both..).. The Macbook is basically a clean install with nothing on it. My dell laptop runs Win8.

EDIT: It might be a MiniUSB-cable issue of course, but still works on one port and not the other. I'll go buy a new cable later today just in case...

Hmm, seems 2 of my Micro-USB cables wasn't compatible somehow with the AK120.. Using a short cable that came with my Jawbone (bluetooth cellphone headset) and all USB-ports on my Dell works.. Weirdness :wink: So sorry for the "whining".. Seems the AK120 works well with both my Win8 (x64) and Mac OSX 10.8. Tested both usb3.0 and usb 2.0 ports and works flawlessly it seems. So today I'm throwing away a few crappy USB cables!

Back to dreaming of "sound profiles" on the AK120 :wink: I'd like some that's more bass focused as I have a few headphones like the DT1350 that sounds anemic on 1.21 FW. EQ'ing doesn't feel like a great solution either.. I feel I loose the openness and details when trying to add more "to the bottom (bass)"... So I'd love some sound profiles to make it easy to switch between my home Denon D7000's and my portable Beyer's DT1350. I bet it's pretty impossible to have "one sound" that fits all headphones :wink:

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,065 of 7,071
Quote:
It is a bit more than just stutters, it is total dropouts, but they only occur after screen goes dark, and stop when you turn it back on or change the volume.

I had that for the first time just today. I was playing Thriller in 176/24, paused it, and when I wanted to resume without turning on the screen again, it did stutter big time for around 10 seconds before returning to normal. In that time frame the player was stuck completely, meaning no turning the screen on, no volume change, no pause, etc, nothing would react.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,066 of 7,071
Quote:
what about the internal storage?
 no difference too?

Ok....just repeated the whole deal.  Very careful A-B-C blind testing internal storage vs. 32GB in slot 1 and 64GB in slot 2.  Copied the same 24/96 track to all 3 and had someone else switch them back and forth for me.  Can't hear any difference.  By the way, as always, I "thought" I could hear a difference until I made the switches blind.  I wonder if all those people who heard a difference with the AK100 are truly testing blind.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #2,067 of 7,071
Quote:
Ok....just repeated the whole deal.  Very careful A-B-C blind testing internal storage vs. 32GB in slot 1 and 64GB in slot 2.  Copied the same 24/96 track to all 3 and had someone else switch them back and forth for me.  Can't hear any difference.  By the way, as always, I "thought" I could hear a difference until I made the switches blind. 

I applaud you for taking a rational approach to the experiment. 
beerchug.gif

Originally Posted by harryb 

I wonder if all those people who heard a difference with the AK100 are truly testing blind.

A most fascinating question you've posed.....
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,068 of 7,071
Quote:
I am really distressed about the AK120 not working with my JH13's.  Both work with everything else but not with each other/unless an amp is in line between them.  Has anyone else gotten JH13's to work without having drop outs occur a minute or two after the screen light turns off?  It was kinda what i was going to use the 120 for at least half the time-ciem that can't be used without an amp in line really defeats the purpose.

AK120 firmware 1.0 was actually a quite good match for JH13 FP. :) Never had any drop out problem.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,070 of 7,071
Quote:

I applaud you for taking a rational approach to the experiment. 
beerchug.gif

A most fascinating question you've posed.....
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

Thanks much.  I can assure you that within a few minutes someone will point out that my Sennheiser HD600's are not as revealing as their headphones, hence my inability to hear a difference.  Either that, or they will simply point out that i must be tone deaf because it's a night and day difference to them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back