The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,051 of 7,071
Quote:
Yes girls just love men with lotsa techie toys....well known fact...
biggrin.gif

LOL 
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,058 of 7,071
Quote:
Oh yes...my wife nearly climaxed the first time she saw me wearing those DX1000 monsters.
blink.gif

Climaxed laughing that is......
confused_face.gif

LOL.........

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,059 of 7,071
I hope the wood is stabilized. Nice looking but I would be afraid of scratching it. An oiled finish? Curly maple? 

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,062 of 7,071
Some time have passed and I am confident with what AK120 is like. Here are my finding:

1-I still have strange experience with synergy with certain pairing (F111).
2-The sound has became mellow and wide U shape.
3-It is not high fidelity, it lacks the transparency and resolution that I would have liked from a device of such price.
4-Its treble detail is just on average. The overall sound is tend to be toward the warm side.
5-Battery life is as advertised.
6-I hear audio anomalies (clicking when playing back certain mp3 files)
7-Its output signal is not as silent as the AK100.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,063 of 7,071
Quote:
Some time have passed and I am confident with what AK120 is like. Here are my finding:

1-I still have strange experience with synergy with certain pairing (F111).
2-The sound has became mellow and wide U shape.
3-It is not high fidelity, it lacks the transparency and resolution that I would have liked from a device of such price.
4-Its treble detail is just on average. The overall sound is tend to be toward the warm side.
5-Battery life is as advertised.
6-I hear audio anomalies (clicking when playing back certain mp3 files)
7-Its output signal is not as silent as the AK100.

I know what you mean about the clicking/popping noises. That happens sometimes during playback. I'm not sure if that is the DAC having a hard time keeping up with processing? It doesn't happen all the time though but it does happen.... Regarding sound, I'm very happy with the sound quality. I'm curious though I thought the AK100 sound was a big disappointment to you? I just don't find my former unit comparable to the AK120 personally....

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,064 of 7,071
Quote:
I know what you mean about the clicking/popping noises. That happens sometimes during playback. I'm not sure if that is the DAC having a hard time keeping up with processing? It doesn't happen all the time though but it does happen.... Regarding sound, I'm very happy with the sound quality. I'm curious though I thought the AK100 sound was a big disappointment to you? I just don't find my former unit comparable to the AK120 personally....

AK120 is certainly an overall upgrade from AK100 and I do enjoy it quiet a lot but passed the 60 marks (for my headphones) the signal out seems to deteriorate. That issue becomes more obvious when I feed the signal to the O2. I need to turn the volume down to 55 to fix it. 

I am not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software but I never had that issue with AK100. But truth be told I had a lot more other issues with AK100. For me those issues are not as a big deal and it certainly is a capable performing DAP (ignoring its price) however its high price tag will simply cannot allow me to ignore those issues no matter how minor they might be.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,065 of 7,071
Quote:
Well the wood is natural dry (10 years perhaps).
It's like accustic guitar finish strength, polyurethene.
The wood called tiger, not sure it's a maple but it's flame.

That's great. Curly maple is hard to get anyway, always has been. Very nice. Challenging and well done work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back