The Astell & Kern AK120
May 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #228 of 7,071
I recently compared the UI usability between the AK100 and AK120. The AK120 is so much better now and most of the criticisms has been address:- 

- the battery meter is now linear and accurate. Down to where the indicator turns red, there is still a good 2 hours playback before a diagonal line appears on top of the battery meter. At this point, I think it is near the full discharge. I have never run the battery flat, so no idea of how much more playing time when this shows, as I switch off manually at this juncture

- it is much faster to navigate through the the player, as there is now a home button on the playing screen and a back arrow. The home buttons takes you directly to the albums, artists, MQS, etc etc. page. There is also a functions icon here to navigate the set up.

- gapless play works perfectly

However:-

- each start up still takes a while

- scanning the files takes about the same amount of time as the AK100. So changing the settings to manual scan is by far better

May 14, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #232 of 7,071
Quote:
Just placed my order for the AK120, looking forward to comparing it with AK100, I really hope it doesnt disappoint me. 

Congratulations......

Give it 4-5 days solid playing time...

Out of the box, it is rather disappointing and you will be kicking yourself. I know I did as I was walking out of the the shop and thought $1400 down the drain. However, even after 2-3 hours, the performance already surpasses the AK100
size]

May 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #237 of 7,071
Quote:
Better hope it doesn't come down to that.
wink.gif

i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D
I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.

May 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #238 of 7,071
Quote:
i hope not, I already promised my relatives one of them.... :D
I am really hoping that the Ak120 sound good, not only for the sake of my money but for the sake of my trust to once a great company who gave us the HA120.

Nothing so far, even the HM901 has soundly defeated the HDP-R10 so I feel really good about my purchase. 

May 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #240 of 7,071
Nup, but people say that the HM901 is only a bit better than the DX100 and I find the HDP-R10 to be quite a bit better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back