The Astell & Kern AK120
May 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #91 of 7,071
Should be interesting. I wonder how much people will spend for a DAP? If one can come up to near the standards of a home player, for line out to a system, then the versatility makes it more palatable. 

May 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #92 of 7,071
Quote:
Hi JmoonAK,

Can it be confirmed by iRiver that the AK120s will not be released to the USA market until July 2013?  And as soon as you
know the MSPR, please pass this information along.

Thank you,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie.

No word on the US release as of yet and Head-Fi will be the first ones to know about the US MSRP of the AK120.

May 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #96 of 7,071
1299 USD and 1499 EUR respectively. This wouldn't be surprising at all. European prices get more ridiculous every year. They are supposed to sign this US-EU free traded agreement "possibly soon enough". I hope this indeed goes through.

May 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #99 of 7,071
It is on the web with a stated price of $1300 by a number of sources so they got the information somewhere and I would assume with the number stating this price, it would be substantiated. 

May 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #102 of 7,071
All these negative comments on the price...I think I know what the problem is. Because of a site like head-fi, we have a feeling of inclusion and belonging. We're all the same, we all have a passion for music and sound. But the truth is we're not all the same. I can't afford this DAP, but you know what? It's not targeted towards me, it's targeted to those who can afford the very best. When things are prohibitively expensive, reality sets in and you realize that we're not all in the same boat. For some people that realization is disconcerting. But should you really be pissed about this?

May 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #103 of 7,071
Quote:
All these negative comments on the price...I think I know what the problem is. Because of a site like head-fi, we have a feeling of inclusion and belonging. We're all the same, we all have a passion for music and sound. But the truth is we're not all the same. I can't afford this DAP, but you know what? It's not targeted towards me, it's targeted to those who can afford the very best. When things are prohibitively expensive, reality sets in and you realize that we're not all in the same boat. For some people that realization is disconcerting. But should you really be pissed about this?

Not pissed, agahst. And that is the problem with tiered-fi. Comes a point in any sentient beings life where value judgements are necessary. If you happen to be in a place where about 1500 bucks (after taxes) is absolutely nothing to you, then by all means go ahead and buy it. If you are looking for the best value for that same 1500 bucks, then quite simply your money is easily spent elsewhere.

Somewhere along the line 1970's value systems took over in boutique fi and outrageous prices instantly command credibility in sound quality.

May 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #104 of 7,071
I just tried the AK120. Not blown away. Maybe the subtle sound signature is lost on me. I will go back later for round two.

Also tried the RWKA100 and Mezzo Mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back