The Astell & Kern AK120
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #6,932 of 7,071
I've never even switched BT on and I've had the ak for two years. It doesn't have aptx so rthe quality probably isn't great.

Hi, I'm not an expert but so far I would say no you can't. When the usb is connected the player detects it and offers the three options, pretty sure playing a track doesn't produce any sound. I connect mine via optical, using the headphone jack. Can anyone tell me what the other hole is and how to use it?? Also Bluetooth has been 99% failure rating, how's yours been?

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #6,933 of 7,071
Hi, I'm not an expert but so far I would say no you can't. When the usb is connected the player detects it and offers the three options, pretty sure playing a track doesn't produce any sound. I connect mine via optical, using the headphone jack. Can anyone tell me what the other hole is and how to use it?? Also Bluetooth has been 99% failure rating, how's yours been?

You can connect an optical cable to the other input (OPTICAL IN Port) to use the AK as an external DAC. This is mentioned on the AK User Manual you can find here, page 3:

"OPTICAL IN Port: Use an optical cable to play music stored in an external device with a SPDIF-OUT (Optical Audio) port on the device"

Hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #6,934 of 7,071

Regarding BT, it works "well" as long as you don't try to stream high resolution files such as 192kHz/24bit files. Up to 48kHz/24bit you should be ok.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #6,938 of 7,071
Jan 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #6,940 of 7,071
Help; i just upgraded the firmware on my 120ii and while everything works i no longer have an option to access the settings menu. Is this normal or is there a press of buttons sequence required to access the settings now?

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #6,941 of 7,071
Nevermind, pull down right hand corner...

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,942 of 7,071
Any Mac users here also totally frustrated with Android File Transfer and AK's software? Im returning my player today and I hope they'll fix this some time, after which I may switch back.

I can transfer between 6 and 18 tracks before it hangs and dies, requiring disconnect/reconnect or even a reboot. At more than 6k tracks, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have gone so far as to build my own software, and lo and behold its an issue with AK and not MTP and Macs.

If you're a Mac user, please take a look at this thread where Im trying to drum up support for getting them to fix their stack.

Please, no PC vs Mac trolling or "Discussion"

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #6,943 of 7,071
I transfer files, mostly FLAC, some high-res WAVS, using a simple directory, open in two panels - one for the source folder, the other for the AK120.
While this is on a PC, I don't see where a similar technique would be a problem with a Mac.

Proprietary software just makes things needlessly complicated. Just plug into the USB port and flow the files.

You can use some other software like Media Monkey to tweak the tags at a later date.
(Not sure if MM works with Macs. If not, I'm sure there are others.)

MS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back