The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #6,916 of 7,071
  ​I am relieved that at least they are willing to service the unit and replace the battery. Not too long ago A&K in the U.S. was not even responding to multiple requests for assistance, whether by email or phone, and it seemed to some of us that we just would have to throw the unit in the river when the battery finally died.

I got a response from them too. I sent an inquiry on why my Macbook Retina wasn't playing nice with my AKjr. There was no sound coming out of the AKjr when using it as a DAC. They sent me a picture of their Macbook Air connected to the AKjr. Not very helpful people over there. Long story short not all Macs are compatible with A&K DAP's being used as DAC's which I figured out with the help from people on this forum.

Here is the picture they sent me.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #6,917 of 7,071
Out of curiosity I made a phone call and checked for myself

Cost is $59.00,

..Not too bad but still too expensive.
You can have an automobile battery change for less.

source:
http://www.99contactsinfo.com/electronics/iriver

Iriver America details:
Iriver Inc
39 Peters Canyon Rd Irvine, CA 92606
Phone: +1-949-336-4540/41
EMAIL: support.inc@iriver.com,
USA official address:  www.iriverinc.com

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #6,918 of 7,071

If the original battery, it is necessary to peel the top label and read the inscription.
The photo shows: 7.4Wh and China :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #6,919 of 7,071

Cost is $59.00,

source:

Iriver America details:
Iriver Inc

​Thanks. $59? I'll happily take it. Given the way A&K prices everything so high, I was thinking $200.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #6,922 of 7,071

Cost is $59.00,

source:

Iriver America details:
Iriver Inc

Awesome. Thank you. Much more viable option. At least there is something available to us who purchased a legacy unit. Factoring in their intended prices for the unit I can't complain much on their asking price. Battery should last you a couple years if not more.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6,923 of 7,071
Wow, are people having the battery die already?  I guess it's been a few years...LIOn batteries are well known for having a short lifespan...when I bought my AK 120 II unit, I asked my retailer to check with the Australian distribution on replacement batteries etc, which he did, and he was assured that it wouldn't be an issue.  I might just see if I can buy 3 or 4 replacement batteries, although I doubt iRiver will sell the batteries to you, they probably will only replace batteries in your dying unit upon request.  

This is the particular issue about such niche products - after sales service and support.  In Australia, manufacturers/distributers are only obliged to keep spare parts for 5 year after a unit has been retired from retail sale.  That's not a long time, especially for such expensive items as the AK units.  It used to be 10, but our pro business Liberal government decided it was in the best interests to protect business rights and not consumers rights...bleh...

Anyway - onto the reason for my post - has anyone had issues with the AK 120 II unit being detected and working correctly under Windows 10?  I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop that i use for music transfer to my AK unit but may look to upgrade to Windows 10 before the freebie expires...that said, thank God I don't use this as my day to day laptop - just spent 4+ hours fixing an update issue.  Microsoft needs a new logo;

"Microsoft - still making crappy software after all of these years!"

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6,924 of 7,071
AK120 titan is happy with the latest Sandisk 200gb cards so I now have half a TB of storage on a hi res player. Very happy!

Also this is still the highest capacity AK player made!

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #6,925 of 7,071
  AK120 titan is happy with the latest Sandisk 200gb cards so I now have half a TB of storage on a hi res player. Very happy!

Also this is still the highest capacity AK player made!

Well yes, thanks to the greed/laziness of DAP manufacturers, you have to pay 3500$ for a DAP that has 256Gb + 1 slot in 2016.
When you could store as much music with a standard AK120 in 2013 (1000$ at the time).

This is called "progress" and I blame people who are silly enough to pay more to get less in the name of SQ/hi-res/chipset xyz/(insert non measurable feature here).
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #6,926 of 7,071
Tidal comes to AK120?, Or just comes to the new version of A&K DAP's

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6,930 of 7,071
Hi, I'm not an expert but so far I would say no you can't. When the usb is connected the player detects it and offers the three options, pretty sure playing a track doesn't produce any sound. I connect mine via optical, using the headphone jack. Can anyone tell me what the other hole is and how to use it?? Also Bluetooth has been 99% failure rating, how's yours been?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back